Alternatives for replacing one or more bumpers 95 ZJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PolkaPower

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
muddflow
1995 ZJ 

Alternatives for replacing one or more bumpers 95 ZJ

I'm looking at alternatives bumpers for a 95 ZJ. Either aftermarket or DIY bumpers for the front and possibly the rear bumper.

Aftermarket bumpers for the ZJ start at around ~$500.00 where some start at around $1000.00 for either the front or rear.

What about DIY bumpers for the ZJ? It's not quite the same as DIY and aftermarket bumpers for the XJ and Wrangler due to how ZJ bumpers are more apart of the body and sub-frame.

What sort of alternatives have people come up for ZJ bumpers?

Currently my front 95 ZJ has a dent (some light damage) on the driver side sub-frame and I have been looking around for any low cost alternatives rather than replacing the plastic bumper shell of the front bumper.

All the front bumper of the 95 ZJ is is a p eice of plastic and fiber cushion that attaches to the sub-frame. So there really isn't much of a bumper. I've been thinking of temporarily replacing with a 2 x 10 piece of wood until I can find a better solution, however the only replacement solutions I've been able to find are aftermarket off-road bumpers with starting costs of approx. $500-$1000.00

I do have over ten years experience with metal fabrication, (welding, fitting, etc.) so I could probably with some sort of design, fabricate my own front and possibly a new rear bumper. i.e. if I can find some plans or possibly fabricate something from scratch? Possibly design some thing from tubular steel, plating, angle iron, etc. Smittybuilt does carry some less expensive bumpers made from 3 inch metal tubes for the Wrangler that possibly could be adapted for a ZJ?

I've come across some dyi ZJ bumper designs pics online, however I'm not really looking to install a winch. I guess I would need to figure out some sort of design with some structural integrity, that can be integrated with the sub-frame.

I did come across this front bumper design for a ZJ. I'm uncertain of the material cost?

https://flatland4x4.com/product/93-9...-winch-bumper/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

I made this one.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
GOLDWING likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 03:28 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Please please someone make an aluminum front bumper for the ZJ. My 5.9 wants one. I would be your customer and your vendor

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
muddflow
1995 ZJ 

Aluminum different than steel to work with. Steel has more strength.

Aluminum requires a different design when adding a winch, receiver, tow points, connection to the sub-frame, different type of weld, etc.

An important factor is starting with a good connection to the sub-frame working your way out to create a bumper.

I can see the basic bumper design in my head where I would first need to measure the subframe, creating bolt fastening points.

I've worked in metal fabrication from engineered created blueprints. It would be better to start with some sort of blueprints for accuracy in order to cut and weld the bumper together so it will fit into and become part of the ZJ's sub frame.

However after creating two pieces of metal with holes for the sub frame could keep adding pieces of metal to create an entire bumper from scratch.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 05:28 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddflow View Post

Aluminum requires a different design when adding a winch, receiver, tow points, connection to the sub-frame, different type of weld, etc.

An important factor is starting with a good connection to the sub-frame working your way out to create a bumper.

I can see the basic bumper design in my head where I would first need to measure the subframe, creating bolt fastening points.

I've worked in metal fabrication from engineered created blueprints. It would be better to start with some sort of blueprints for accuracy in order to cut and weld the bumper together so it will fit into and become part of the ZJ's sub frame.
I did that and I am happy with the outcome. I will check the archives and get you a link.
Nice part is that once you get the structure done you can go any way you like.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
muddflow
1995 ZJ 

Yes I can see how once you have the basic bumper design with connections to the sub-frame one can create modifications with additional features.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 07:13 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

This setup was built to be functional and to provide a hard point to lift, pull, push and drag on, I have added a receiver for a winch that can be used fore and aft.

The connection to the chassis involves two 3" x 24" x 1/4" pieces of steel bar stock that go into the uniframe 16". The 2"x3" rectangular tube is full length welded to the bar stock for 8" exiting the uniframe.

The 3" bar stock is attached to the uniframe using two factory holes and one that I drilled using (3) 1/2" grade 8 bolts and nuts captive welded to the inside of the bar stock.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
muddflow
1995 ZJ 

I probably first need to price out materials. There are metal scrap yards in the area that will sell materials from a metal scrap pile. Probably will be looking for 3/16 or 1/4 inch sheets of metal.

I have two welders, a Hobart 130 amp MIG welder that can weld up to 3/16 inch (possibly 1/4 in. using multi-pass) and an older Sears Infinite 230/140 AC/DC stick Arc welder.

DC produces a better weld than AC. I also have an industrial grade torch to cut metal sheets.

I've worked mostly with heavier metals from 3/8 to 3 inch. Ligher metals it may take some time to get the settings just right.

Mig welders amps are produced via speed as there's only a voltage setting on my Hobart.

I did find a precut 93-98 ZJ Non-Winch bumper Kit If ever needing a winch I would probably go with a portable winch, connecting it to a front or rear hitch receiver.

https://diyoffroadproducts.com/produ...non-winch-kit/

post #9 of 10 Old 11-11-2019, 04:42 PM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

I built this rear bumper with a swing out spare tire carrier. Just used 2" square tubing. It's attached at the same points as the receiver hitch. I welded nuts to the top of the pieces I pushed into the subframe and the pushed the bolts through the hitch, frame and bumper. Torqued it down really tight and it has held up well.

Looks like poo ...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160629_130000.jpg  

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #10 of 10 Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

*Stubs toe on steel pile*

The ZJ is really quite nice for mounting in its way. Really the best thing to do is shove tube down the frame, 2" wide and as tall as you deem necessary.

From there you can build out whatever you want, even bolt on an aluminum skin, I'd certainly use steel for any recover point though.

Variations on that theme in my green pig build.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in