95 ZJ 5.2 questions

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Stewpidzj
Join: 2 days ago
Colorado

2 days ago #1
Stewpid
Ok so obviously I'm new here. You can and more than likely will call me stewpid. I just bought a 95 zj 5.2 np249. Rear axle is danna 44 and I think 4:11. The previous owner swapped out the front axle with one from a 96. Not sur on engine size of it but I believe it was a 4.o. Anyway its chewed up 3 brand ne sets of sway bar bushings and sway bar link bushings. I know the control arm bushings are shot and the track bar bushing is also. Thought it had the play in it it does because of ovled out bolt hole so I just welded the bolt in for temporary but the track bar still moves quite a bit. Also the sway bar will rub the frame either side depending and the track bar hits the sway bar link bracket when turning right. I'm not sure if it could all be from bad control arm bushings? Or if there is something else I'm not seeing? Also previous owner said the driveshaft wouldn't fit after swapping axles so he cut one up and made a trail spare but I have no front driveshaft at the moment and dont know if thats tearing things up or if its ok? Plus a ton of other questions but this will do for now. Its my only vehicle so I really need to get it in better working order. Plus I wheel like an addict so there's that too. I appreciate any helpful advice and/or ideas and I'll help where I can as well. I'm a welder/fabricator and am more than confident to build as many parts as I can lacking a mill machine and lathe so don't hesitate to tell me what would alright to do or what not to do. I can be stupid but I'll try my best to keep it to a minimum.

Attached Thumbnails
20191006_155658_1570554999137.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 PM
corpseal
1994 ZJ 

I had similar problems on my 94 5.2. Switched to all polyurethane for anything involving the swaybars, and all is well. Energy Suspension is the brand I used.
Stewpidzj likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 01:48 PM
firebane
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewpidzj View Post
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Stewpidzj
Join: 2 days ago
Colorado

2 days ago #1
Stewpid
Ok so obviously I'm new here. You can and more than likely will call me stewpid. I just bought a 95 zj 5.2 np249. Rear axle is danna 44 and I think 4:11. The previous owner swapped out the front axle with one from a 96. Not sur on engine size of it but I believe it was a 4.o. Anyway its chewed up 3 brand ne sets of sway bar bushings and sway bar link bushings. I know the control arm bushings are shot and the track bar bushing is also. Thought it had the play in it it does because of ovled out bolt hole so I just welded the bolt in for temporary but the track bar still moves quite a bit. Also the sway bar will rub the frame either side depending and the track bar hits the sway bar link bracket when turning right. I'm not sure if it could all be from bad control arm bushings? Or if there is something else I'm not seeing? Also previous owner said the driveshaft wouldn't fit after swapping axles so he cut one up and made a trail spare but I have no front driveshaft at the moment and dont know if thats tearing things up or if its ok? Plus a ton of other questions but this will do for now. Its my only vehicle so I really need to get it in better working order. Plus I wheel like an addict so there's that too. I appreciate any helpful advice and/or ideas and I'll help where I can as well. I'm a welder/fabricator and am more than confident to build as many parts as I can lacking a mill machine and lathe so don't hesitate to tell me what would alright to do or what not to do. I can be stupid but I'll try my best to keep it to a minimum.
You need to be looking at control arms, control arm bushings on axle as well as track bar mounts both on axle and frame side.

Sway bar hitting frame or anything is usually a sign of an axle not centered properly.

And from your post it sounds like you got a lot of bushings and parts to replace and fix.
Stewpidzj likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 02:05 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum Stew.

This reply shows the parts I used to restore new handling to my ZJ.

The NP249 requires the front drive shaft, so a replacement is required. Chances are the internal NP249 viscous coupler is toast, so purchase a rebuilt part and swap.

Ensure the axle ratio matches on the front and rear.
Stewpidzj likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Stewpidzj

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpseal View Post
I had similar problems on my 94 5.2. Switched to all polyurethane for anything involving the swaybars, and all is well. Energy Suspension is the brand I used.
thank you! i was thinking i would do that and use a tine pin in place of the link bolt as quick disconnects... i built my own control arms using what i had around. 2x2x1/4 square tubing and bushings from some rough country leaf springs. cut the spring right at the bushings so that the spring steel was still completely around the bushing and then welded em to the tubing. just installed the 2 front lower ones today because i havent gotten the uppers completely fabricated due to lack of other bushings but just those 2 has helped a ton! i wiil make my own track bar and drag link and anything else i can asap. thought i needed to adjust my tie rods to straighten my stearing wheel but after the front lca install it was straight as can be...
post #6 of 6 Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Stewpidzj

1995 ZJ 

thank you all for your replies! they are all very much appreciated!.. i built my own control arms using what i had around. 2x2x1/4 square tubing and bushings from some rough country leaf springs. cut the spring right at the bushings so that the spring steel was still completely around the bushing and then welded em to the tubing. just installed the 2 front lower ones today because i havent gotten the uppers completely fabricated due to lack of other bushings but just those 2 has helped a ton! i wiil make my own track bar and drag link and anything else i can asap. thought i needed to adjust my tie rods to straighten my stearing wheel but after the front lca install it was straight as can be... i was thinking i would use a tine pin in place of the link bolt as quick disconnects.... i busted my phone but as soon as i get it replaced i will post some pictures.and i guess ill be looking for a different transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in