98 ZJ Humming Noise From Front. Please Help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-20-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
JaredD33
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ Humming Noise From Front. Please Help!

I've been battling a humming noise from the front end of my 98 5.2 ZJ for quite some time. I had an axle seal blow and the shop told me the humming noise I heard was probably due to low fluid in the differential. After a costly repair bill, I decided to do it myself. I finally got around to it, and I replaced both inner axle seals in the differential. So far, no leaks, and I thought the problem would be fixed. But the humming/whining noise is still there. The noise is not noticeable from 0-15 mph. But it's the worst from about 15-40, then smooths out into a dull whining noise from 40mph+. When it's between 15-40 it's a very loud, noticeable humming/whining from the front end and I can feel it everywhere (seat, steering, brake, gas, etc). My front end is very misaligned due to a recent ditch I ended up in, but it wasn't a problem until a few days after when my seal blew. So I'm unsure if that's the culprit or not. I don't think it's the bearing because I feel it throughout the whole front. Please help me figure this one out, cuz it's puzzling the hell out of me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 12:42 AM
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

a bad wheel bearing can vibrate the whole vehicle.. just saying. I had one in my wagoneer and the vehicle vibrated in the floorboards and would make wummm wumm wummm wumm noises
post #3 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 02:02 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

I would fix your front end lol. Remove the front drive shaft and see if the noise goes away. That will help narrow it down. You can't really tell **** with your messed up front end though.

You are trying to solve for one problem when you have a bunch of other problems. Doesn't make sense. Fix the stuff you know is wrong first.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
JaredD33
1998 ZJ 

So I went to the shop, got my alignment. On my way home, no change. Steering is jacked. Noise is the same. It's like driving on ice. The wheels go where they want. When it shifts, it sometimes jerks one way or another. AND on top of it all, my seal blew again. Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it? I'm thinking something is wrkng inside the differential. But I don't know if it'd be as simple as changing the gears and seal and it be fixed. I'm really at a loss here.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 03:10 PM
DaNgER13

1999 WJ 

Pinion bearing. Is it louder on Decel? When you let off the gas it howls. Or when going through an intersection with a high crown it changes pitch but is still there when the suspension travels.

Sounds like you have other things to worry about though. Don't bother pulling the front shaft, the only thing that does is fry your VC and makes the noise less noticeable.

I would fix that steering first. I've beendriving with a bad pinion bearing for almost a year now

A baby seal walks into a club...
post #6 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNgER13 View Post
Pinion bearing. Is it louder on Decel? When you let off the gas it howls. Or when going through an intersection with a high crown it changes pitch but is still there when the suspension travels.

Sounds like you have other things to worry about though. Don't bother pulling the front shaft, the only thing that does is fry your VC and makes the noise less noticeable.

I would fix that steering first. I've beendriving with a bad pinion bearing for almost a year now
It's a 98 so no it does not hurt the VC. Only 93-95 does that matter. Basic information.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
DaNgER13

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It's a 98 so no it does not hurt the VC. Only 93-95 does that matter. Basic information.
I caught myself after I posted.

You Win. You get a free cookie

post #8 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 03:30 PM
DaNgER13

1999 WJ 

Duplicate

Last edited by DaNgER13; 06-24-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Sh:tty Internet
post #9 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
JaredD33
1998 ZJ 

I'll try pulling the front shaft. I think it's dumb as hell how its 4 wheel all the time anyways. Do you think my steering issue is something totally unrelated? The front end alignment didn't help anything at all.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I agree with the idea of fixing the steering issue first. That stuff can kill you, and perhaps others. If it feels like you're driving on ice when you're not driving on ice, that's a problem. Conversely, in most worst case scenarios, the differential noise should only leave you stranded and in need of a tow. Good luck.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

^ agree with MrR and you have 2 separate problems while you best get your steering fixed first!

That must have been a "fly-by-night" or "speedy" alignment shop to do an alignment when you have some bent or broken steering related parts. Most good ones even help diagnose the problems while saying bring it back for an alignment after you get those problems fixed or give you an estimate on them doing the repairs.

It's probably best to have a helper turn the steering wheel back/forth while you're under the front looking for loose, sloppy, or broken parts. Who knows what's bad under there after running it into a ditch.

Your differential is a whole different ball-game while some real good info by Kg in that link for setting up a differential right.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #12 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 03:04 PM
1998 ZJ 

How hard did you hit the ditch? I wonder if you possiblye bent or tweaked the front diff.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
post #13 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
JaredD33
1998 ZJ 

I hit pretty hard. Probably going at least 25-30 MPH. My right front wheel took the hit. The steering was jacked after that. The differential problem happened a few days later.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 06:36 AM
LowBudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

Yeah you probably bent something, maybe even an axle tube.

FYI, it's not always in 4wd unless your viscous coupler is toast. When you lose traction 4wd kicks in with a properly functioning viscous coupler.

98 ZJ 4.0 42RE NP242
75 CJ5 232 T14 D20.....STOLEN
post #15 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's still beyond me how a "so called shop" could even align it with bent or broken parts?? Did you ask them to inspect if for damage and mention running into a ditch at 25-30mph?

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&

Tags
bearings , differential , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in