94 4.0 turns over but no fire - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

94 4.0 turns over but no fire

Folks, I have a 94, 4.0 auto that will spin over, but won't fire up. It started intermittent, got 3 more starts after the first failure. No fuel pump prime noise and no tach flicker, but pump is only one year old, banged on tank just in case.. Tried swapping relays around, no difference. At first when I checked the codes, it just kept repeating 5 over and over. Tried it several times. Left it sit for a month, battery was dead, put a fresh charged one in and still the same, spins but no fire and no fuel pump prime noise and no tach flicker. Except, it now gives code 12 and 55 like it should.
Any ideas where I should check next?

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM
gzj
1994 ZJ 

I have the same issue. It's intermittent. It's will just sit there and spin and spin and make a raw gas smell out the tail pipe. Whenever that happens, I keep my foot on the gas, crank the key, and have a person spray hotrod gel aka starting fluid into the throttle body. It will start after like 20 seconds of cranking. After that, I keep it up at like 2500 rpm and put my hand over the intake. Engine dies out, and sucks all the garbage through the venturies. Then it's fine for like another month or so.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM
kobe3006
1997 ZJ 

Ok, it could be several issues, but best thing to do is Trouble shoot your problem..

1. (Crankshaft position sensor) on top of the transmission behind the engine.
2. Bad Ground somewhere on engine,
3. . Bad Fuel Pump, unplug your fuel line on top of your engine the one going into the fuel injector line... turn the key and see if your getting gas to the front of the engine. Does gas shoot out of it?
4. Bad Connection on crankshaft position sensor to the connector going toward the coil... Unplug it plug it in see if it start...

post #4 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM
kobe3006
1997 ZJ 

My bet is crankshaft position sensor
post #5 of 16 Old 01-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Make sure your negative battery cable is in real good shape along with your new used battery. The PCM grounds on the negative battery terminal on the 93-95 unlike on the engine block on the 96-98 4.0's. A bad PCM ground, battery, or neg cable may have been why you were getting repeat "5's" on the key trick test even though it may be working correctly now.

There's lots of real good troubleshooting info in the dirty dozen thread in my signature.

Here's a thread which is specific to the 94 4.0 fuel pump not priming along with no spark although different than yours in the CEL is on all the time.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9.../#post26120930

The OP never did come back to post if he solved his problem. If nothing else some good tests and wiring diagrams in the above thread.

A lot of info but there can be many different causes for your problems. Good luck.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info and links, my first suspect is the ground circuit for sure. I live in the rust belt big time. Will do some poking around with my meter in the next few days and will post back.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-17-2016, 07:41 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

You mentioned swapping relays around, just caught that. I was gonna suggest swap ASD for A/C relay, but that's done.

If you happen to see an issue present on the pump ground and want access to clean it, the pump ground is conveniently located under the driver seat. I just cleaned mine for preventative measures, because I had my carpet out for cleaning. The ground is one of those type that the screw down right on top of the paint/primer and it has sharp edges that dig into the metal in four places.

If it's not a ground issue somewhere then yeah, CPS or ECU

Would like to know what you find out once you fixed it.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #8 of 16 Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

Edit: disregard this post. The OP in the following linked thread stated his engine would start and then immediately die. That's not your symptoms.

Does yours have a security system? If so, here's something else to consider. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/newre...ply&p=33623586 Similar symptoms to yours in that the battery died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucySUP View Post
Hi,
the Battery and connectors where replaced when the CPS was put in.

I got it to run. Not sure how but I believe it was security.
I did the Battery disconnect and back on, keys in every doors, but in another PCM and then the old one again, grounded the Purple Yellow Wire and took out and cleaned out and put back in all the fuses.
Since there was no flashing lights or horn or idiot lights, it is was hard to tell when exactly the security came off.

I also got the gauges and power windows to work. I read somewhere that a bad passenger driver seat can short out that circuit. I cleaned and replaced the J fuse and just slightly adjusted the passenger seat and bang, gages and windows were back on.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #9 of 16 Old 01-26-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Follow-up and question. Finally got time to get after it and the power plug at the pump seemed to have issues. I wiggled it and got one start, then unplugged it a couple times and have gotten multiple starts. Going to fill it with dielectric grease tomorrow.
Now for the question, will an alternator from a 2000 Cherokee 4.0 fit on it? It is a 94 4.0.
Ya it runs, but the alternator is seized rock solid. Even rounded off the nut using a six point socket trying to turn it. Jeeps.... Not one thing, its another... Already emptied every pocket, got 4 of em, Jeeps that is and the only thing running is my skidoo on our 1 km long driveway. Lol.

Mike
post #10 of 16 Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Follow-up and question. Finally got time to get after it and the power plug at the pump seemed to have issues. I wiggled it and got one start, then unplugged it a couple times and have gotten multiple starts. Going to fill it with dielectric grease tomorrow.
Now for the question, will an alternator from a 2000 Cherokee 4.0 fit on it? It is a 94 4.0.
Ya it runs, but the alternator is seized rock solid. Even rounded off the nut using a six point socket trying to turn it. Jeeps.... Not one thing, its another... Already emptied every pocket, got 4 of em, Jeeps that is and the only thing running is my skidoo on our 1 km long driveway. Lol.
If the alternator siezed just from sitting around you can free it up by pouring pb blaster into it and then after it has set for a while use an impact wrench on a lower setting and keep switching it back and forth oon the pully nut. Ive done it with good results sometimes.

As far as if a 2000 model alternator will fit I am not sure. If they use the same housing it should bolt right on. You may have to change the electrical plugs to get it to work.I have adapted them before but its been a while.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-26-2016, 08:54 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The WJ alts have different connectors. Chrysler changed to a two pin plug in 99.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The WJ alts have different connectors. Chrysler changed to a two pin plug in 99.
Can they be adapted? I am pretty good with wiring.

Mike
post #13 of 16 Old 01-27-2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by belalerede View Post

If the alternator siezed just from sitting around you can free it up by pouring pb blaster into it and then after it has set for a while use an impact wrench on a lower setting and keep switching it back and forth oon the pully nut. Ive done it with good results sometimes.

As far as if a 2000 model alternator will fit I am not sure. If they use the same housing it should bolt right on. You may have to change the electrical plugs to get it to work.I have adapted them before but its been a while.
Thanks, it was doing the occasional scream and smoke before it died and sat so I figure it was giving up then. Could even be the original. I have it soaking, we will see.

Mike
post #14 of 16 Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

So went brand new for the alternator. $205.00 Canadian with a lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that.
Thanks all.

Mike
post #15 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 07:32 PM
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
So went brand new for the alternator. $205.00 Canadian with a lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that.
Thanks all.
if your gonna keep it. might as well not have to ever buy another

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in