2Likes
  • 1 Post By GOLDWING
  • 1 Post By wingless

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
wpatters1229
1995 YJ Wrangler 

battery keeps draining or is it bad?

This is a battery in a 1993 jeep grand Cherokee. It sits for 3 or 4 days and the battery drains down to barely able to start. The alternator is good but for some reason, it is either being drained or can not hold a charge. I tested the drain at .369 volts when everything is off. From what I have read this is normal for this car.
My other question is how do you know if a 1 yr old battery is bad? it has been drained down to almost nothing because the jeep sat for a while why we tried to get funds to repair the engine. Will that kill the battery? It will take a charge from a battery charger but 3 or 4 days later it is run down.
How to test if there is a bad cell? I have a hydrometer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229 View Post
This is a battery in a 1993 jeep grand Cherokee. It sits for 3 or 4 days and the battery drains down to barely able to start. The alternator is good but for some reason, it is either being drained or can not hold a charge. I tested the drain at .369 volts when everything is off. From what I have read this is normal for this car.
My other question is how do you know if a 1 yr old battery is bad? it has been drained down to almost nothing because the jeep sat for a while why we tried to get funds to repair the engine. Will that kill the battery? It will take a charge from a battery charger but 3 or 4 days later it is run down.
How to test if there is a bad cell? I have a hydrometer.
Charge the battery and disconnect it from the ZJ. Take a voltage reading with your DVM. Check the voltage a day later and if it is lower, have the battery load tested. If the voltage stays up, youtube Eric the car guy, (parasitic drain)

GW
wingless likes this.

"The Dude Abides"
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 09:39 AM
Mel63
1994 ZJ 

I was having the same issue with a battery that was less than a year old, checked everything for a draw, finally had the battery tested and it proved to be bad, got a new one under warranty and have not had a problem since... who would have thought lol

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 09:58 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
Charge the battery and disconnect it from the ZJ. Take a voltage reading with your DVM. Check the voltage a day later and if it is lower, have the battery load tested. If the voltage stays up, youtube Eric the car guy, (parasitic drain)
This is correct.

When I test my battery, I first bring it to 100% state of charge, let it sit disconnected for a day, then use my carbon pile load set to discharge a good battery at the C/20 hours rate, where C is the battery Ampere-hour rating, such as 100Ah. In that example 100Ah/20h = 5A discharge load applied.

A battery with usable life will have greater than 50% capacity, or 10 hours of discharge life.

GOLDWING likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in