Axle Upgrade vs. Full Swap? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old Today, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Axle Upgrade vs. Full Swap?

So here痴 the deal,

I知 absolutely a window shopper and like to plan things out, so while I can say eventually I値l get to this, I知 not where close to doing this anytime soon.

The goal of my ZJ is to do some mild/difficult type of off roading but will need to reliably pull a decent sized camper across the states.

All that being said the upgrades on my dream list include a re-gearing, WJ break upgrade, and eventual locker.

So the question I知 posing is... am I better off doing all these upgrades to my perfectly fine D44.

If I keep my current D44 I知 going to need to purchase the following to upgrade. (Junkyard pickups)
-WJ knuckles $24x4
-WJ calipers $20x4
-everything else needed for the WJ brake system.
-16 in wheels $50-60x4
-locker

Estimating 800-1k

Or (and I have no idea what I知 talking about from here on out)

Would it be more economical to snag a full D44 Axle from yard that already has the full brake setup already for $240 and possibly get lucky enough to find one with a LSD?

And if we池e considering swapping full axles for $240 would I be better off getting the Ford8.8?

Edit: I also already have JK 17in rims so I would save myself the cost of wheels as well since the WJ bolt pattern is the 5x5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in