Ball Joint Press and Install Tool? What can a BJ press do besides Ball Joint R&R? - JeepForum.com
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
95-ZJ
Registered User
 
95-ZJ's Avatar
1930 CJ2 
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 182
Ball Joint Press and Install Tool? What can a BJ press do besides Ball Joint R&R?

Good morning Jeep Family!

After a cup of Joe, I got to thinking and second guessing. Did I make the right choice? Could I have got a different or better, more versatile ball joint press than the affordable 10 piece Orion kit I've got coming.

Here are the specs

Heavy Duty Ball Joint Press & U Joint Removal Tool Kit with 4x4 Adapters, for Most 2WD and 4WD Cars and Light Trucks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9D8M9H...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Cost $44.00 shipped (minus tx)

So, guys, what else can this little kit do besides ball joint removal and installation?

It seems it can and will, if used properly R&R u joints as well. Super extra feature right?

Well, I got to thinking some more and thought "what else needs to be pressed out" on a 93-98 ZJ?

How about the upper control arm bushings on the front axle of a Dana 30 on JGC 4WD models?

Has anyone here on JF used this tool or one like it to remove and re-install the press fit metal cups and bushings that go into the two upper control arm connection link points?

I think it will also work for this application but haven't got it in order to try it. I dont want to break the tool so anybody, chime in and give your opinions or experience with this tool?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions for use, opinions, or replies.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk



Last edited by 95-ZJ; 05-19-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added addl. Info
95-ZJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 10:19 AM
Mr. Puddles
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 863
Garage
I used it to replace the control arm bushings on my d30

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
HighLonesome and 95-ZJ like this.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
Mr. Puddles is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 10:38 AM
nick613
Registered User
 
nick613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 196
Should definitely be able to do U joints. I have a similar one and have done piles of U joints on my ZJ and on my 3/4 ton. For $44 its probably pretty poor steel, should be fine for the lighter duty ZJ components but just be careful not to push it too hard or it could bend.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
95-ZJ likes this.
nick613 is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
95-ZJ
Registered User
 
95-ZJ's Avatar
1930 CJ2 
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post
I used it to replace the control arm bushings on my d30

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Mr. Puddles,

Do you have this same kit or the larger version with more accessory cups and etc.

Could you explain how you used the c clamp and which size cup worked for you when removing your D30 upper bushings? It looks self explanatory mostly but thought Id ask, as, every bit of knowledge helps, with less fumbling around looking for the right cup or plate Or having to order something I dont have on hand now? Thx

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
95-ZJ is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
95-ZJ
Registered User
 
95-ZJ's Avatar
1930 CJ2 
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick613 View Post
Should definitely be able to do U joints. I have a similar one and have done piles of U joints on my ZJ and on my 3/4 ton. For $44 its probably pretty poor steel, should be fine for the lighter duty ZJ components but just be careful not to push it too hard or it could bend.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Nick613,

I plan on anti seizing the threads and manually tightening the screw. Any other suggestions on use to get out and replace the dana 30 upper bushings before installing new factoy type control arms? Btw, Thanks for any other help, suggestions, etc.?

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
95-ZJ is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 11:35 AM
Mr. Puddles
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 863
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-ZJ View Post
Mr. Puddles,

Do you have this same kit or the larger version with more accessory cups and etc.

Could you explain how you used the c clamp and which size cup worked for you when removing your D30 upper bushings? It looks self explanatory mostly but thought Id ask, as, every bit of knowledge helps, with less fumbling around looking for the right cup or plate Or having to order something I dont have on hand now? Thx

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
I dont know if mine is that exact brand. Removing the steel cup bushings is a real pain. I used a large flat washer on the inner side of the bushing and a cup large enough to sit on the steel lip. Push out the rubber. Then use a hammer, chisel, and large punch to get the bushing cup out.

I wish there were an easier method for removing them but I have not found one.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
Mr. Puddles is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 11:37 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 8,507
I have a similar cheap offshore press and it works for balljoints. I'm going to try it on the D30 bushing when that goes. The trick to not breaking the press is to first make sure you are using it correctly. Then when you start tightening, only go far enough to feel the resistance getting tough. Then whack the knuckle around the balljoint with a big hammer. That releases the tension and then you can go more turns. Repeat as necessary.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 11:42 AM
BeardyHat
Registered User
 
BeardyHat's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 522
I've used mine and the cups for all sorts of things. Ball joints, control arm bushings, wheel bearings both in axle (just using the cups only) and when bearings off the vehicle that needed pressing in.

It's come in handy for lots of projects where I need to press something in or push a thing out. I don't know what brand mine is, as it's actually my friend's. He loaned it to me years ago and hasn't ever needed it back yet, but when he does, I'm sure as hell buying my own.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
BeardyHat is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 01:29 PM
yjsaabman
Registered User
1930 CJ2 
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I have a similar cheap offshore press and it works for balljoints. I'm going to try it on the D30 bushing when that goes. The trick to not breaking the press is to first make sure you are using it correctly. Then when you start tightening, only go far enough to feel the resistance getting tough. Then whack the knuckle around the balljoint with a big hammer. That releases the tension and then you can go more turns. Repeat as necessary.
This is the beat advice. I've seen guys use impacts on these and I never will. Using a large ratchet by hand gives you a level of feel that tells you if things are going well, or not. Same goes for a shop press, I never use the air over hydraulic function on the one at work, there's no feel of things going wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
95-ZJ likes this.
yjsaabman is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 03:11 PM
riiz
Registered User
 
riiz's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Redlands
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post
I dont know if mine is that exact brand. Removing the steel cup bushings is a real pain. I used a large flat washer on the inner side of the bushing and a cup large enough to sit on the steel lip. Push out the rubber. Then use a hammer, chisel, and large punch to get the bushing cup out.

I wish there were an easier method for removing them but I have not found one.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
IRO's tool for installing their Flex-joints pull out the OEM rubber joints easily. Its purposely removes the rubber inner, then has a thick spacer that will grab the steel outer bushing and push it through. But I cant comment on reinstallation, since I never put a OEM bushing back in. It is pricey at $40 and shipping though.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...ol-hk-106.html
HighLonesome and 95-ZJ like this.
riiz is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-15-2021, 05:13 PM
yjsaabman
Registered User
1930 CJ2 
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 145
Oressing them out is less worrisome than not damaging the new ones pressing them in. Or the bracket/arm. The one on top of the diff is ok because it's a cast piece. The other upright on the axle you need to use a spacer to not pinch the stamped steel in on itself. Same if replacing the bushings in the stock stamped steel arms, but who does that? Most people just replace or uograde the arms, at this point.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 05-16-2021, 10:31 AM
speedbrake
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 204
x2 on what Puddles said. I did my D30 front axle UCA bushings last fall with a similar kit (the one from Harbor Freight). It was done at the same time as my BB, so it was a bit easier to get on top of that axle and change those bushings with other parts out of the way (coil springs, shocks, track bar,etc). The UCA bushing advice above is all outstanding. Boiled down to a short list:
1. Penetrating oil spray on the UCA bushing cups a few days prior.
2. Flat washer or metal shims to keep the cup perpendicular to the direction you're driving the bushing
3. Manually turn that press (breaker bar is ok), you'll feel it if it ain't lined up right.
4. Sharp sledge rap or three on the cast iron knuckle when the turning gets tough
5. Sometimes you have to push the rubber out with the press, then hammer/chisel/punch the edges of the metal cup. Sort of cave the cup in on itself, destroying it in the process, but who cares. Just don't mar up the interior of the knuckle.

Lastly, the D30 UCA bushings don't seat all the way up to the larger circumference flange on the bushing's metal cup, like ball joints do. That flange will be about 1/4" short of sitting flush to the knuckle. See pics.
Attached Thumbnails
8D9D3127-B835-456D-94EB-653EB44E8AA5.jpg   37A0F47D-2BBA-481A-B4BA-B9230FC0AF2B.jpg  
95-ZJ likes this.
speedbrake is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 05-16-2021, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
95-ZJ
Registered User
 
95-ZJ's Avatar
1930 CJ2 
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
Oressing them out is less worrisome than not damaging the new ones pressing them in. Or the bracket/arm. The one on top of the diff is ok because it's a cast piece. The other upright on the axle you need to use a spacer to not pinch the stamped steel in on itself. Same if replacing the bushings in the stock stamped steel arms, but who does that? Most people just replace or uograde the arms, at this point.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
So, I got in the 8 new control arms from RockA. I intended to keep it all stock but did decide to do a
Supreme S 3 inch delrin puck lift. Went with 3" lift shocks from Rancho. Went with the adjustable 9000xl series with boot. Now Im trying to write down all torque specs for all bolts and then I will need to decide on a plan of attack to get springs removed and upper and lower arms off and shocks removed then upper bushing need pressed out and new bushings re-installed. And its summer, and getting HOT

And the Moog front bushings for the UCArms. Waiting to receive the Orion C-Clamp Ball Joint R and R kit.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
95-ZJ is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 PM
spang
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 47
It's also good to get the Jeep-specific ball joint cup set, makes doing the upper ball joints so much easier. I'll see if I can find the part number.
95-ZJ likes this.
spang is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 05-19-2021, 01:24 AM
riiz
Registered User
 
riiz's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Redlands
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by spang View Post
It's also good to get the Jeep-specific ball joint cup set, makes doing the upper ball joints so much easier. I'll see if I can find the part number.
OTC 7894 - Pricey, but it works really well.

Here is the bootleg kit: https://www.amazon.com/Service-Adapt...1469667&sr=8-5
95-ZJ likes this.

Last edited by riiz; 05-19-2021 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fixed link
riiz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome