best budget horsepower increase for a 1996 4.0 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

best budget horsepower increase for a 1996 4.0

So, what would it be? I have heard changing to a later model intake helps. Is this true? What other budget mods might help. Just looking to add a little extra oomph.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Performance and Power

Home Page

2000 WJ 4.5L - Stroked, Locked, & Long-Armed
Looking for 6" WJ springs!
post #3 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Really???? You posted WJ mods when his question is on a ZJ? Are they the same?

-Jesse-
GO DUCKS!

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove

post #4 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Yes they use the same 4.0 engine. There are subtle differences between parts like the heads, ignition system, intake, accessories, but they're essentially the same for all the I-6 engines. The only mod I didn't see included was the later model 4.0L intake swap.

2000 WJ 4.5L - Stroked, Locked, & Long-Armed
Looking for 6" WJ springs!
post #5 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

I'd say your best bang for the buck would come from an exhaust upgrade (headers, bigger pipe, high-flow muffler/cat, etc.).

"The" Matt | '00 Limited WJ | "The White Wolf" aka "Willow" aka "Cool Whip" aka "Sweet 'N Low" aka "AKA"
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
post #6 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Not sure about horsepower, but when I put on a throttle body spacer it helped out a lot with my shifting, especially when pulling my trailer. Plus I got it for $20 at the JY.

'93 ZJ, 4.0L, D30 & D35, NP231, 4" Lift, 31" BFG's, Soft 8's, Painted Cladding, Glasspack, JVC Deck, CB, Lightbars, JKS Discos & TB, Tow Hooks Everywhere...more crap.
post #7 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed4x4 View Post
Not sure about horsepower, but when I put on a throttle body spacer it helped out a lot with my shifting, especially when pulling my trailer. Plus I got it for $20 at the JY.
Question......

Was it a "Helix" or Spiral TB spacer or just straight through???

I ask because I had a Helix one on my 5.9l Dodge and I saw very noticable gains in throttle response and low-end torque. As well as MPG increase.

I was thinking about getting one for the Jeep.

-Jesse-
GO DUCKS!

post #8 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
rodd88
1994 ZJ 

I found that upgrading the old restricive pipes on a GC (OEM being 2 inches) to a 2.25 inch pipe my GC doesnt find the need to downshift so often and has more oomph and spicey-ness. According to KOR they run fantastic and wondiferus with 2.5 kolak system. I did a 2.25 because i needed to get it done, slapped on a high flow cat, a flowtech raptor and that was all. I also cut off the plastic that restricts air up on the grill. Now as it idles you can hear the thing sucking air, and when i hit it as well. I run a K&N drop in filter as well though.
post #9 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Helix.

It is one that JCWhitney sells for like $80. No different sound like some claim though.

'93 ZJ, 4.0L, D30 & D35, NP231, 4" Lift, 31" BFG's, Soft 8's, Painted Cladding, Glasspack, JVC Deck, CB, Lightbars, JKS Discos & TB, Tow Hooks Everywhere...more crap.
post #10 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post
Question......

Was it a "Helix" or Spiral TB spacer or just straight through???

I ask because I had a Helix one on my 5.9l Dodge and I saw very noticable gains in throttle response and low-end torque. As well as MPG increase.

I was thinking about getting one for the Jeep.

Helix.

It's one like JCWhitney sells for $80. No different sound like some claim though.

post #11 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM
squashman702

1994 ZJ 

1. TB bored to 63MM
2. Cone filter
3. 99+ intake manifold
4. Header
5. Kolak 2.5" exhaust

Think Twice Garage
"I guess I'd just run it?"
post #12 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Max713

1997 XJ Cherokee 

THROTTLE BODY SPACERS DO NOTHING.
ZIP.
NADA.
NO WAY JOSE!

Im so tired of seeing these threads, we all know when we put something "go fast" on our rigs, we expect to see gains, and we allow ourselves to "see" a change a little to hastily. There have several to test throttle body spacers, all getting the same result.

Heres one great example, WITH a response from the manufacturer:

And yet another 4x4 forum quote:

Throttle Body Spacers (Primarily the "Helix" style):
These spacers do not provide any gains in HP at all. They claim to increase TQ and MPG but we tested one and it gained nothing. The Dyno showed no gains in HP or TQ. We also had contacted one of the manufacturers for their comments on them and here's the direct quote (from email):
--------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: AIRAID.COM Contact

Dear Sir, thank you for your inquiry in our products. The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end. If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to. You would not see any gains down the 1/4 mile or increases on the Dyno. The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage. In most cases when people install a bolt on part they expect better mileage and power, what happens is they are into the throttle a lot more than before trying to test performance and that's when the decrease in mileage happens.
Sincerely,
<Airaid Technician>
-------------------------------------------
Points to look at:

"The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end."
"If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to."
"The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage."
So...it doesn't make any more HP, is not supposed to help in 1/4 mile performance (or on the Dyno), and is mainly for mileage and bottom end Torque. Well, Dyno's show TQ figures and there were no changes, mileage stayed the same, and 1/4 mile performance wasn't affected on the several others who have tried it"

There are two ideas behind spacers; one is they create a vortex or spinning effect on the air passing through the intake, which translates to better combustion. Unfortunately any vortex created, if any, would soon be dissipated after traveling through the intake manifold and valves.
The second, the 1" longer path for air travel in the intake supposedly allows more time for the air and fuel to atomize. Anyone with half a brain could come to the conclusion that an extra 1" in distance is extremely minimal in comparison to distance and volume of the rest of the intake track.

I've only every seen proof of gains from a throttle spacer once, and this was with nitrous. Apparently nitrous atomizes much faster than fuel and air, when nitrous was used in conjunction with a throttle body spacer, they saw a gain of 1whp, 2wtq on the dyno. Wow... am I right...

Please pass this information on.
post #13 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Hmmmm.....so let me see, my experience with a TBS is EXACTLY what AiRaid claimed. Interesting.... considering that is where I got mine from....WIERD!!!

I had NO OTHER mods to my 5.9 and I saw 2mpg increase with normal driving.

They are a relatively cheap mod, so I say try one before you go and dispute their claims.

Let me reiterate, my experience was EXACTLY what the TBS was designed to do. Increase drivability through better low-end torque and better mileage. NEVER did I claim more horsepower.

The results will vary from engine to engine but I just may buy one still. My experience was all too positive for someone to sway my mind because they have never used one.

-Jesse-
GO DUCKS!

post #14 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Max713

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have not seen nearly as many tests on the MPG aspect, and as you can see I didnt dispute that aspect in my post as I have no proof.
But I will tell you, I saw absolutely no gains in any shape or form on my 5.2L in my dodge dakota.

And as far as changing drivability, I dont buy it. Any noticeable change would be visible on the dyno in some shape or form, dyno's show you differences in low rpm torque. Its impossible to have "better" low end torque, without being able to see it on the dyno. The only thing else I could imagine changing drivability down low would be your AFR ratio, and the dyno will read that too.
You can argue what you "feel" all day, but until you have some proof I will argue my point into the dirt.

To reiterate, I dont think you will see any gains in mpg, but I have no proof so I wont argue it. But I have owned a TBS, and I have seen proof that it wont effect power or drivability, and I will argue that.
post #15 of 68 Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Krayzie949

Honestly, my father's cousin owns a machine shop. Everytime somebody wants to come in and make more power, he tells them the easiest way is to port the head or heads. If you read up on it you could even do it yourself. Just my .02 cents.

2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.5" RE Superflex Lift
1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 4-speed
1977 Trans Am (original owner)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in