Aftermarket radiator issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
kalpol
1996 ZJ 

Aftermarket radiator issues

Hi all,

I'm on my second aftermarket radiator in a year or two and am wondering if there are any issues. The first radiator had a cracked plastic tank, I replaced it with one I think from O'Reilly, which lasted barely a year before a leak occurred in the upper passenger corner, looks like where the tank attaches. I had lost the receipt and just replaced it angrily with one from Advance, and that is now leaking after barely a year, from the same place. Before I replace it again, are there known issues with cheap aftermarket radiators? I'm also not discounting the fact that I might be getting some cooling system pressurization but there aren't any other symptoms of head gasket leakage.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 08:54 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The plastic tanks not sealing to the core is a common issue, but not confined to the cheap ones. I would hope that you replaced the radiator cap at some point in doing the radiator that many times. If the cap is relieving pressure correctly then pressure shouldn’t be an issue.

A lot of people like the radiator express all aluminum radiators because they can’t have the same issues with the tank and core seam leaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
kalpol
1996 ZJ 

Thanks, I will check out the Radiator Express units. They look reasonably priced, and I am fed up with plastic radiators!!!

post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Rad express all aluminum all the way. Didn't have any luck with O'Rileys or a Napa radiator.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 04:50 PM
tnewbpk

Thumbs up on radiator express. Put one in last week to replace my stock rad 96 5.2 zj. The quality is very nice and no fitment issues.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Luke4010
1997 ZJ 

I went through two radiator express aluminum radiators before I got a Mopar one for cheap since I get a discount at the dealer. The first one started leaking after 6 months at the seam where the fins go into the tank. Customer service with RE is terrible. After I sent them pictures of the radiator they asked for they ended the emails with "someone will contact you" and never got back to me. Lifetime warranty my ***. The second one had the same issue after only one year. Although the all aluminum is nice with no plastic, the units are made in China and sold by many companies including RE. Just my experience.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I put in a Mopar in 2010 and its still fine. It had an aluminum core vs the original with a copper core but worked and fit just the same. The rest of the system is all stock (Mopar) except for the fan clutch which is a Four Seasons HD unit. A bit noisier, but cools better, and it runs a tick under 210.
Attached Thumbnails
new rad.jpg   ZJ new thermostat.jpg  

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #8 of 11 Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It may just be a coincidence or same manufacturer that your last 2 rads leaked in the exact same place (upper passenger side corner). But are your 2 lower rubber grommets (OE, J0687550) which fit on the 2 bottom rad pins still good? Also 2 upper rubber isolators (OE, 52006642) with 2 holes for lower bolts and small stud sticking out of the top going through upper rad support still good?

Reason asked if they aren't good your rads may be shocked in the same place if hitting metal-to-metal causing the rads to leak in the same place.

Know those bottom OE grommets are way too pricey ($20 each/Amazon) and some go with aftermarket or improvise.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2018, 03:48 PM
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

FWIW, I have used Advance cheap (Chinese or Taiwan) rads in both my 4.0 ZJs, >3 years no problems. Very careful about mounting all sides properly.

Proud owner of two DD 4.0 ZJs
Flame Red 94 mint!
Silver 98 just hit 320k miles....runs great!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

I put a RE stock-type rad (which turned out to be Silla brand) in my ZJ and it was still fine four years later when I sold the Jeep.

I went through a Mopar rad every 2 years in my KJ.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-08-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
kalpol
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
It may just be a coincidence or same manufacturer that your last 2 rads leaked in the exact same place (upper passenger side corner). But are your 2 lower rubber grommets (OE, J0687550) which fit on the 2 bottom rad pins still good? Also 2 upper rubber isolators (OE, 52006642) with 2 holes for lower bolts and small stud sticking out of the top going through upper rad support still good?

Reason asked if they aren't good your rads may be shocked in the same place if hitting metal-to-metal causing the rads to leak in the same place.

Know those bottom OE grommets are way too pricey ($20 each/Amazon) and some go with aftermarket or improvise.
The rubber mounts are a good point. I'll check those.

Tags
cooling , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in