96 Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
aes941

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling issue

first time posting on here, so bear with me if i screw up. Jeep was stalling off and on, and would start up if I left it off for abt 15-30 mins. then issue got worse. I replaced fuel filter thinking it was bad, but no change. also no crud in filter. today took iac sensor off and checked it out. was crud inside housing and cleaned that. could it still be fuel pump or the sensor in tank causing the issue? am on a fixed income and trying to fix it as best i can. btw, sensor plunger was activating when checked, if that helps. any advice is appreciated and welcomed. am a newbie jeep owner and still love my jeep, even if it's giving me a pain in my keester. lol. forgot to mention , it is a 4.0 v6 Laredo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-16-2021, 12:19 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

lets start easy things first.

Check for codes even if CEL is off.
Describe WHEN it stalls- at idle, when braking, at ? MPH,
Remove and 'read' a few spark plugs are they Black, Tan, Wet, Dry, what brand and number?

If you have a fuel pressure gauge - post PSI.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-16-2021, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
aes941

further info

sorry am new to this...checked the fuel pressure, and it was at 49 psi. let it set for a bit and stayed the same. when all this started, it would run fine for a bit...driving down the road and it would conk out like out of gas. let it set for maybe 10-15 mins and would start right up. thought it might be filter , so changed that. fuel was not crudded up in filter at change. put Heet in tank as a precaution. still doing same thing. checked sensor on throttle body....was crudded up. haven't replaced that yet, but checked to see if it was able to activate.my thought is it the sensor in the tank? it has good fuel pressure. or it might be the screen on the fuel pump crudded up with something. my first jeep owned, and would love to get it back running as it's only vehicle we have.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-16-2021, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
aes941

more info

checked the spark plug. smells of fuel. enclosing pic of same. could a coil issue cause this prob?
Attached Thumbnails
20210916_100425.jpg   20210916_100436.jpg  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2021, 05:16 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

From the looks of the plugs, how about the distributor cap and rotor?

That being said, shutting off as you're driving could be something as expensive as the computer (PCM = Powertrain Control Module) or something as simple as cleaning the battery terminals. It's probably not fuel related.

Look through this:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...talls-1407423/

- clean the engine wiring harness ground connections, 1 by the coil, 1 under the dipstick mount, the obvious main ground to the body beside the battery
- oxygen sensor wires can burn through against the exhaust pipe and then get blown up again and touch it, causing a short and disrupting the PCM
- a wire in the engine wiring harness can wear through against something and cause a short maybe only if it bounces over against the metal again
- PCM wiring connections can be loose and cause it to die (see "12 Things ..." thread)
- the wires going into the distributor have been reported to wear through or break, but I think this is a "shut off and not restart" issue, unless they were to be not completely separated and then jar apart if you hit a bump
- the battery cables can corrode back up inside the insulation and eat away the wires, so maybe a bump causes it to loose power for a second
- shutting off and then starting 15 min later can very well be the ol' bad PCM issue
post #6 of 13 Old 09-22-2021, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
aes941

ongoing issues

got coil out today, and think i found the problem. at least i hope so. lol
Attached Thumbnails
20210922_184342.jpg   20210922_144223.jpg   20210922_184354.jpg  
post #7 of 13 Old 09-22-2021, 11:51 PM
jwz7
1996 ZJ 

My stalling issue turned out to be the crank position sensor. It would randomly stall. Wait just like you and it would start right back up. Eventually it got to the point it was stalling all the time. Went through all the fixes. Go through the grounds(frame to engine etc, even replacing the pcm) in the end it was the cps.. And that was cheap to replace and I did use a factory replacement from the dealership.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2021, 08:36 AM
JonS
1998 ZJ 

I went through a very similar situation a few years ago and thought each time I found the answer. Turned turned out to be the PCM and they are very intermittent with stalling. I will take the car on the same path each day and some days it would run fine; other days it will stall multiple times and restart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 ZJ
post #9 of 13 Old 09-25-2021, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
aes941

new update

today I installed the coil and , even though it is part of the issue, and needed to be changed anyways, did not help. Looking into the crankcase sensor next. hoping to get a code reader in next few days, am tired of chasing my tail on this thing.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-27-2021, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
aes941

more info

got the code reader today and this is what it showed:
Attached Thumbnails
20210927_180041.jpg  
post #11 of 13 Old 09-27-2021, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
aes941

more info

got the code reader today and this is what it showed: green indicators are as shown...red ones are as follows: Cat 025 and Htr. they didn't show on the pic and the vid was too big to send.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-01-2021, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
aes941

newest update

finally got the crankshaft sensor in today,,,started up and ran decent for a bit, although it was idling rather low. ran good until it got warmed up good and then wouldn't crank after shutting it off to get my son from work. i'm thinking that it is the idle air sensor that i cleaned but did not replace. am i anywhere close to being right, or is this thing a money pit of misery?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-01-2021, 09:34 AM
JonS
1998 ZJ 

PCM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 ZJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in