98 Jeep Grand Cherokee towing package ? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
goblin11372

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee towing package ?

I have 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, limited ed. and I'd like to order a trailer wiring kit. How can I check if it came with a towing package. When I opened the cover on the left rear side by the lamp, I noticed a box with two plugs, is that it?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 PM
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin11372
I have 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, limited ed. and I'd like to order a trailer wiring kit. How can I check if it came with a towing package. When I opened the cover on the left rear side by the lamp, I noticed a box with two plugs, is that it?

Thanks,
The easiest way is to get a build sheet. It outlined how to do so in the FAQ.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Chris GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
The easiest way is to get a build sheet. It outlined how to do so in the FAQ.

I slightly skimmed over the GC FAQ stickied on this forum and didnt see anything on getting a build sheet. I might be blind but I will check again.

Edit : Looked again and found it....maybe I am blind lol

post #4 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

If it's got a trailer tow prep package, it'll have a tranny cooler behind the grill on the passenger side. It will also have the little white box in the drivers side rear (behind the tail lamp) to accept the wiring harness. Is it a V8? If so it'll already have the 3.73 gears.

Build sheet is the blue link in the FAQ.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
goblin11372

4.0 engines. I have the little white box in the driver side rear (behind the tail lamp). This box has two harnesses on the bottom.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Canuck
If it's got a trailer tow prep package, it'll have a tranny cooler behind the grill on the passenger side. It will also have the little white box in the drivers side rear (behind the tail lamp) to accept the wiring harness. Is it a V8? If so it'll already have the 3.73 gears.

Not necessarily. I have the tow package but I do not have the external tranny cooler. All ZJs with the tow package do have 3.73 gears though.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 06:23 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Not necessarily. I have the tow package but I do not have the external tranny cooler. All ZJs with the tow package do have 3.73 gears though.
Correct after 96 I believe they dropped the tranny cooler in the tow package, stupid idea. My 98 ZJ has the factory tow package and I had to have a cooler installed.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Is the quickest, easiest way to look in the PDC and see if you have the relay? (or wherever it is, if not the PDC) I don't recall.

Anyway, goblin, there are 2 levels of factory tow options, one is the full trailer towing package, which would have had the factory hitch with the wire harness & plug, and the second is the "Tow Prep Group" which didn't have the hitch or the harness, but did have the other hard-to-install items like gear ratio, trans cooler (possibly), different power steering pump, higher output alternator, relay and wiring split.

The wiring split would be above the driver's side rear wheelwell on your '98. In the main wiring bundle going back to the rear, for a factory trailer tow set-up, they Y'd off from the light wires to create the towing wiring harness. It had a group of relays, then the wires on out the back to the trailer plug-in on the hitch. The Tow Prep Group had that wiring Y, but it ended at a connection plug above the wheelwell. Let me say it right, a full tow package has that connection plug too, but it will have the towing wiring harness plugged into it.

What the factory towing wiring harness does, is it has a power wire and then the wires Y'd off of the rear light wires to act as signal sources, so by using the relays, it copies the rear light functions to the trailer lights. A lot of aftermarket trailer wiring kits simply split the electricity to send some to the trailer. They may have transformers or other such electrical doohickies to try to help that work better. With the factory harness, the trailer lights are powered separately.

For your reading pleasure, or agony, as the case may be:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...-wiring-37907/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...wiring-245544/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...rness-1270994/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...wobble-269285/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...p-how-1471573/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...lights-871172/
post #9 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Correct after 96 I believe they dropped the tranny cooler in the tow package, stupid idea. My 98 ZJ has the factory tow package and I had to have a cooler installed.
My 97 4.0 has the Tow Prep Group and it has the trans cooler. I don't know for sure if that was standard with the group or special add-on, but the way it is listed on the window sticker, it looks to be a standard part of the group.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Oh crap! This thread is 12 years old, except the last reply before mine.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 07:11 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiverT View Post
My 97 4.0 has the Tow Prep Group and it has the trans cooler. I don't know for sure if that was standard with the group or special add-on, but the way it is listed on the window sticker, it looks to be a standard part of the group.
It was no longer standard after 1996 and a horrible idea to no longer include it at least as a factory option, probably was a dealer add-on which if I recall many of these things were added at the dealer level rather than the factory...My 98 didn't have a cooler and after I found they stopped installing them with the tow package I wasn't exactly thrilled with the 150k on it with no cooling.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 PM
ZJ_Jimmy

My 98 has a tranny cooler and 3.73 gears. I know because thats one of my many tranny leaks or was....

Does anyone k ow which line is the return line and if there is specifics on which one connects to which on the cooler?
post #13 of 18 Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ_Jimmy View Post
My 98 has a tranny cooler and 3.73 gears. I know because thats one of my many tranny leaks or was....

Does anyone k ow which line is the return line and if there is specifics on which one connects to which on the cooler?

IIRC the lower hard line from the trans is the input to the radiator cooler. THe upper line comes from the cooler and wraps around to a rubber line into the cooler.. That goes back to the upper line on the unibody rail. As far ash input/output of the separate cooler it does not matter

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Canuck View Post

It SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN a tranny cooler, but 98's didn't get one. They were cutting costs at Chrysler at the time.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-24-2019, 11:55 PM
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

my 98' 4.0 has trans cooler built into the radiator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in