1Likes
  • 1 Post By coralman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Hephalumph
1997 ZJ 

Garage
97 ZJ AC/Clutch Relay issue

I recently got a 97 ZJ (limited 5.2 v8). One of several issues it had was the AC not working. The previous owner assured me that a new AC relay would fix it. He could short across the relay and it would blow cold. It was one of the more minor issues, and I was taking him at his word for other things, so I did not ask for a demonstration. And I later thought he was lying about it, since I did buy a brand new relay which did not fix anything.

But then I checked the pressure, which was low but not so low it shouldn't run, had it recharged...and when it wasn't working, I told the guy in the shop what the previous owner had said - and so he pulled the relay, shorted across it, and the clutch kicked in. Now I need to track down where and why that is happening. My guess is the wiring inside the relay/fuse box is the most logical place to start. But I thought before I grab my voltmeter and start exploring, I would search online.

...and I came up with almost nothing on any electrical issues with a ZJ. Aside from a few videos where the entire gauge cluster was failing for many people (and those weren't ZJ specific....).

So my next step, is to ask here!

Possibly unrelated issues, but they are also potentially electrical issues, so I will list them;
  • Sun Roof seems to have a short - sometimes works perfect, sometimes the switch doesn't work at all, sometimes it works but is 'choppy' in opening or closing. All windows work fine.
  • Left (driver's side) rear door does not lock/unlock automatically, either with remote or in-car lock/unlock buttons. Have to manually lock/unlock that door.
  • Fuel gauge works about half the time. At random intervals, sometimes for a second or two, sometimes for several minutes or an entire trip, it drops to empty (and the gas light comes on). All other gauges/lights appear to work fine.
  • No working cruise control.

I am guessing the cruise control, gas gauge, and door lock issues are not really electrical, but probably separate mechanical issues with those areas of the vehicle. The sun roof, I am betting is a wiring issue around the switch for it, probably a loose ground or something. So I don't really feel any of those are related. But I could be way off base in my assumptions, so why not describe everything I know of that might possibly be related?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

I had a ground go bad on my clutch. I put a brand new clutch in there and still no ac. I cleaned up the ground that comes off the clutch that is held with a bolt behind the compressor. Cleaned it up with some sand paper and wala!

Cruise control is most likely a bad vacuum line. The tiny lines can pull apart easily. The line runs around the coolant overflow all the way to the intake, about 10" under the throttle body. The 5/16" rubber elbow that connects it to the intake can split and still appear fine at a quick glance.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Hephalumph
1997 ZJ 

Garage
I will check that first thing tomorrow.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

For your AC problem check the AC cycling/low pressure switch on the accumulator/dryer. Might also check the high pressure cut off switch on the compressor to make sure it isn't shorted. On mine the insulation has shrunk so there is a bit of bare wire at the plug so I just make sure that the wires don't touch. Other than that I'd guess you'd have to dig into the wiring for shorts/opens. It's not a complex circuit.

Whatever shop you took it to should have pointed out that if the compressor won't run you can't fully charge the system.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Hephalumph
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
For your AC problem check the AC cycling/low pressure switch on the accumulator/dryer. Might also check the high pressure cut off switch on the compressor to make sure it isn't shorted. On mine the insulation has shrunk so there is a bit of bare wire at the plug so I just make sure that the wires don't touch. Other than that I'd guess you'd have to dig into the wiring for shorts/opens. It's not a complex circuit.
Yeah, I have started checking around in there, not yet sure where the issue is, but it doesn't seem overly complicated.
Quote:
Whatever shop you took it to should have pointed out that if the compressor won't run you can't fully charge the system.
He shorted past the relay to keep the compressor running while recharging.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

The switch for the sunroof probably has a short in it some where. The left rear door has a boot "broken wire thing." Fuel pump has a broken mast adjustment screw. The pump, when replacing,it is better to do the whole thing.
Hephalumph likes this.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Hephalumph
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
The switch for the sunroof probably has a short in it some where. The left rear door has a boot "broken wire thing." Fuel pump has a broken mast adjustment screw. The pump, when replacing,it is better to do the whole thing.
I figured that on the sun roof. Just have to find the short and fix it; not hard, just not a priority.

I did a quick google on the boot broken wire thing, and came up with a lot of info (mainly from dodge trucks, but seems to be the same thing) - so thanks a lot for that! It will be a huge help.

And, that sucks *** if that is the issue with the fuel pump. Not at a place where I want to do a fuel pump replacement myself. Dropping the tank and all (or, as I once saw one 'genius/idiot' do - cutting through the floor!) is not fun. Google isn't giving me anything on a broken mast adjustment screw for a fuel pump. Will it cause other issues, or is it just going to be the gauge being wacky? Because if that is the only problem, I can live with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in