97 ZJ static issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

97 ZJ static issue

My 97 ZJ seems to really generate a lot of static electricity, to the point of it actually being painful to get out of the old girl, LOL!

Is / was there some type of grounding strap I may be missing?

Interior is stock cloth seats nothing else has been changed but it is starting to get old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM
1997 ZJ 

I've been wondering about this too....I get shocked every single time I get out of my car.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 AM
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

It's just the area you're in. This time of year both my Jeep and my Caliber do it to me. I just make sure to touch the metal door frame while I'm sitting down still and it seems to greatly reduce the shock when getting out.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Yes, what jm8881 said. I have learned this one over the years. As you get out of the seat/car, continue to touch the door jamb as you swing out of the car. Release the touch after you're completely away from the seat cushions. Then carefully reach for the plastic door-handle to close the door.

When my Jeep was new, I used to gas up at a Chevron station down the street from me. I used to get the crap shocked out of me when I got out of the car at the station. You could/can actually see the spark arching across in broad daylight sometimes! I mentioned this to the attendant, and that it's probably dangerous around fuel. Initially he laughed it off, but eventually he came out to the Jeep and watched it in wide-eyed disbelief. About a month later I went to gas up and the same attendant motioned for me to come into the office where he was. When I got in there, he pointed at a fresh Chevron corporate memo that addressed this issue. It said that a hazard had been discovered, the hard way, that this spark could indeed cause a flash fire, and that "some people" need to discharge the static before they to to open the fuel door, etc.

The severity of the shock increases during very dry weather, much like we've had for a while here on the west coast. I've had a few "good" ones the past few days when I've neglected to stay grounded as I exited the car. Perhaps leather interiors are the way to go for us "sparkers"? I find that if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, these sparks can be enough to send me "postal".
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Oldfrog
2007 WK 

It's the automatic alarm clock. Std equipment on the Laredo.

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
The severity of the shock increases during very dry weather, much like we've had for a while here on the west coast. I've had a few "good" ones the past few days when I've neglected to stay grounded as I exited the car. Perhaps leather interiors are the way to go for us "sparkers"? I find that if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, these sparks can be enough to send me "postal".
Can confirm. My Laredo had cloth seats and would invariably shock me on exit unless it was raining. My Limited, Orvis, and Niner all had leather, and I never once got a shock on exit.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

Well after hearing the basic reports I figure what I am going to try is grounding the seats to the chassis, I have some Fine braided super wick solder that is about .100 wide and copper coated.

I figure to take a section and run it from the seat to the sheet metal of the ZJ, might see if I can get it under some of the cushion area and then ground it.

I will keep everyone in the loop on this if I am successful.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 PM
MaintMech
Old and in the way

1996 ZJ 

Attach a metal chain to the frame. Make sure it touches the ground as you drive.

Problem solved!!!!

'96 Grand Laredo, 4.0, Stock, Daily Driver

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!

Originally Posted by coralman
If the faith isn't there,the doubt is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in