97 ZJ front rotor suggestions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

97 ZJ front rotor suggestions

OK ZJ still running fine but now I am thinking I nned to look at brakes.

Replaced rears the weekend I first bought it, and adjusted E brake as well.

Fronts had a lot of pad left so I passed on making any changes at that time.

Fast forward from March 2014 to April 2015 and I have developed a slight shudder in the front brakes.

I've been told ZJ's are prone to warping rotor and this explains my slight shudder when braking going down hill.

Now the question: Anybody got a better rotor as a replacement?

Looking for suggestions on a rotor that won't warp, not a better price.

Currently looking at Autozone's Goldlast rotors, drilled and grooved at $46 each. three year warranty I believe, plus Autozone is down the street!

But if anyone has had an issue or, better yet, found a better built rotor I'd like to know where!

Pretty sure everyone else would be interested as well.

Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 PM
GoneBad
1997 ZJ 

Brake Rotors

Hi,
I've had luck with the Power Stop rotors but there are others people like too.

As an FYI, for the ZJ, the design of the front knuckle/caliper design can have more to do with warped rotors that the rotor itself. The brake pads ride directly on the rails of the knuckle and tend to wear grooves in the rails. The pads want to stay set in the groove rather than fully releasing after braking and consequently the rotors end up overheated and warping. It took me a couple sets of rotors to figure it out.

A couple of threads on rotor selection and ZJ brake repair that might be useful:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...ipers-2783538/

[URL="https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/its-time-again-brake-job-2737250/[/URL]

[URL="https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/where-find-brake-anti-rattle-clips-2726490/[/URL]
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 PM
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I have no personal experience with them, but I've seen raves about these http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com from the TJ & JK guys.

The seller is MrBlaine, the guru in the TJ forum.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Kolak
Vendor

I've always recommended Stillen rotors and pads for Jeeps. I do have them on special too. PM me if you'd like some information.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM
GoneBad
1997 ZJ 

FWIW, I've gotten the Stillen rotors from Kolak and have been happy with them. Went with his recommended pads too, they work well together. Some folks have had small stones lodge in the drilled rotor holes; I spend a lot of time off the pavement and have not had that problem (yet anyway).
post #6 of 10 Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

I have had three ZJ's, a 95 Laredo, a 98 Limited 5.2, and a 98 5.9 Limited, all with terrible brakes, especially when they are really needed. I upgraded to:

Centric Parts 120.67022 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating

Centric Parts 120.67032 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating

EBC Brakes DP41255R Yellowstuff Street and Track Brake Pad

EBC Brakes DP61130 6000 Series Greenstuff Truck and SUV Brake Pad

I have always loved speed!!!! On the way home from the dealer with my new Trans Am I buried the speedo and regularly wound the speedo all the way around to 0 MPH. Since upgrading I have never had a problem stopping my 5.9 Limited, even from triple digit speeds.
The pads are expensive, but being able to stop is more important, at least to me. My only other option was to do a brake rotor, pad and caliper upgrade at over $1000. This was a LOT cheaper and a LOT easier and it worked for me. The next weakest point for me was the sway bars, so mine has had ADDCO's since 2000. Then I was always walking up against the speed limiter, so I had that raised along with a performance program by BG Chrysler.

Jennifer
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2015, 11:55 PM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

I'm generally a fan of Centric, but I've been running Bosch on my ZJ, along with Federal Mogul ceramic brake pads, and they've been very sturdy.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 AM
bryanintowson
1994 ZJ 

From what I've read - stay away from drilled and slotted rotors. Unless you are racing, those rotors wear out at a significantly accelerated pace and regular non-drilled and slotted will wear much better and are better value for money.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Kolak
Vendor

It likely depends on the drill pattern and quality of the rotor. The Stillen rotors I've sold to ZJ owners (and used myself) for over 17 years now do not wear any faster than stock rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
From what I've read - stay away from drilled and slotted rotors. Unless you are racing, those rotors wear out at a significantly accelerated pace and regular non-drilled and slotted will wear much better and are better value for money.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Used centric rotors and originally used hawk performance pads that were a carbon formulation. They stopped great,but as I have read, performance pads stop better but don't last as long. This held true in my case. Of course I drive the 4.0 like I have a hemi under the hood too. Rat always recommended the centrics and that is why I went with them. Stillen has been around a long time but I don't have any experience with them.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in