93 jeep grand cherokee(4.0) radiator needs to be replaced - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Mustang

93 jeep grand cherokee(4.0) radiator needs to be replaced

I was wondering if any one had any good advice or any good links on how to replace this radiator

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM
lawdogg
2002 WJ 

I took mine to a shop to do it, but the repair manual give you good directions.

2002 WJ 4.0 - Blue Jeep Club #255 (totalled by drunk driver)
1994 3000GT VR-4 (11.8 @ 116, 17psi, pump gas & street tires)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
sandman

1993 ZJ 

i did mine on my xj and if i remember right all i did was disconect the hoses, un bolt the top support and it slid right out it was easy.

1993 Jeep ZJ. 4.0

post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's very straight forward. Obviously you want to wait until the vehicle has cooled off.

Disconnect the hoses, remove fan (if attached to radiator). Remove the top radiator bracket and the whole thing will slide out. IF you have the radiator that has the transmission cooler as part of it, you'll have to disconnect those lines also (obviously).

A radiator shop can clean or repair it, but a new one will not be much more. I purchased a new one for $159. Don't order from a dealer $$$$$.

If it had been running hot, now might be a time to consider new thermostat also. ALSO, If you have the time, you could pull the water pump and flush with water to remove any residual debris in the system... Just a thought...

[B]2008 Jeep Wrangler X

[B]1997 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0L/AW4
post #5 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Mustang

Thanks for the help
I got the old one out last night and am planing on puting the new one in today. Best way to go for me was to remove the small front skid plate it opened every thing up and made getting those bottom hoses(Transmission/Coolant) off easy and draining the old coolant. The only problem was with the fan cover(Belt driven fan) was a pain because it would get in the way and it would not come out until the radiator was out. It goes all the way around the radiator. I was thinking about possibly removing the bottom part of this cover and just keeping thetop part that keeps your hand from hitting the blades. to make things easier. any ideas? or do you think i should keep the whole thing intact
post #6 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Keep the shroud intact. Protects the lower fins from debris bouncing up, as well as directing air where it's supposed to go. You can hold it back easy enough when you're pulling the radiator.

Or you can do an e-fan swap. A bit more challenging due to the 4.0 length, but doable.

Jim Karlin
"How the heck do you get there?"
"Duh! Big RED Jeep!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best customer service in the states:

or

96 ZJ Laredo
5" lift, Claytons, KOR radiator support, rear bumper, steering brace, etc, etc, etc.

04 WJ Overland
Clean.... :D
post #7 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM
kdavis

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The bottom part of the shroud is a huge pain in the butt. I ended up cutting a slit in mine on one corner, just so it was easier to get in and out...did this a long time ago, saved a bunch of trouble on future projects. just allows you to open it up to get it passed the fan and get it out. Not recommending it for everyone, but sure worked well for me. I still get the shroud protection, but not the pain.

<>< KD ><>
2004 TJ Wrangler Rubicon (Sugar High)

post #8 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM
lawdogg
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis
The bottom part of the shroud is a huge pain in the butt. I ended up cutting a slit in mine on one corner, just so it was easier to get in and out...did this a long time ago, saved a bunch of trouble on future projects. just allows you to open it up to get it passed the fan and get it out. Not recommending it for everyone, but sure worked well for me. I still get the shroud protection, but not the pain.
That's the piece I couldn't get off. Which ultimately led me to take it to the shop.

2002 WJ 4.0 - Blue Jeep Club #255 (totalled by drunk driver)
1994 3000GT VR-4 (11.8 @ 116, 17psi, pump gas & street tires)
post #9 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 PM
kdavis

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg
That's the piece I couldn't get off. Which ultimately led me to take it to the shop.
Shop? What shop? Someone please hand me my sawzall! Nice thing about my ZJ being my 2nd vehicle with 185k miles. It was part of fixing a water pump leak, which was a pain overall anyway, so cutting the shroud was just a small part of the bigger process.

Every time I work on the engine on the ZJ, I long for the days when I could literally crawl into my compartment of my 67 Chevelle and sit in there to work...

<>< KD ><>
2004 TJ Wrangler Rubicon (Sugar High)

post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 12:56 PM
emmo
1997 ZJ 

Yep. Heres another guy that has, more than once, cut the shroud to facilitate removal. It does the same job when reinstalled and taped. I think I took some small screws and fitted a neat plastic patch across the cut to repair it. But if you clean it well, quality tape will suffice.
If any part of the shroud, or the foam strips around the radiator , are missing at the end of the job, you will probably risk overheating.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 PM
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

Don't forget to check the fan clutch. They DO wear out and they DO cause overheating (at idle).

Proud owner of two DD 4.0 ZJs
Flame Red 94 mint!
Silver 98 just hit 320k miles....runs great!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2015, 12:41 PM
merlot2twisty
1997 ZJ 

Getting the lower hose boss past the steering gearbox can be a challenge, but if you work patiently and angle and pull, you can get it past there.

We're going off-grid and moving to Texas! --
Check out our YouTube Channel! http://youtube.com/user/theratracelosers/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in