ABS Capable Scanner for ZJ - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-14-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

ABS Capable Scanner for ZJ

Hi Forum!

I went thru the procedure of re-soldering the positive terminal on my ABS computer, and lo and behold! it worked, however intermittently... the light comes up randomly now and shuts off by itself, I feel like I would like to scan it, but I'd like to ask if anyone at the forum purchased an ABS capable scanner and was actually able to read the ABS codes, I don't want to purchase one only to find out it doesn't work.

Just for those who are wondering, it's a 97 4.0 with a 42RE transmission.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

My Matco MD75 connects to my 5.2 but doesnít pull codes sometimes so I wouldnít recommend it. Itís also quite old though so a newer Matco scan tool would probably work. We also have an older Autel at work that works with the ABS well. Canít remember which model but the newer Autel is great and I have no doubt would be able to communicate but the price range is probably steep for a hobbyist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Maybe this

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-Scann.../dp/B07CSMJJK9

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFootZJ View Post
My Matco MD75 connects to my 5.2 but doesnít pull codes sometimes so I wouldnít recommend it. Itís also quite old though so a newer Matco scan tool would probably work. We also have an older Autel at work that works with the ABS well. Canít remember which model but the newer Autel is great and I have no doubt would be able to communicate but the price range is probably steep for a hobbyist.

Found this one, but I have yet to confirm it will work on my 97, price is right...

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Maxidia...motive&sr=1-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post
Nope, Chinese dude specifically said it doesn't work

Hello, dear,
Sorry, NT630 Elite is not compatible for 98 jeep grand cherokee.
Please feel free to contact us for any more questions.

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
post #5 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM
trojanbrutha
1999 WJ 

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have for my 98 and 99 4.0L ZJ and WJ, respectively. It reads my ABS codes. Make sure to update the software to get the best out of it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

Ours is the older Autel MaxiDas I believe the Ds708 and itís really slow compared to modern scanners but works on most vehicles up to around 2012 including my 96 5.2. The lower line Autel that is newer I would assume also can read ABS on a ZJ but honestly Iím not sure.

post #7 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanbrutha View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the one I have for my 98 and 99 4.0L ZJ and WJ, respectively. It reads my ABS codes. Make sure to update the software to get the best out of it.

Sir are you referring to the Autel I posted from Amazon? It would be great to have confirmation that it works from someone who owns it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFootZJ View Post
Ours is the older Autel MaxiDas I believe the Ds708 and it’s really slow compared to modern scanners but works on most vehicles up to around 2012 including my 96 5.2. The lower line Autel that is newer I would assume also can read ABS on a ZJ but honestly I’m not sure.

Looks like the Autel are the best out there when it comes to bang for your buck

Quote:
post #8 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 05:09 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone confirm that OBDII was implemented for ABS that year? Implementation of peripheral systems has been a gradual thing.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Fernando

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Amazon store that sells the Autel MD802 replied to my question saying it can't read ABS codes, looks like there are no confirmed affordable options out there...
LittleFootZJ likes this.

Quote:
post #10 of 16 Old 11-04-2019, 02:53 PM
nhcd538

1996 ZJ 

Some of the reviews on Amazon indicate that the MD802 will in fact read ABS codes. It would be nice to hear from someone who has a scanner that works. My ABS light is on as well.
LittleFootZJ likes this.

1996 ZJ 5.2
*Disclaimer - I've probably had a few beers
post #11 of 16 Old 11-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcd538 View Post
Some of the reviews on Amazon indicate that the MD802 will in fact read ABS codes. It would be nice to hear from someone who has a scanner that works. My ABS light is on as well.
I have an Autel MD808 Pro Scanner which is pretty similar. Not sure exactly what you are looking for. It won't bleed ABS but I think it reads ABS codes and some live data. Prior to the 3rd photo there is an option to read or clear codes, when I selected that, I got no codes. (It's not a given that it will show a code when there's problem.) It was necessary to get an adaptor for the OBDll connector that works with Chrysler, link below - it's $30 delivered from China, was the only option. When I get into the scanner it doesn't read the year but I select "Before 2003" (The live data also gives "G switch #2", not shown in photo) Hope that helps.
http://www.autelsale.com/wholesale/a...connector.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3486.jpg   IMG_3487.jpg   IMG_3488.jpg  
post #12 of 16 Old 11-05-2019, 02:34 PM
nhcd538

1996 ZJ 

That does help, thanks. I'm pretty sure my ABS light is on due to a wheel speed sensor. Just need to know which one. Sucks I need to spend $200 to scan a 20+ year old vehicle, but I suppose it will be good to have in the tool box.

1996 ZJ 5.2
post #13 of 16 Old 11-05-2019, 03:27 PM
trojanbrutha
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Sir are you referring to the Autel I posted from Amazon? It would be great to have confirmation that it works from someone who owns it

Looks like the Autel are the best out there when it comes to bang for your buck
Foxwell NT630 elite

post #14 of 16 Old 11-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

ABS Capable Scanner for ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcd538 View Post
That does help, thanks. I'm pretty sure my ABS light is on due to a wheel speed sensor. Just need to know which one. Sucks I need to spend $200 to scan a 20+ year old vehicle, but I suppose it will be good to have in the tool box.
You may want to do a little research on the Autel Maxicheck Pro which might have more functions that you want. They make so many models and keep changing them, I don’t get the point of that, but that one sounds good for the same price. I got my MD808 used on eBay for about $170. But no matter where you get it, just make sure you contact Autel right away with serial # and code to make sure it’s USA registered and not fake or made for non-USA.
Bi-directional functions on these are a crapshoot, don’t count on it. I used an MT2500 to bleed ABS on a niner.
If it’s your only car try asking around at some garages how much they would charge to scan it for you. For me, we also have an Audi and it reads tons of stuff on that, including trans fluid temp. Kinda cool.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-06-2019, 01:51 PM
nhcd538

1996 ZJ 

Interesting.

I don't need all kinds of functionality out of a scanner. The cheapest one I could find that can read and clear ABS codes would be fine with me. It really is a crapshoot on Amazon because it's all Chinese garbage and each ad is the same, regardless of what model you look at, and nobody can tell you for sure what one model will do differently than the next.

That's why I was looking for experiences from guys on here. The MD808 just shot up to $277 on Amazon! WTF!

1996 ZJ 5.2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in