'96 Grille In a '93? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-27-2021, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Hoosierman

1993 ZJ 

Garage
'96 Grille In a '93?

The question is a little deeper than the title suggests. I replaced my front grille on the '93 a few months back but I am not happy with the current setup. The aftermarket OE style headlights never fit right and still don't, the front bumper cover is broken, and I was shipped a '96'-'98 silver grille by accident when I got the replacement.

Soooo....

I have no use for a winch, all I'm doing is some regular old off-roading out by my neck of the woods. No lift either. So if I remove my front and rear bumper covers, can the ones off of a nice '96 Laredo I found at a JY work? And can I install the '96 style grille that IMO looks better? I'm hoping to get all of the exterior work done before the summer turns into fall out here.

In short: Can I swap a '96 Grille and both bumper covers onto my '93? If so, what is required?

Thanks.

Carpe Viam, qui sum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-27-2021, 08:04 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

'96 Grille In a '93?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierman View Post
The question is a little deeper than the title suggests. I replaced my front grille on the '93 a few months back but I am not happy with the current setup. The aftermarket OE style headlights never fit right and still don't, the front bumper cover is broken, and I was shipped a '96'-'98 silver grille by accident when I got the replacement.

Soooo....

I have no use for a winch, all I'm doing is some regular old off-roading out by my neck of the woods. No lift either. So if I remove my front and rear bumper covers, can the ones off of a nice '96 Laredo I found at a JY work? And can I install the '96 style grille that IMO looks better? I'm hoping to get all of the exterior work done before the summer turns into fall out here.

In short: Can I swap a '96 Grille and both bumper covers onto my '93? If so, what is required?

Thanks.

For the front fascia swap you'll need the 96-98 header panel that's behind it.
Here's the difference.
96-98
Name:  IMG_3242.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  11.2 KB
93-95
Name:  IMG_3243.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  31.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 07-27-2021, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Hoosierman

1993 ZJ 

Garage
Supposed I have the '96 header panel. Does it fit into the '93 just fine? Or do I need to mod it to fit? how about headlights, will those fit just fine?

Carpe Viam, qui sum.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-27-2021, 10:06 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierman View Post
Supposed I have the '96 header panel. Does it fit into the '93 just fine? Or do I need to mod it to fit? how about headlights, will those fit just fine?

The header panel attaches to the body the same. The ZJ body is pretty much the same through 98. They just changed the grill/bumper and cladding look.
I don't know about the headlights, I would assume they are the same square headlights used throughout the ZJs production since new ones say they are for 93-98. Google is your friend.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-27-2021, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Hoosierman

1993 ZJ 

Garage
This makes sense. I think I will give 'er a go.

Carpe Viam, qui sum.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-27-2021, 10:40 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

The header panel will bolt right up. Imo you should also change the door cladding as well since your 93 will have the stripe the 96-98 doesn't.

I remember getting replacement headlights on my 94 they were a tight fit and weren't perfect.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2021, 04:46 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

A guy here has a red '93 and parked beside my red '97 at the grocery one day. I had always thought the earlier ones reminded me more of XJ's, so I stood there and compared the two. It seemed to me that the dip-down in the front bumper, I assume to allow a taller grill opening for more airflow, the directional wheels, and that little difference on the cladding are all that I could eyeball as different. Maybe the pinstripe. The headlights looked the same. I guess the straight grill on the early ones is what made them seem more like XJ's. I've seen people post on here in the past that the body panels are the same '93-'98.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-28-2021, 05:59 PM
jeepjeepster

Body panels are the same.

Ive always like the first gen ZJ more.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2021, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Hoosierman

1993 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Body panels are the same.

Ive always like the first gen ZJ more.

I really wish that I could feel the same way. I actually used to dislike the looks of the ZJ entirely only a few years back but it slowly grew on me after I got this one. I just can't for the life of me learn to like the original grille setup. Looks too angular to me. Now had the ZJ had an XJ front end, there would be no way in heck I'd consider changing it out. XJ is timeless for me.

**Still looking for an MJ Eliminator..... **

Carpe Viam, qui sum.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2021, 09:37 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

93 -95 grill have 8 slots. 96-98 have the traditional 7.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-08-2021, 11:15 AM
ZJeff1

1998 ZJ 

Garage
I have never picked up on that.
I have always wondered why I hated the 93-95 front ends. I blamed it on the grille being level with the bumper....now I know it was just crowded!
Attached Thumbnails
94 98.jpg  
post #12 of 14 Old 08-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Kolak
Vendor

The headlamps are the same from 1993-1998. The adjusters all changed in 1996 so you'll need those to mount properly to the new header panel. There's 3 pieces on each side - a horizontal adjuster, vertical adjuster, and a fixed pivot.

You may have to do some minor clearancing of the bumper reinforcement and drill a couple new holes if I recall correctly. I did the conversion on my 1993 but that was a loooong time ago and I don't remember precisely.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-19-2021, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Hoosierman

1993 ZJ 

Garage
Jeff just put into words why I dislike the front end. Thanks!

Carpe Viam, qui sum.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-19-2021, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Hoosierman

1993 ZJ 

Garage
Well currently I am waiting to do all of that conversion until I have the ZJ monstalinered. Problem is that I'm hearing Monstaliner is having a hard time getting the tints for their products. So once everything has been done for the exterior, I can give it a full rhinoplasty and hopefully not need to mess with it all again.

Carpe Viam, qui sum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in