Aftermarket Keyless Entry Install (sort of) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tourist

Aftermarket Keyless Entry Install (sort of)

Alright people, this is my first thread I did do some searching but couldn't find anything that really helped to clarify what was going on with my jeep.

So, I just purchased a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (or rather I gave my Dad the money to buy it in VA, I go to Grad School in Indiana).

Anyway, the original drivers side door was replaced by the previous owner. They replaced it with a door from a 93-95 ZJ. From what I can tell (because the 5-wire relay the door would have required is missing) the old 93-95 power locking mechanism is in my 96 ZJ.

From what I understand these use a different locking mechanism than the 96-98 which uses a reverse polarity locks.

If i wanted to reconnect the keyless entry wires to the new door, how do I do that? Can I still have all of the doors unlock? Can I use the existing system (a Code Alarm), everything else acts as if its still wired up. Will I need a DEI 455t or something similar?

I'm sorry to ask all of these questions but I'm kind of bogged down. I pick up the car in March over spring break and was hoping I could take a day to fix the locks before the school started back up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Lakoswolf

1993 ZJ 

Everything I've read has stated that the connectors are totally different on the 93-95 and 96-98 doors. I would imagine that the harness has been re-wired to accommodate the older door. I previously thought that such a replacement would have been impossible until I read your post. how hard would it be to find the proper door at a Junk Yard? I would imagine your interior panel doesn't match the rest of your Jeep either...

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it." -Chinese Proverb
----------------------
93' Grand Cherokee 5.2 Ltd. - Mine
93' Grand Wagoneer 5.2- Dad's
93' Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd. (Deceased)
post #3 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Tourist

Nope, the interior panel was swapped out, so it matches the rest of the jeep. I'm honestly not sure. Perhaps the lock motors were swapped out as well. Is there a way to figure out if that is what happened?

post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Tourist

BUMP

Any ideas what I might need to do? I've heard rumors that I can wire directly into the circuit board for the door locks, bypassing all the wiring for the reverse polarity locks...does anyone know if this is true?

Tags
aftermarket , keyless entry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in