Any reasons why a ignition coil would go bad in under a year? - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Any reasons why a ignition coil would go bad in under a year?

Hey all, I have a 1994 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2l and about a year ago I replaced the coil just because I tuned up the Jeep all the way around. Yesterday I was driving and the car died and wouldnít start. I towed it home to work on it. I saw there wasnít any spark and replaced the coil and it works fine. I was wondering what couldíve caused it to fail so fast. I wanted to make sure Iím not missing anything that may cause the new one to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:19 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Brand, manufacturing error, bad luck...

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #3 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Brand, manufacturing error, bad luck...

Yeah I get that. Was just wondering if anything leading to the coil couldíve lead to itís demise.

post #4 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:25 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Coils typically fail due to either vibration or age... other external factors usually don't affect them.
sirstvjesse likes this.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #5 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Coils typically fail due to either vibration or age... other external factors usually don't affect them.

Thanks!

post #6 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:52 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Installing cheap quality parts or making the coil work too hard is a major source of failure:

• wrong spark plug gap
  • wrong spark plugs
  • damaged or worn out spark plugs
  • bad plug wires
  • moisture intrusion
  • excessive vibration

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Installing cheap quality parts or making the coil work too hard is a major source of failure:
  • wrong spark plug gap
  • wrong spark plugs
  • damaged or worn out spark plugs
  • bad plug wires
  • moisture intrusion
  • excessive vibration

I did change to high quality spark plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap, along with the coil.

post #8 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What brand/type/part number spark plugs ?

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

YMMV.
cruiser54 likes this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What brand/type/part number spark plugs ?

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

This sounds probably the most likely. The replacement I put in I got at Napa so hopefully it lasts.

post #10 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 07:24 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

I'm guessing it wasn't a Mopar coil... Or MSD lol
sirstvjesse likes this.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
I'm guessing it wasn't a Mopar coil... Or MSD lol

Said OEM but that doesnít seem as reliable these days. I wonder who makes (and where) their parts Lol

post #12 of 30 Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

I had a Napa coil last 8 miles. Yep, 8 miles. I don't go to Napa for any reason. Rarely have I had good parts or service from them.

MSD coil lasted about 6 months, and the Accel coil lasted about a year. I've had the cheap "lifetime warranty" coil on now for about 10 years.
sirstvjesse likes this.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #13 of 30 Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 3 Cherokees, a 98, a 99 and an 00. Each has the original coil. Should any one of them need another coil, I will buy a new genuine Jeep part, or go to the junkyard for a good used genuine Jeep part.

Even with a "Lifetime Warranty" I don't want to spend the rest of my lifetime either worrying about getting stranded, or replacing the same darn part every few years. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

YMMV.
cruiser54 and sirstvjesse like this.

post #14 of 30 Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
I had a Napa coil last 8 miles. Yep, 8 miles. I don't go to Napa for any reason. Rarely have I had good parts or service from them.

MSD coil lasted about 6 months, and the Accel coil lasted about a year. I've had the cheap "lifetime warranty" coil on now for about 10 years.

Great...good to no. I found me a mopar one and as soon as it comes Iíll change it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 30 Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
sirstvjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstvjesse View Post
Great...good to no. I found me a mopar one and as soon as it comes Iíll change it

*know...early sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in