• 1 Post By riiz
  • 1 Post By riiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2021, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
catalinandrei.m
1996 ZJ 

'96 ZJ Squeaky Brakes Problem

Hello guys,

I would desperately like to get your help regarding this issue because I'm getting real frustrated over this squeaking.

I own a '96 5.2L V8 ZJ with 70k miles on it, and when I got the car this year in may I decided that the breaks need new rotors and pads and the calipers needed new pistons and gaskets so no problem said and done the following:
- Brembo rotors & pads in the front (they squeaked like hell, they made this loud high pitched metallic sound)
- Brembo rotors & TRW pads in the rear (they work flawless)
I went with the squeaky issue to another shop and they suggested that the rotors and the pads are not compatible which to me sounds like total bull**** because they're basically from. the same manufacturer but who I am to know and I did this:
- Kept the Brembo Rotors, and changed the Brembo pads with TRW pads (because the rear rotor&pad combination worked flawlessly)
But after 1 or 2 days the squeaking reappears but only at one wheel and it drives me insane.
I figured that they squeak only after 5-10 minutes of driving, they don't do any sound when the rotors/pads are cold.

Any suggestion to fix my issue would be amazing.
Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8932.jpg   IMG_8937.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-16-2021, 09:39 PM
Titnado1
1998 ZJ 

Garage
what type of pads? semi metalic? organic? ceramic? also did you install shim pads on the back of the pads where the caliper engages the brakes?

If you can drive it, fly it, or bang it.... rent it.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-16-2021, 09:40 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

I'm almost too jealous to answer your question.

I'm not a brake expert or aftermarket brake geek, and I have never looked into the technical explanation, but I have noticed that most "better than stock" brake pads come with shims that you are supposed to use to reduce noise or squealing. Sometimes I think I've noticed that even stock replacement type pads have an accessory shim kit available for purchase. I have never bought Brembo or any of the high performance pads, only Raybestos, TRW, NAPA, Wagner, etc. name-brand premium grade stock replacement pads, and I have never bought the shim kits.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2021, 11:26 AM
riiz

1996 ZJ 

Are there grooves cut into the knuckles where the pads ride? If they are deep enough, the pads can get stuck in them and do not apply evenly to the rotor surface until you press the brake a bit harder.
GOLDWING likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-18-2021, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
catalinandrei.m
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titnado1 View Post
what type of pads? semi metalic? organic? ceramic? also did you install shim pads on the back of the pads where the caliper engages the brakes?
That I don’t know, but I bought Brembo rotors and pads made for exactly like the original rotors and pads (same size but different materials) and the pads did not have anything in the box besides the pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiz View Post
Are there grooves cut into the knuckles where the pads ride? If they are deep enough, the pads can get stuck in them and do not apply evenly to the rotor surface until you press the brake a bit harder.
I took the car to the mechanic and they lifted it and took the calipers apart and the caliper mounts (also where the pads slide) do indeed have some deep grooves. This may be a good explanation I guess.
I added a pic and I drawn where the grooves are.
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 Old 09-18-2021, 08:59 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
ZJs don't use caliper brackets in the front, calipers mount directly to knuckles. Rear caliper brackets look way different than the ones in your picture.

That being said, both the front and rear brake pad "ears" where they slide very often have deep grroves in them, which need to be welded and then grounded flat.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #7 of 11 Old 09-18-2021, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
catalinandrei.m
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
ZJs don't use caliper brackets in the front, calipers mount directly to knuckles. Rear caliper brackets look way different than the ones in your picture.

That being said, both the front and rear brake pad "ears" where they slide very often have deep grroves in them, which need to be welded and then grounded flat.
You’re right, my bad cuz English is not my main language and I did not fully understand ar first.

So you suggest welding them or replacing them with new ones or used ones? I’m just a student and I don’t really have lots of money for now..
post #8 of 11 Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Front knuckles and rear caliper brackets can be welded, they're cast steel. Preheat, weld (MIG is just fine, stick welder is better but not a must), grind back to original shape, let 'em cool slowly (wrap a welding blanket, mat or something similar around them).

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #9 of 11 Old 09-19-2021, 05:35 PM
Titnado1
1998 ZJ 

Garage
I would try some shims before i went welding on the calipers. maybe even some of that sticky goop on the back of the pads mighty work if he didnt put either on. those will help alot

If you can drive it, fly it, or bang it.... rent it.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 11:35 AM
riiz

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titnado1 View Post
I would try some shims before i went welding on the calipers. maybe even some of that sticky goop on the back of the pads mighty work if he didnt put either on. those will help alot
Well, you're in luck. You just weld on the knuckles and fill in the grooves with filler metal. Then grind smooth with a belt sander or an angle-grinder with a flap-wheel, the latter being my choice of tool. I literally just repaired a set of front knuckles for a work friend last night. You spend maybe 5 seconds applying a weld to both, but heating the knuckles up and smoothing take much more time. It takes maybe 45 minutes to do a pair of knuckles that look like they were never grooved to began with.
Timo_90xj likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-20-2021, 01:46 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Front knuckles and rear caliper brackets can be welded, they're cast steel. Preheat, weld (MIG is just fine, stick welder is better but not a must), grind back to original shape, let 'em cool slowly (wrap a welding blanket, mat or something similar around them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by riiz View Post
Well, you're in luck. You just weld on the knuckles and fill in the grooves with filler metal. Then grind smooth with a belt sander or an angle-grinder with a flap-wheel, the latter being my choice of tool. I literally just repaired a set of front knuckles for a work friend last night. You spend maybe 5 seconds applying a weld to both, but heating the knuckles up and smoothing take much more time. It takes maybe 45 minutes to do a pair of knuckles that look like they were never grooved to began with.
Agree with the above. I welded my knuckles during a routine brake job. I don't think it even took 45 minutes. Fired up the MIG, blasted in some new metal, filed it down (I prefer files for that type of work), and it was good for as long as I drove it. The MIG weld is harder than the casting based on how easily the file cut, I would check them occasionally after that and I saw no hint of a new groove forming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in