Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98' Ash Tray Light(?)

650 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  KiloWatts 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I've got a 98' ZJ Laredo with 281k miles on it, nothing special, just the standard stock jeep. I was looking into upgrading the interior lights to LEDs because that is one of the few things I can do as a teenager (considering time and available funds). The one thing I am unsure of is the ashtray light. Does that exist? In the manual it does claim there is one but no light initiates when I open the ashtray and I don't see a bulb (or I can't maneuver in order to see it). Can anyone attach a picture of where the bulb is located please? Is there anything special about it too... i.e. only turns on when the cigarette lighter is in use? Thank y'all!

#2 ·
There's an ashtray light and there's also a light behind the cig lighter circle. I replaced both with LEDs a while back. You'll have to pull back that part of the dash to get to them. The ash tray bulb is right on top and easy to see. The cig lighter bulb is harder to get to - requires partially disassembling the lighter itself.

That being said, I lost power to both bulbs a while back and haven't figured out why yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.