• 1 Post By Jolly-Roger
  • 1 Post By jtec
  • 1 Post By Jolly-Roger

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

'96 5.2 Limited Electrical Issue

So, I am sitting here watching a movie, wife pops in and says she hears a clicking noise coming from the Jeep. I go out to see what's up, I hear nothing. Well last weekend I had to charge the battery as it was dead and it is a new battery. I fire up the Jeep, it starts, no issues. Shut it off, pull the key out of the ignition, and the heater blower is still running and the overhead console digital read out kinda flickers. So I am not sure where to start with this if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to look at first. I never noticed it doing any of this until today. It is a project as some know and it sits more than I drive it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jolly-Roger 96 GC Limited 242 TC, u-jont axle swap
Badwolf 14 Wrangler Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 06:38 PM
1shotleft

1935 CJ2A 

I had lots of electrical problems with my jeep when I first got it. It sat for a while before it came to me and some nice had eaten the shield off several wires in the body harness down by the passengers foot well. I had to pull the whole interior to find the problem.

Sent from space with lasers.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotleft View Post
I had lots of electrical problems with my jeep when I first got it. It sat for a while before it came to me and some nice had eaten the shield off several wires in the body harness down by the passengers foot well. I had to pull the whole interior to find the problem.

Sent from space with lasers.
Well, I am not sure how long mine sat, but when I dropped the headliner to work on the sunroof, there was a nest right by the motor and mouse poop everywhere. Guess i may need to make the room in the garage and get it ripped apart and see what I come across.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 07:30 PM
95-ZJ

1930 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly-Roger View Post
So, I am sitting here watching a movie, wife pops in and says she hears a clicking noise coming from the Jeep. I go out to see what's up, I hear nothing. Well last weekend I had to charge the battery as it was dead and it is a new battery. I fire up the Jeep, it starts, no issues. Shut it off, pull the key out of the ignition, and the heater blower is still running and the overhead console digital read out kinda flickers. So I am not sure where to start with this if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to look at first. I never noticed it doing any of this until today. It is a project as some know and it sits more than I drive it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Here goes my best online, non eyeball to eyeball guessimates. Hope my rant helps.

Since its a 1996 you have the abilty to have your Jeep tell you what the problem or issue might be. Get out your own, buy, or borrow an OBDII scan tool. Get out your trusty Chilton, Hayes, or factory repair manual. If you dont have such a book you can download or rent a pdf copy on several sites. YMMV.

Then, plug the obd2 scan tool in under tbe dash and follow directions in manual, on the printed back section of the unit or just turn it on and follow the prompts.

Many times you will get a code that will lead you to the culprit or help you get a lot closer to the issue. Other than that, time to start running down shorts.

Your wiring is 25 years old. Mine are 26 years older. All those harness and accessory wires have been rubbing and jostling around for all those years and unless your rig is a one owner and always garaged, you have a wire or three making ground to body or shorting out next to another similarly frayed wire.

Finally, you may have a water infiltration issue coming from some rotted or otherwise compromised moulding into the engine/wiring bay and or into the windshield seal and running down following gravity.

Wiring shorts and loose light bulbs are a hands on hunt, fire, load approach, lol. Get a multi meter and electrical probe testers from a local #harborfate# and get ready for the pain....lol Good luck and all the well wishing I can muster...

Wiring diagnosis by tapatalk forum is difficult if not darn near impossible. I did my best

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
Jolly-Roger likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 02:53 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

knee jerk reaction - lets look at ign switch, when it acting up (key in hand) what blower speed can you change speed, how about dash lights gauges, wipers, audio, anything else working?

Thats a thought before going and looking at diagrams.
Do you have manual or ATC HVAC controls?
LittleFootZJ and 95-ZJ like this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
knee jerk reaction - lets look at ign switch, when it acting up (key in hand) what blower speed can you change speed, how about dash lights gauges, wipers, audio, anything else working?

Thats a thought before going and looking at diagrams.
Do you have manual or ATC HVAC controls?
To answer you question, I went back out to the Jeep just now to see what else was coming on. Well, it is no longer doing that issue. But I can tell you I could change the speed of the ATC system I have. As for the the other stuff, I did not think to try. After just having had the Jeep running to add refrigerant, i shut it off for maybe 15 minutes. Now it would not start, until I gave it gas. Won't idle, and my son noticed the overdrive light flickering as I was trying to keep the engine running. I pushing the button an hold, it kills the engine. I restarting, having to give it gas, put it in drive and hold the brakes, push the overdrive but, it turns it off and on and does not kill the engine. This is gonna be some un troubleshooting. I am not so good at the electrical as I am the mechanical.
95-ZJ likes this.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 11:23 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

lets jump to the current issue and keep in mind the blower and EVIC lights.

If you get it running? do a charging system check, voltage before starting then voltage engine running.
If you have a DVOM I would also do a DIODE check, just a simple AC voltage reading with engine running.

1996 is good as that's OBDII so check for codes even if CEL is off.
AC work was only a refill?
Is there a POS remote starter on the jeep?
Any added modified electrical parts?
How old is battery?

SUMMARY
Check for codes, ALt check, and the few questions - POS, AC, mods, battery ?
95-ZJ likes this.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-08-2021, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
lets jump to the current issue and keep in mind the blower and EVIC lights.

If you get it running? do a charging system check, voltage before starting then voltage engine running.
If you have a DVOM I would also do a DIODE check, just a simple AC voltage reading with engine running.

1996 is good as that's OBDII so check for codes even if CEL is off.
AC work was only a refill?
Is there a POS remote starter on the jeep?
Any added modified electrical parts?
How old is battery?

SUMMARY
Check for codes, ALt check, and the few questions - POS, AC, mods, battery ?

I have manage to get it running, oddly enough if I put it in Neutral and give it a little gas it fires right up and I can put it back in park and it idles fine.

EVIC and DVOM is what?
I tried getting my bluetooth and wifi OBDII code readings to connect, it would not connect to the ECU on the jeep. I took it to my car to make sure the readers were working with my Torque app and it was working. So I have an issue with the jeep connecting to the ECU through OBDII. I will borrow my father's tomorrow to check to see if it has a connection issue.

AC was just a fill as I had it in vacuum and it held. Although the clutch is shot on the compressor.

No POS remote start or other electrical add ons. No signs of any in the past either. only modified electrical thing is the radio I just installed today and I used a wiring harness adapter to install in, it works good considering the factory radio crapped out.

Battery is about month and a half old. And so far have only had to charge it the one time. Even after it sitting since the last charge I have not had the original electrical gremlin just the start issue now.

If I give it gas while holding the overdrive but I can get it to spit and sputter pretty bad and it will eventually die.
95-ZJ likes this.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-09-2021, 08:03 AM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

'96 5.2 Limited Electrical Issue

I think the overdrive button has nothing to do with it. I would see what things are staying on when you remove the key and list them. Get yourself a wiring diagram, look and see where all those systems draw power from and what relays control the circuits. Check the wiring to the relays and then the relays. Then check what controls the relays. Also check the ground circuits related to those systems.

After you find the source of the electrical issues and fix them I would focus on the engine issue. They may be related or they may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 Old 05-09-2021, 09:10 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

the problem is someone came over with a bottle of bourbon...

You asked-
EVIC, what I call the overhead console
DVOM is a multimeter.

Check fuel pressure.
Does the CEL come on @2seconds every start then go out.
Scanner not connecting to PCM at the DLC (plug in) might ck cavity 16 of DLC, is there 12v?

post #11 of 13 Old 05-09-2021, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFootZJ View Post
I think the overdrive button has nothing to do with it. I would see what things are staying on when you remove the key and list them. Get yourself a wiring diagram, look and see where all those systems draw power from and what relays control the circuits. Check the wiring to the relays and then the relays. Then check what controls the relays. Also check the ground circuits related to those systems.

After you find the source of the electrical issues and fix them I would focus on the engine issue. They may be related or they may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats the thing, the original problem I posted of the HVAC staying on the glitch in the overhead, as gone and the engine issue has shown up.

Quote:
the problem is someone came over with a bottle of bourbon...

You asked-
EVIC, what I call the overhead console
DVOM is a multimeter.

Check fuel pressure.
Does the CEL come on @2seconds every start then go out.
Scanner not connecting to PCM at the DLC (plug in) might ck cavity 16 of DLC, is there 12v?
LOL, I myself and not big on the bourbon. Case beer maybe. I will check again today as soon as I get ahold of the OBDII scanner.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-09-2021, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

So I used my dads Innova code reader and it came up with error 3 times. Wouldn't connect.

He also mentioned that when he had a 97 Cherokee Sport, he had cycled the key on 3 times and the MIL would flash indicating codes. I did a quick google and found quadratic's site with code list. However my Jeep would not flash codes. I am wondering if I have ECU issue or ignition switch issue.

Last edited by Jolly-Roger; 05-09-2021 at 05:04 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-10-2021, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

So, tonight I discovered a few things. My father's code reader is an Innova 3030. I am using a bluetooth with the torque app. The thing I discovered is if I turn the key on, the gas gauge does not go to the level in the tank like most vehicles when the key is in the on position. I have found that if I push the button on the transmission shifter, it will link something and the gas gauge goes to the level. Once I place the Jeep in neutral, give it a little gas. I can then start the Jeep and put it back in Park. Installed new clutch on the AC, added a bit more refrigerant and will be keeping an eye on it in the next few weeks. I have a video of the jeeps overdrive randomly flashing, but it will not upload. So I am not sure what is up with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in