2Likes
  • 1 Post By kg6mov
  • 1 Post By GOLDWING

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

'97 ZJ - Need Advice!

Hey guys, I'm new to ZJ's and have been looking locally (Portland, Oregon area) for a clean one to work with for an off-road/overland project. I'm interested in eventually installing a 4" lift and running 33s (nothing too wild), and doing the maintenance on my own. I found a really clean looking '97 limited with a 5.2 V8, 121,000 miles, 1 owner, old guy who can't drive anymore. Seems like the ideal seller but it has likely sat for a while, and hasn't had much but oil changes. They are asking $2300, which seems real reasonable in the area because these seem rare.

I'm going to inspect/test-drive it tomorrow morning and probably make a deal if it is clean. Is there anything in particular that I should look for on a '97? I used to have a 97 Ram with the 5.2 magnum and I know about the plenum gasket issue on them.

I'm pretty familiar with what to look for on used vehicles in general but figured i'd ask for some insight on specific '97 issues.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Here's a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
zj1.jpg  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's basically a really nice ram with a lighter duty transmission. Be wary of crappy front end components, expect to throw new arms/bushings at it if they can't prove it's been done.

Being a V8 it's got the 249 t-case, that means AWD and 4lo. If the VC in the case is burned up it will be noticeable on tight turns when the jeep is warmed up.

I don't know that I'd pay 2300 for one, but the market here is a little better I think. They are a solid platform and certainly worth around that for a good clean one in daily condition.
NWDC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 AM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDC View Post
Here's a picture:
I just sold a '98 that could be twins with the one in your photo.

It was a good runner/driver with terminal cancer and almost 330,000 miles. The first guy to look at it gave $1000.

$2300 sounds ok if there are no big issues.123,000 miles is just broke in.

GW
NWDC likes this.

"The Dude Abides"
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
It's basically a really nice ram with a lighter duty transmission. Be wary of crappy front end components, expect to throw new arms/bushings at it if they can't prove it's been done.

Being a V8 it's got the 249 t-case, that means AWD and 4lo. If the VC in the case is burned up it will be noticeable on tight turns when the jeep is warmed up.

I don't know that I'd pay 2300 for one, but the market here is a little better I think. They are a solid platform and certainly worth around that for a good clean one in daily condition.
Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately there wasn't enough cabin head room for me since i'm fairly tall (6'7"). It would possibly work with a sun-roof delete but that would be hard to find and might not even fit. So back to WJ I guess...
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2020, 11:34 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Most, if not all Laredos don't have sunroofs, FWIW. They can accommodate 6'2" folks pretty well, but 6'7" might be pushing the headliner envelope a bit.

BTW, looking at the image of that ZJ you were looking at, I don't see the 4x4 markings on the back fender. If it's not there, it's highly unlikely that it's 4x4. Maybe it's there, or maybe you didn't need a 4x4? If it is a 4x4, and doesn't have rust from salted roads, the interior is clean, no major accidents, etc., I don't see $2,300 as a bad deal for one that clean with low miles. Good luck.

1998 Laredo 4.0L 4x4, 242 TC. Turned over 200K miles in 06/18. Original owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in