Axles and gearing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Marcushall

Axles and gearing

I have a lifted 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo on 31s, and it doesn’t seem to like 5th gear going down the highway, it’ll shift into fifth while I’m on the gas, but once I let off it drops down to 4th, or at least it feels like it, it has the stock Dana 30 in the front and I can’t find out based on the internet if it has the Dana 35c or the Dana 44, should I change the gearing or what could the problem be..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Some_Anchovies

1995 ZJ 

The 95 ZJ only came with a 4 speed transmission, 4th being an overdrive gear. The "5th" gear you're feeling is just the torque converter locking up somewhere between 50-55mph, although on 31's this might be higher due to taller tires lowering the engine speed and their extra weight.

In traditional automatic transmissions, the engine spins faster than the transmission due to the torque converter. The engine spins transmission fluid, and this fluid spins the transmission to move the vehicle. There is no mechanical connection between the two, so when you're sitting at a stoplight, the engine can spin while the transmission and wheels are not.

Once you're on the highway at cruising speed and in 4th(overdrive) the torque converter can be locked to physically connect the engine and transmission together, so they spin the same speed.

The torque converter will unlock when you let off the gas, and relock once you're at a steady cruising speed. It won't lock if you're decelerating or accelerating, just when you're cruising at a relatively steady speed and load.

Sounds normal to me but bigger tires mean it might not stay locked as often due to the extra load. You can regear the axles to help. You should have a Dana 30 and 35c. Stock gears are 3.55 and 3.73 w/tow package.

95' ZJ 4.0L, 5-Speed Manual, NP231, 5.9 seats, Upcountry Lift, 275k
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Marcushall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Anchovies View Post
The 95 ZJ only came with a 4 speed transmission, 4th being an overdrive gear. The "5th" gear you're feeling is just the torque converter locking up somewhere between 50-55mph, although on 31's this might be higher due to taller tires lowering the engine speed and their extra weight.

In traditional automatic transmissions, the engine spins faster than the transmission due to the torque converter. The engine spins transmission fluid, and this fluid spins the transmission to move the vehicle. There is no mechanical connection between the two, so when you're sitting at a stoplight, the engine can spin while the transmission and wheels are not.

Once you're on the highway at cruising speed and in 4th(overdrive) the torque converter can be locked to physically connect the engine and transmission together, so they spin the same speed.

The torque converter will unlock when you let off the gas, and relock once you're at a steady cruising speed. It won't lock if you're decelerating or accelerating, just when you're cruising at a relatively steady speed and load.

Sounds normal to me but bigger tires mean it might not stay locked as often due to the extra load. You can regear the axles to help. You should have a Dana 30 and 35c. Stock gears are 3.55 and 3.73 w/tow package.

^^^^^ also was wondering someone said u needed to change change my speedometer gear, would that help any before I regear the axles

post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcushall View Post
^^^^^ also was wondering someone said u needed to change change my speedometer gear, would that help any before I regear the axles

Not gonna help at all, speedometer gear is only for the speedometer to show correct speed with taller tires. With the 31s, it's more than likely that your speedometer is actually very accurate right now. You can verify with a GPS- based speedometer - install an app to your mobile phone and check.

31s are ok with the stock gears - not perfect but not horrible either. You will see some gear hunting between 3rd and OD on steeper hills - use OD off- button if that happens - and the torque converter lock-up will kick on and off more often like you are currently experiencing.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Is it a 5.2 or a 4.0?

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 PM
PartyTime

To ID the rear axle just look at the general shape and bolt pattern and compare to the chart here 🙂 my 95 zj 4.0 has 3.55 gears and I’m on 33s... yeah and it feels sluggish (compared to stock) and with the current wheel size at certain speeds it is in between gears
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM
CatSplat

1994 ZJ 

Garage
He has a 1995, unless a previous owner swapping something else in he has a D35 regardless of engine.

1994 5.9L ZJ | IRO 5.5" CPLA | NP242 | 33" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
The Jeep of Theseus
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Is the OP in the USA? Some export 1993-1995 ZJs had an iron Dana 44 in the rear. I think they were all destined for Central or South America. Way back when, Kevin from Kevin's Offroad got hold of some leftover ones so there's still a few floating around here in the USA more than likely. Otherwise all the US models did indeed have the D35 in the rear from 1993-1995.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in