• 1 Post By ChicagoYJ
  • 1 Post By wn2091kc
  • 1 Post By Timo_90xj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-17-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Auto dimming mirror

Anyone know where to get the drivers side auto dimming mirror? Not worried about price, just looking for one.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 PM
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Thanks but unfortunately that is a electric mirror but does not have the auto dimming feature. The hunt continues...

Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...

post #4 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's the correct mirror. The mirror is Electrochromic which auto dim when high beams are flashed on them. It lists at just over 395.00 for just the mirror. Called my local Jeep dealer today to confirm part number. He said it's correct and also discontinued.

Here's another link selling it at 395.95. It's the same price my local Jeep dealer here in Chicago gave me. The non dimming mirror is significantly cheaper. You can find that one for under 100.00.
I called the first link to confirm if they have it in stock girl said they have 2 and ships out of their Wisconsin warehouse.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../04856537.html
jeeepguy likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 PM
wn2091kc
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Anyone know where to get the drivers side auto dimming mirror? Not worried about price, just looking for one.

They are lots of them in ZJ's in salvage yards - at least here in the Pac NW. I looked over about 4 of them before I scored a nice one a few months back when I added the overhead console to my ZJ. Cost me $6.

Ok, sorry this is for the center mirror, not the side mirror. Doh!
ChicagoYJ likes this.

94 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Magnum

Last edited by wn2091kc; 02-20-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: corrected response
post #6 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 09:19 PM
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hard to find here in Chicago in the junk yards. Every 96 limited that pops up has the mirror already snatched off of it or the electrochromic part of the mirror damaged. Been searching for a few years now for one not damaged. Can't justify paying 300.00 to 400.00 for a new one.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 10:32 PM
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

Does the auto dim mirror require some circuitry in the vehicle or does it have all of the magic in the mirror?

If I see one at Pick and Pull how would I recognize it?

AlamoJeeper
- 1995 4.0L NP249 - mostly stock
- Link to rehabbing my 1995 ZJ.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-21-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoYJ View Post
It's the correct mirror. The mirror is Electrochromic which auto dim when high beams are flashed on them. It lists at just over 395.00 for just the mirror. Called my local Jeep dealer today to confirm part number. He said it's correct and also discontinued.

Here's another link selling it at 395.95. It's the same price my local Jeep dealer here in Chicago gave me. The non dimming mirror is significantly cheaper. You can find that one for under 100.00.
I called the first link to confirm if they have it in stock girl said they have 2 and ships out of their Wisconsin warehouse.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../04856537.html
Thank you... I'll order this weekend.

Doug Patton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about it...
post #9 of 12 Old 02-21-2020, 07:36 PM
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoJeeper View Post
Does the auto dim mirror require some circuitry in the vehicle or does it have all of the magic in the mirror?

If I see one at Pick and Pull how would I recognize it?

It has wire connections for the heating element and the dimmer. Only came on the 96 ZJ Limited. It has a black encasement that sandwiches a liquid between the dimmer glass to the mirror glass. You can see the difference from the passenger side since it only came on the driver side. Passenger side does not have the encasement around the mirror.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 03:21 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoYJ View Post
It has wire connections for the heating element and the dimmer. Only came on the 96 ZJ Limited.
What do you mean by only came on the 96 ZJ? Auto-dimming mirrors are found on '97-'98 models as well, not sure about the '93-'95.
ChicagoYJ likes this.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 07:21 AM
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
What do you mean by only came on the 96 ZJ? Auto-dimming mirrors are found on '97-'98 models as well, not sure about the '93-'95.

I was told a few months after getting my ZJ (96 LTD 5.2) that the driver side auto dim mirror was only available to that model year and trim level. Since mine has the liquid leaked out of it. Looked into getting from the junk yard because of price for a new one and it also being discontinued. Was told I would only find it on the 96 Limited 5.2.

After doing a little homework this morning looks like I might have been ill informed.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 08:37 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Yeap, that's misinformation because my 5.9 definitely has all auto dimming mirrors - drivers' side being broken from a hit to a tree couple years ago

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in