97 with ATC, only blowing out defrost/feet vents - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
demagogue

1997 ZJ 

Garage
97 with ATC, only blowing out defrost/feet vents

Currently my ac/heat is only blowing out of the defrost and driver side floor vent. I have the automatic temp control. I got down under the driver side by the pedals and didn't see the servo motor moving any of the linkage. Also will add there aren't any trouble codes from the ATC.

Has anyone had something similar? Any thoughts if it's possible a wire or something is lose? I plan on looking into it more tomorrow when I have some more light and see if I can deduce what's going on but thought I would ask since I can't find much on the ATC system.

2002 KJ (Owned 2005-2015, RIP)
1997 ZJ Limited
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
1974 Ford F-100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
demagogue

1997 ZJ 

Garage
I guess I could be hitting this TSB assuming it applies to the 97 too. https://workshop-manuals.com/jeep/gr...ding/sticking/

1997 ZJ Limited
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
1974 Ford F-100
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 AM
BeardyHat

1998 ZJ 

Been meaning to make a post about this message, as I'm having the same issues.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but the little bit of research and investigation I did, revealed two possible issues.

One, the switch you've already mentioned, near the right side of the gas pedal.

Two, there's a vacuum line that comes out on the passenger side firewall and runs that side of the vehicle. If this is loose or damaged, the vehicle will stop switching the vents correctly.

Hopefully that'll help. If I come across those resources I found previously, I'll post them here.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Vent system need proper vacuum to work correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
Currently my ac/heat is only blowing out of the defrost and driver side floor vent. I have the automatic temp control. I got down under the driver side by the pedals and didn't see the servo motor moving any of the linkage. Also will add there aren't any trouble codes from the ATC.

Has anyone had something similar? Any thoughts if it's possible a wire or something is lose? I plan on looking into it more tomorrow when I have some more light and see if I can deduce what's going on but thought I would ask since I can't find much on the ATC system.
FOLKS -- you have vacuum leaks -- first check the little tank ( to hold extra capacity after engine is turned off) -- but vent control system will default to only the defroster outlet if there is a broken hose or anything else causing the vacuum from engine to be lost --- some comb over every single hose starting with the big one where it gets vacuum from the intake manifold

1995 Cherokee 4.0 with no power options.;
2011 GC Overland Hemi
post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Nope, none of the ATC system is vacuum operated, it's all electric.

Mode door arm on the ATC is a common failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 PM
spife7980

1997 ZJ 

I am having this same issue.
Gets hot and cold it seems so that rules out a blend door (its TX, its already hot unless its airconditioned).
Blows normal and cold. Great, its just directed onto the windshield and sort of on my gas pedal chin. So just a air navigation issue.
No fault codes with the ATC stickman stuff from this limited snippet, stays at 00 in the fault test. Though, I dont know what all of the 36 test programs are so I cant run those to try and narrow it down that way. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...j-hvac-bit.pdf

I have found that on the drivers side foot linkage that I can disconnect the bottom clip and pull down on the actuating rod and that switches the air to blowing out the middle vents onto me beautifully. So I think I may just wire it down and keep it blowing on my face until winter.

Defrostposition with it latched in like its supposed to be

Mid face vents, might buy one of those cute little vice grips just to weight it down.

Am I crazy in thinking that this is the motor thats seized up? Could it be anything else? With the rod disconnected the above door moves freely, its the linkage going into the underside of the dash that wont move at all.

-James
Got to love an ORVIS guy...
IRO 5.5", Front LA & Double Sheer TB, Rear Adj SA and TB, JKS Quick Discos, Bilstein 5125, 265/75/16 Nitto Terra's, Cragar 16x& Soft 8s 4" bs
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
post #7 of 10 Old 10-14-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
demagogue

1997 ZJ 

Garage
Wow you finding that is a game changer for me, because now I can at least rig something up to get usable AC/heat. I wonder if there's a relay out that controls that motor? Or a fuse maybe?

I'll check next time I get a chance. Per the link below, looks like #12 controls some of the door actuators.

https://fuse-box.info/jeep/jeep-gran...ses-and-relays

1210A/C Heater Control (MTC), Blend Door Actuator (MTC), Automatic Temperature Control Module (ATC), Recirculation Door Actuator (ATC), Driver/Passenger Seat Heater Control Module, Switch POD

Last edited by demagogue; 10-14-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add more info
post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
demagogue

1997 ZJ 

Garage
Definitely not the fuse.

1997 ZJ Limited
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
1974 Ford F-100
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
demagogue

1997 ZJ 

Garage
Relevant thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...umber-3360938/

1997 ZJ Limited
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
1974 Ford F-100
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 07:49 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

our 1995 XJ is entirely vacuum operated. We plugged the line at the T - on firewall and suddenly the interior vents work in all positions, so ours defaults to the defroster if there is not enough vacuum to operate the other doors-- makes sense as it's most important for visibility. Our cruise control line was the problem -- it had cracked and caused a vacuum leak so the doors defaulted to the defroster.....

1995 Cherokee 4.0 with no power options.;
2011 GC Overland Hemi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in