Any ideas on tracking down a part (Key FOB)? - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
klaxmaster

1993 ZJ 

Any ideas on tracking down a part (Key FOB)?

I found out somewhat recently that the 93 ZJ actually had a Key-less entry remote FOB. I bought my Jeep early last year, and i only received one key, and never thought much about it. I never even considered that it could have a FOB since its a 1993.

So I have been trying to track down and purchase a FOB, but all i can seem to find is the empty case for the 93-96 ZJ (no transmitter inside). Does anyone have any suggestions or previous experience in purchasing this model FOB. Or know if any other FOB (from other years) is compatible?

I really want one, because unlocking the driver door with the key no longer disables the alarm. So i have to use the lift gate to disable the alarm, then unlock the driver (kind of annoying.) If the lift gate fails, i wont have a way to disable it, except for permanently by shorting out that Violet/Yellow wire in the door bundle to ground. I don't really want to do that, since i don't live in the best neighborhood, and it is more than an alarm, but is actually a fuel pump kill switch, and i like the idea of having just a little bit of deterrent on my baby.

Let me know! I'm going to go to a Jeep dealership today and see if they can still get them...

If it ain't broke, fix it with a larger part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You can usually find them on ebay, or sometimes junkyards. For a 93 it’s the IR type that can be programmed at home, so at least you’re good there.

The range isn’t fantastic on the IR system, some people have swapped for a differen chrysler RF system.
klaxmaster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
klaxmaster

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
You can usually find them on ebay, or sometimes junkyards. For a 93 itís the IR type that can be programmed at home, so at least youíre good there.

The range isnít fantastic on the IR system, some people have swapped for a differen chrysler RF system.
I've definitely looked on ebay, no luck currently. thanks though.

I dont think i've ever seen a set of keys at a junkyard, but anything is possible i guess!

If it ain't broke, fix it with a larger part.

post #4 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 PM
1shotleft

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaxmaster View Post
I've definitely looked on ebay, no luck currently. thanks though.

I dont think i've ever seen a set of keys at a junkyard, but anything is possible i guess!
You won't find keys but they do collect key fobs, as far as the driver side door there should be a sensor attached to the back side of the lock in the door.

Sent from low orbit using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 04:39 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum.

This topic shows the programming for the 56009031 IR remote key fob.

The OEM part runs about $200, when it can be found.

The link has one of the aftermarket fobs, that I understand also work fine.

This topic shows the IR key fob repair to swap the internal switches.
klaxmaster likes this.

post #6 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
It will be a 2 button fob, they pop up on eBay all the time. The 3 button is the IR style and only works for 96-98 models. As mentioned, you can program the IR remote yourself but the range is limited to ~5ft.

The switch on the door cylinder is called a 'Door Alarm Disarm Switch' and can be sourced from a number of places.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #7 of 26 Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 PM
Kolak
Vendor

I have a basically brand new fob from my old 1993. It was the spare one and I don't think it was ever used. The Jeep is long gone but I still have the fob

PM me or email me at [email protected] if you still need one.
wingless and klaxmaster like this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #8 of 26 Old 01-10-2019, 05:20 AM
DirectMatrix
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I bought this one to eventually convert to a radio frequency system. You get better range and the remotes are way cheaper and more plentiful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/93-94-95-Ch...item2c70afef64
klaxmaster likes this.

92 YJ, Delilah

Last edited by DirectMatrix; 01-10-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add'l info
post #9 of 26 Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 AM
jeepjeepster

I highly recommend converting to the RF system that was used in Chrysler vehicles of that era. Im not sure what vehicles used it but I know concordes and 300's did. At first I gathered up all of the IR remotes that I could find then decided they were 98% useless. Wired mine up so it unlocks the drivers door on the first press then all of them on the second. The range isn't great, maybe 10' max if you're holding the remote up. Works in your pocket if you near the jeep though, which is handy.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...ersion-676076/

If youre interested in fixing the alarm issue, mine was as simple as epoxying the little switch back onto the back of the key cylinder inside of the door. It typically snaps on but it wouldn't stay on anymore. Sometimes they do just go bad though.
klaxmaster likes this.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #10 of 26 Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaxmaster View Post
I found out somewhat recently that the 93 ZJ actually had a Key-less entry remote FOB.
...it is more than an alarm, but is actually a fuel pump kill switch, and i like the idea of having just a little bit of deterrent on my baby.
Are you sure about that? I definitely have driven my 93 around the driveway with the lights flashing and the horn honking.

I fixed my IR remotes but they really only worked when they were touching the glass and pointing toward the eye. All my door lock actuators failed so it the remote doesn't lock or unlock the doors either. It's basically a useless system.
post #11 of 26 Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
The switch on the door cylinder is called a 'Door Alarm Disarm Switch' and can be sourced from a number of places.
Do you have a link? I looked a while back and all I found were a couple NOS parts on ebay and they were around $80. The stock ones on my 93 front doors disintegrated and all the junkyard ones I've found were the same. It's just a simple switch though and I had plans to fabricate a bracket to hold a momentary contact switch in there somewhere but I just got used to not having the alarm.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Do you have a link? I looked a while back and all I found were a couple NOS parts on ebay and they were around $80. The stock ones on my 93 front doors disintegrated and all the junkyard ones I've found were the same. It's just a simple switch though and I had plans to fabricate a bracket to hold a momentary contact switch in there somewhere but I just got used to not having the alarm.
It appears they have all dried up. When I looked a number of weeks ago I was able to find them. Might be a dealer only part now.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #13 of 26 Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 PM
blkdrgn42
1994 ZJ 

Garage
Considering how cheap zj's are, I have often thought about buying one that has a key fob, programming it to my vehicle, and reselling the donor. If you are a shrewd negotiator, you might not be out that much money after it's all said and done. Bonus if the donor has other parts for your vehicle that are kind of worn on yours but still functional. Swap straight across. I mean an $800 Jeep with a fob and $200 worth of usable parts you need that gets resold for $700 is a win in my book.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM
wkbear

1995 ZJ 

There's a site called keylessride.com I had looked at in the past, but decided to just use my key. They had the correct fob and you could look at the page. Now it requires you to make an account for some reason. Still might be worth looking at.

1995 Grand Cherokee Ltd., 5.2, 249, stock (for now)
post #15 of 26 Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I scooped one up on EBay for my XJ (they use the same IR remotes as the ZJs of that era) for 40 dollars about 2 months ago. Programmed in a few minutes in my driveway. I saw them as recently as 2 weeks ago on Ebay going for 60 to 80 dollars. Works fine for me but you have to accept the IR system has limited range.

Here's 3 I foudn on Ebay just now. Not cheap looks like prices are driving up but for me having these little things working on the old Jeep is worth a little extra cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oem-Jeep-Ch...dXz:rk:28:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1993-19...!-1:rk:35:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyless-Rem...Vf:rk:171:pf:0

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in