98 5.2 low beams and rear wiper not working ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

98 5.2 low beams and rear wiper not working ?

hey guys,
some electric issues,

all the headlights work ( high beams, turning signals, fogs and corners), but not the low beams. anyone knows if there is a fuse or something to check out please?

also, not related, rear wiper not working, same questions though, any chance to find a fuse or a relay?

thanks

98 5.2

360swapped:np242swap,shift kit,BOLT ONs,ome HD coils,aussie locker,dana30hp trussed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
IIRC all the fuses for these items are in the passenger front kick panel.

My rear wiper is also inop. My research has lead me to the understanding that the design suck. They leak into the housing and corrode. When you turn the rear wiper on listen for an audible click from the passenger side. That would be the relay energizing. Same thing with the low beams. Id turn the fogs off just to prevent some accidental confusion.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 PM
Greg Raber
1995 ZJ 

Garage
My 95 started doing this too. Wiper died a month or 2 ago, haven;t looked into it since the rearview mirror fell off
Finally dark enough to need lights sometimes, same issue there. No low beams or fogs, high beam ok. I did find one thing, it only does it when the tilt wheel is down all the way. Move it up 1 notch they turn on again. So likely a bad wire in the steering column somewhere. Long as they dont' quit completely I won't worry about it on something I rarely drive, and not often in the dark. That and the lights suck anyways, my high beams are still worse than the lows on any modern car.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2018, 12:33 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

No relay for the low beams, but there is one for the fogs. That's sounding more like a switch issue though.

Rear wiper has a fuse in the kick panel (for 96+).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

hey guys,
sorry about the delay in the answer, been way too busy and had some issue with the forum.

anyway, thanks for the tips, i'll check them out

360swapped:np242swap,shift kit,BOLT ONs,ome HD coils,aussie locker,dana30hp trussed
post #6 of 9 Old 09-30-2018, 07:42 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I had that multifunction switch go bad about 10 years ago. What used to happen was if you switched from low beams to high then back to low the low beams would go out, or not come on. Replacing the switch fixed it. Not a hard job, just be careful getting the connector off. I put in a Painless Wiring relay harness years ago, so I've had relays for years and it is a better set up because less current goes through the switch, you are only triggering the relays.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Greg Raber
1995 ZJ 

Garage
In the end my rear wipers was a fuse, but not the one for the wipers.... the one for the trailer package.
The head lights issue was a wire loose in the steering column. Right behind the wheel is a large connector. One wire was partly pulled out. I squeezed the female blade connector a bit to make it grip better, pulled a touch of slack and pushed it back Into the connector.

So other than random all dash lights go out I’m back in business.

Hope this helps with your issue.

Greg

95 ZJ Orvis 5.2L
"Keep your stick on the ice"
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

thanks for the precious help here guys

i'll have to check what you guys are advicing, so far i did not have the time to do it due to other work on the Z.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

hey guys,
so low beams are now working.
i have what appears to be an aftermarket wiring harness with 2 relays next to the battery.
one of them wasn't working properly.

still have to look at the rear wiper and hatch

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in