ABS delete on a 1993 ZJ Base Model? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Taz360ZJ
1994 ZJ 

ABS delete on a 1993 ZJ Base Model?

Anyone here removed the ABS unit from a gen 1 ZJ before? It is way easier to do on my two 5.9's vs the gen 1 style ABS where the res is part of the ABS pump with the two lines returning back in.

I got my 1993 SE Base Model junk yard rescue project running yesterday with a new radiator, new low and high pressure PS hoses with NEW bolts for the tensioner on the back of the bracket, new gates idlers.....(I want to strangle the jack *** that stripped out the UPPER threaded boss, making me drill through it and using a nut on the back side like the lower version), checked all fluids, etc. Adjusted the steering back to stock today, took it for a very short ride to the gas station and noticed that the brake pedal was getting lower and lower. I put gas in the ZJ (has been 10 years since this thing had been driven to a gas station), drove home and almost had to use the parking brake to stop!!

Popped the res caps off, the rear brake res was empty, OK...get in the big black 5.9 and go get fluid. came home, filled it up, cracked the rear bleeders open, got some fluid out, not much, pumped up the pedal...no fluid out of the back . ok so I popped the rear line off.....still no fluid out of a few pedal pumps. popped the line off of the prop valve....GOT FLUID FINALLY! traced the rear brake line off of the abs pump, unthreaded the line.....no fluid out of the pump. Yes I am getting fluid out of the fronts.

So.....the ABS unit is bad (light was on anyway, so I clipped and removed all ABS wiring to the sensors, removed the ABS dash bulb, removed the ABS relay). Like i said...I've done the ABS removal on my two 5.9's, wasn't too bad of a job. Can I just replace the master cyl with a newer Jeep master from another '98 and use the 1993 brake booster? Or do I have to use the 1998 master/1998 booster?

'94 ZJ, AX15, UC+BB, Ravine's, 31's, 3.8L fan, D2S's, fully murdered out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 04:03 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I have an abs module that came from a 93 just sitting around lol
post #3 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Taz360ZJ
1994 ZJ 

I'm ditching it. I hate ABS on ZJ's, my '93's crapped out in 2000, never liked how it acted when it did work.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 PM
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Was thinking of doing the same thing on my 94. Turning it into a trail rig so don't needit, only thing is there are 2 lines out of the master cylinder and four coming out of the abs pump going to each wheel
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Taz360ZJ
1994 ZJ 

actually there's 3 coming OUT of the ABS pump: LF, RF, rear channel. my 98 5.9's were the same thing.

edit.... gearhead313's thread over on MC on the gen 1 ZJ ABS delete:

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...-System-Delete

I don't like how he plugged the rubber lines coming out of the master though. I still want to do a newer master since this one is 20+ years old and sat for 10 years.....doesn't matter if it only has 103,000 miles on it...the seals are 22 years old.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Hey Taz you're right only three outs, the one in line is right next to them and threw me off and first glance
post #7 of 15 Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Taz360ZJ
1994 ZJ 

Just for future reference, ANYONE reading this or finds this thread in a search: IF you want to delete the ABS from a 1993-1994 ZJ you will need the following:

*1995-1998 ZJ brake master cylinder
*1995-1998 ZJ brake vacuum booster
*9' or 108" 3/16" double flare line for the rear (plus a 3/16" double flare union to put it together)
*72" 3/16" double flare line for the RF
*20" 3/16" double flare line for the LF
*The shortest 3/16" double flare line they offer, I think mine was an 8" I bought, you will need this in conjunction with the tee for the front brake lines off the prop valve.
*3/16" x 3/16" x 3/16" double flare brake line tee

I bought the brake master brand new (not reman) for a 1998 5.9 ZJ, doesn't matter what trim or engine, it's all the same. I found out that the '95+ ZJ master is NOT compatible with the older 93/94 booster. I ended up yanking one from a 1995 ZJ in the junk yard and trimming the vacuum line it came with (was from a '95 V8, try to get a 4.0 hose).

Be SURE to re-use the line ends coming OFF the proportioning valve that go to the ABS. Always remember: the forward most port (forward meaning closest to the front of the truck) on the master cyl is for the REAR brakes. The port on the master closest to the brake booster is for the FRONT brakes. You can trace these lines to the prop valve and figure out which line is which. Buying new lines and running them is kind of a PITA, but doing it this way I only had to cut/flare TWO lines: the rear line for the prop valve, and the front short line for the front T on the prop valve.

For some reason the BRAKE light is on, I tried jumping the brake pedal travel sensor, didn't work so I yanked the BRAKE bulb for now.

This is my THIRD ABS delete, haven't had an issue with either 5.9, and the little 4.0L SE braked pretty well last night on its' maiden voyage.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-02-2014, 01:44 PM
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a 93 5.2 and the braking sucks on it and the "Brake" light comes on and goes off when I tap the brakes again. I wonder if the ABS is at fault here. So if I read right, I just need to gut the ABS unit, grab a JY master and booster for 95-98 and plumb it in? I have rear drum brakes so I am not concerned with any mod for rear disc brakes.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
I have a 93 5.2 and the braking sucks on it and the "Brake" light comes on and goes off when I tap the brakes again. I wonder if the ABS is at fault here
Almost certainly nothing to do with the ABS. If the red light is coming on during braking you're losing pressure in one of the primary brake circuits, which could be trapped air, or leaks in the lines, front calipers or rear cylinders, or from failed seals in the master cylinder. Try a full brake bleed (including the MC and combination valve). If that doesn't help, and if you're sure you're not leaking fluid, then I'd look squarely at the master cylinder.

Don't buy a reman MC, get a brand-one one (ask me how I know). I ended up with this one, which is working like a champ.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Taz360ZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
I have a 93 5.2 and the braking sucks on it and the "Brake" light comes on and goes off when I tap the brakes again. I wonder if the ABS is at fault here. So if I read right, I just need to gut the ABS unit, grab a JY master and booster for 95-98 and plumb it in? I have rear drum brakes so I am not concerned with any mod for rear disc brakes.
are the drum brake linings in good condition, drum surfaces in good shape and in spec, and are the brakes adjusted properly?

post #11 of 15 Old 12-03-2014, 12:00 PM
XJ93

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's my next step Taz. I just happened upon this between freezing my fingers off.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-12-2021, 03:54 PM
Sturmtruppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
Just for future reference, ANYONE reading this or finds this thread in a search: IF you want to delete the ABS from a 1993-1994 ZJ you will need the following:

*1995-1998 ZJ brake master cylinder
*1995-1998 ZJ brake vacuum booster
*9' or 108" 3/16" double flare line for the rear (plus a 3/16" double flare union to put it together)
*72" 3/16" double flare line for the RF
*20" 3/16" double flare line for the LF
*The shortest 3/16" double flare line they offer, I think mine was an 8" I bought, you will need this in conjunction with the tee for the front brake lines off the prop valve.
*3/16" x 3/16" x 3/16" double flare brake line tee

I bought the brake master brand new (not reman) for a 1998 5.9 ZJ, doesn't matter what trim or engine, it's all the same. I found out that the '95+ ZJ master is NOT compatible with the older 93/94 booster. I ended up yanking one from a 1995 ZJ in the junk yard and trimming the vacuum line it came with (was from a '95 V8, try to get a 4.0 hose).

Be SURE to re-use the line ends coming OFF the proportioning valve that go to the ABS. Always remember: the forward most port (forward meaning closest to the front of the truck) on the master cyl is for the REAR brakes. The port on the master closest to the brake booster is for the FRONT brakes. You can trace these lines to the prop valve and figure out which line is which. Buying new lines and running them is kind of a PITA, but doing it this way I only had to cut/flare TWO lines: the rear line for the prop valve, and the front short line for the front T on the prop valve.

For some reason the BRAKE light is on, I tried jumping the brake pedal travel sensor, didn't work so I yanked the BRAKE bulb for now.

This is my THIRD ABS delete, haven't had an issue with either 5.9, and the little 4.0L SE braked pretty well last night on its' maiden voyage.
Hey when you removed the abs did you remove the wheels sensors and the module computer for abs. will that affect shifting with the transmission?
post #13 of 15 Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Tomcorr
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmtruppen View Post
Hey when you removed the abs did you remove the wheels sensors and the module computer for abs. will that affect shifting with the transmission?
Might be awhile for a reply the last post before yours, was close to 7 years ago.
Talk about raising a thread from the dead.

95 Grand Cherokee Laredo
post #14 of 15 Old 05-13-2021, 08:38 PM
J.Golik

1997 ZJ 

Garage
I have a ‘97 Grand Cherokee and the “teeth on the gears” that the ABS sensor reads on each wheel just rusted away. All I have is an ABS light on my dash and no working ABS and I’m not complaining. I did nothing to get it that way and I’m not planning on fixing it.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-13-2021, 08:58 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Golik View Post
I have a ‘97 Grand Cherokee and the “teeth on the gears” that the ABS sensor reads on each wheel just rusted away. All I have is an ABS light on my dash and no working ABS and Im not complaining. I did nothing to get it that way and Im not planning on fixing it.

The dash bulb is pretty easy to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in