The 99+ Intake Manifold HOW TO - Page 6 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 85 Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 AM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Well now I need to study the belt re-routing to see if this makes sense to do on my 95.

HID Projector retro! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 85 Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

I just visited my friends salvage yard and inquired about the status of an '01 WJ that he was tearing down. He told me that the long block was sold and that if I wanted anything attached to it I should help myself. I asked how much he needed to get for the 4.0 intake and injectors he said they were scrap as far as he was concerned. I am going out first thing tomorrow to get them before he changes his mind.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #78 of 85 Old 01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

I went to the salvage yard to get my new intake today. The engine was sitting in a warm shop on the floor with a cherry picker hooked up to it. I brought all of the right tools for once so disassembly was a breeze. When the dust settled I had the intake, throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, exhaust from the manifold to past the y-pipe, and the complete wiring harness for the engine electrical system. I will sort through and clean everything up over the coming weekend.

GW

"The Dude Abides"

post #79 of 85 Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

I need a friend with a JY.

HID Projector retro! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #80 of 85 Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Bodybuilder21
1998 ZJ 

lol and just a heads up..if you have aftermaret header's be prepared to have to grind down part on the new intake manifold bracketre ...have a welder handly but I BLEWWW through mine by accident and without a welder i'd be EFF'edd

Niner-Rebuilt 360+goodies; built re46
96'-4.0 5.5";4.56; locked- 4.6L/5spd in progress
post #81 of 85 Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybuilder21 View Post
lol and just a heads up..if you have aftermaret header's be prepared to have to grind down part on the new intake manifold bracketre ...have a welder handly but I BLEWWW through mine by accident and without a welder i'd be EFF'edd

The new intake manifold and exhaust are going to be used together so there shouldn't be a conflict. The '01 exhaust manifolds look like they were built to flow well. The two halves are 2" and join into 2 1/2" o.d.

I am planning to get 2 1/2 exhaust to run all of the way back.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #82 of 85 Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 PM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

I understand the 99+ intake needs to be ground on the bottom to fit over a new header.

Questions on fitment there:
1) Any pics of the grinding and "before & after" fit?
2) Surely you could patch any accidental hole with a little JB Weld??

Questions on the PS pump:
1) Understand we need to get a bracket from a '97-'98 ZJ. Anybody have a picture of this bracket? Is it JUST the bracket to go between the manifold and PS reservoir, or is there more than that?
2) We are also required to replace the idler pulley with the '97-'98 ZJ, right? Which pulley is it, specifically?
3) We then also need a belt from a '97-'98, not the '93-'96, right?

Questions on fuel:
1) Does the old fuel rail still bolt up to the new manifold, or do we need to grab the 99+ fuel rail as well?
2) I saw somewhere else that we could grab superior injectors from a '98-'99 Neon and they are straight replacements. Anyone do this, and have additional info to report here?

I think this is all my questions for now. lol

post #83 of 85 Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I used a my factory header so no help on the intake grinding.

The PS bracket on the newer 4.0s is simpler than the older one. It's basically a plate that bolts to the front of the pump and the water pump with a brace that runs down to a threaded hole in the block. If you are getting it from a junkyard it will be pretty obvious what you need. Some people have reused the older pump but most seem to buy the later pump to match. I bought one for a 97 and it worked fine. You will need the newer bolts for the pump since they are longer. Again, if you are junkyarding just make sure to grab the bolts. On the older engine both idlers are the same size. On the newer one the driver's side is the tensioner and is bigger. You can reuse the smaller; the tensioner has enough adjustment to make up for the difference. Or just grab a pulley, they're cheap. I ordered a belt for a 97 and it worked great. Make sure you don't have the early style timing cover with the boss on the driver's side or it will hit the belt and make a mess. If you have a 95 you should be fine; it's more a 93 thing. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...ds-up-3077377/

Old fuel rail works fine. You need to mess around with sensors and such to get everything in the right place. I did extra work to keep my wiring and hoses stock but there are lot's of ways to do it. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...ution-1867410/

I had Neon injectors and they worked fine. Check out: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...p-how-1305456/

I found all the info I needed on jeepforum just searching.
post #84 of 85 Old 10-30-2016, 10:03 PM
ErikHoeffner

I just finished a aftermarket header/99+ intake install, didn't grind anything, just spent hours trying to get it properly bolted, should have it running by tomorrow or Tuesday and I will post any power gains I feel with the header, intake and 703 injectors...everything else I have is stock still. It was just a cheapo ebay header from "Speed Daddy", This is on a 98 XJ. I have done the swap on my 91 with the intake only and I do believe the intake aids it in hill climbs, better consistent air flow for acceleration and better throttle response overall from a higher volume of air available for the engine to pull in, along with the flow obviously being less restricted thats my 2 cents on it, to say its "gives" you mores power is questionable, but the USE of the engines power because of the better air dynamics I think improved for sure....The debate is always on and JP seems to think its a worthless mod. I paid $27 for just the intake BTW.

Last edited by ErikHoeffner; 10-30-2016 at 10:16 PM.
post #85 of 85 Old 11-11-2016, 12:22 AM
ErikHoeffner

So yeah I know I am reviving a slightly old thread but I do want this information out there. Let me just point out this is on a 98 Cherokee (Not Grand) 4.0 with 150K Unfortunately I was delayed by a bad set of 703s. One was stuck I believe, I tried to start it for a bit and actually had gas leak down my header, so that upset me $125 for "tested and cleaned", I sent those back and got a set of Bosch #831s the clips will not fit these but they fit EV1 plugs and have 4 holes, rated at 30 lbs which is more than enough for the 4.0. These were around $60 used, tested and cleaned with signs of use but these had a "guarantee". Anyways I installed those and it all worked out this time, had some rough idle for a bit, not sure if it was an injector or the computer or a bit of both, but after a bit it cleared up...Occasionally I get a light stumble at idle; put some injector cleaner in and we'll see if that helps. This is only day one FYI. Regardless, the quick starts are obvious, I had to remember to let go of the key a few time because it turns over with one crank almost every time now. Shifts are a bit smoother and in relation the RPMs fluctuate quicker I am assuming because of the quicker fuel burn. I might just be lucky, or it may be because I am only on day one, but light city driving is yielding me 22.3 average MPGs in about 44 degrees @ aprox. 5400 elevation. The Horsepower part is questionable, I feel no true power gains, but the USE of power once again feels more aided and ready. The engine laughs at hills; I readily accelerated for grades and found myself backing off the throttle quicker approaching the top more so than I remember. Torque gains are what I feel here. Leaving a light has surprised me a few times, always jumpy with torque, but this thing is now immediate and makes me glad I have the 8.25 back there because it really wants to grunt up now. Granted I have yet to floor it, but the smooth torque supplied with good air makes it swiftly get up to speed. That is my strong first day opinion. Again, my only mods are: 99 Intake manifold, Homemade air intake, which is basically a PVC pipe attached to the stock hose with a cone filter on the end and a heat shield, "Speed Daddy" Ebay header, which at least has better flow over stock no doubt. Bosch type 3. 4 hole injectors ending in part #831. Other than that my head was resurfaced for a new head gasket, so I might have a slightly higher compression, but I doubt I can feel any gains from that. This is solely, manifold, header and four hole injectors, I even have a stock exhaust,....Hopefully someone catches up to this thread as I will continue to update...

Last edited by ErikHoeffner; 11-11-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Tags
4.0 , 99+ , intake manifold , swap , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in