'98 Laredo - Help me spend $2k - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2021, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
voxombmx1

'98 Laredo - Help me spend $2k

My father bought this new and it is now in my possession as a replacement for my '98 Wrangler that was lost to frame rot.

I have $2,000 to spend and looking for some opinions. Rig will mainly see two tracks and seasonal forest roads in Michigan, will be driven on pavement to any trails. No need for maintenance or tire considerations, see description below.

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 230,000 miles
-Auto trans rebuild has 10k miles
-Front D30 serviced, new axle shafts/seals etc. 300mi
-Rear D35 serviced, new axle seals. 300mi
-NP242 TC serviced, new input shaft/seals. 300mi
-4.0 I6 New Headgasket and up refresh, new radiator and tstat housing and hoses. 2,500mi
-Starter, alternator and battery 2,500mi
-Front Calipers, rotors, pads and brake lines. 300mi
-Rear Pads and rotors. 300mi
-New muffler and tail pipe. 1,000mi

Currently has Sky Jacker shocks and BB and 235/75/R15 BFG KO2 tires, some suspension components have been replaced with OEM replacement parts as needed for normal wear over the years.

I would like to run a 31x10.50 BFG either KO2 AT's or KM3 MT's, I'm undecided currently but tires need not be considered in my $2k budget.

So, what would you recommend? Thanks for any and all replies.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0801.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-19-2021, 08:28 AM
JonMopar

Let me start off saying nice jeep. With some touch ups to the fender/hood, it would look new! I think the first thing you should do (or maybe the last after the build is done) is oil coat the heck out of the frame lol. Don’t want to loose another to rust

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-20-2021, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
voxombmx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMopar View Post
Let me start off saying nice jeep. With some touch ups to the fender/hood, it would look new! I think the first thing you should do (or maybe the last after the build is done) is oil coat the heck out of the frame lol. Donít want to loose another to rust
Thank you, my father took great pride in caring for his vehicles and it definitely shows. I've spent the last two years performing general maintenances as you can see in my previous post.

Almost 200 views and not a single person wants to spend my money!? Maybe the right answer is to just do nothing and continue to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2021, 12:26 PM
JonMopar

Yeah I know the feeling about a lot of views but no comments lol.

I’ll say this. If the jeep is in good condition, and maintenance wise doesn’t need anything, there’s not much to do. It sounds like you’re not going to bring it into the extreme rough stuff…so I would keep it fairly stock, and not bother looking in the long arm kits or changing differentials. Rubicon express 2 inch budget boost lift, and some 31 inch tires should be everything you need. Maybe some sway bar quick disconnects. Quadratec’s website has lots of goodies.

Beyond that, keep the rest of the money for just maintaining it. Or maybe improve the lighting for when you’re off road, like some new headlights, or off-road/fog lights. And if you want to get really fancy, you could get a little compressor to keep on board, in case you need to air down your tires. But that depends on the trails you’re going down. If you’re not doing anything extreme, there’s no need for heavy duty front bumper and winch. Maybe just some tow straps and tow hooks.

Just my .2cents

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2021, 03:46 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

I wouldn't do a budget boost. It's ok for starters but the ride isn't great and the axles will still be a bit off center without adjustable track bars.

If you want the best ride/performance for 31s I'd do:
OME 2.5 HD springs
Front and rear adjustable track bars or at least the front.
Aftermarket adjustable lower control arms because the stock arms bend easily.
Axle end control arm mount skids because those bend easily.
A really nice set of shocks. At least Bilstein.
Addco front and rear sway bars.
Jks quick sway bar disconnect for the front.
Gas tank skid plate. Tcase skid plate.
Maybe front and rear diff skids.
Rough country winch plate.
Lighting
Wheels with less back space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in