98 ZJ Intermittent Misfire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
OP stated that he gained 20 psi by adding a cap full of oil to the cylinder which indicates rings losing compression not valves.

GW
He said he did that on Cylinder 4. He apparently didn't check compression on the other 5, which would likely all do the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
dotahoe
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiverT View Post
He said he did that on Cylinder 4. He apparently didn't check compression on the other 5, which would likely all do the same thing.
I checked compression on 3 and 5 too both where 130-135. Didn't really see the need to check further due to me already knowing which cylinder I have the misfire on.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-21-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
dotahoe
1998 ZJ 

I preformed a block test today and it passed. I'm going to verify proper timing again and if it is bad i'll adjust it/replace worn parts and if its ok i'm going to send the heads off for pressure testing. One of the techs in my shop told me what he is hearing is a premature ignition causing the misfire but that it is strange that it only does it consistently under load and at 2k rpm. Checked the wave form data of the O2 sensors and the Crankshaft and Cam sensor. Everything seems to be operating correctly signal wise.

post #19 of 20 Old 12-08-2018, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
dotahoe
1998 ZJ 

TPS was fried. Swapped it with one of my friends and the misfire went away. It was still sluggish after swapping the tps so i swapped my fuel pump relay with a/c clutch relay and it started running fine after that. Due to it being at my work and having a bad battery after all the testing i have to wait til the morning to give it a good road test and call it fixed but we will see.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
dotahoe
1998 ZJ 

When I road tested it today it was feeling very sluggish around 50 mph. I decided to drop the tank and lo and behold I found the issue. The lock ring had popped off of the fuel pump and the pump was just sitting there in the tank sideways. I took it out and dumped the fuel out of it and of course found a bit of water inside my gas tank. I ordered and new lock ring on amazon and an new Bosch fuel pump parts will be in Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
water-n-gas.jpg  
tvengineer likes this.

Tags
carbon build up , diagnose , intermittent , misfire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in