5.9L fan switch: aftermarket solution inside this thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 85 Old 09-19-2019, 06:11 PM
IKillGrizz

1993 ZJ 

To everyone who’s read through this thread who’s suffering from issues with their 5.9 e-fan. This guy RWC and this write up of his are the best help you can get on jeepforums and the rest of the internet for that matter regarding e-fans.
I’m running the Rodney Dickman switches and everything else needed/recommended for replacing OEM, including the Stinger T.
I don’t want to blow his inbox up but a few PMs to and from each other and Mr.RWC had me past all the issues I was running into and now my cooling system is ready to rock.
Greatly appreciate his help and the effort he’s put into this thread and my questions!

Cheers to you RWC! 🍻

RWC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 85 Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 PM
IKillGrizz

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKillGrizz View Post

Cheers to you RWC! 🍻
Also, thank you St.Paul for answering some of my questions as well! Both you and RWC helped me get over a few obstacles, couldn’t have done it without your guys insight!
RWC likes this.
post #78 of 85 Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Also, thank you St.Paul for answering some of my questions as well! Both you and RWC helped me get over a few obstacles, couldnít have done it without your guys insight!
Great news! Glad to help. What on earth was the issue with your fan?

post #79 of 85 Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 AM
IKillGrizz

1993 ZJ 

After pretty much tearing the entire system apart, including ripping out the female connectors for the relays because the terminals were so rusted, I realized the DG/RD wires off the relays that meets up into one was punctured and sitting at a weird angle by the PDC. Snipped it on, spliced a wire in. Ready to rock.
Very annoying but I’m just glad my fan kicks on when I do the paperclip test.
I do have one last question tho: my low speed kicked on when my OBD said ETC was 185f any chance it’s cuz the thermostat is too low or is it possible that Rodney D sent me the wrong switch?
post #80 of 85 Old 09-20-2019, 03:40 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
After pretty much tearing the entire system apart, including ripping out the female connectors for the relays because the terminals were so rusted, I realized the DG/RD wires off the relays that meets up into one was punctured and sitting at a weird angle by the PDC. Snipped it on, spliced a wire in. Ready to rock.
Very annoying but I’m just glad my fan kicks on when I do the paperclip test.
I do have one last question tho: my low speed kicked on when my OBD said ETC was 185f any chance it’s cuz the thermostat is too low or is it possible that Rodney D sent me the wrong switch?
What temp thermostat are you running? His other sensor is supposed to kick on at 195. Could be a combination of a wrong sensor and a temp sensor that's a little off. The temp sensor can be off 10 degrees give or take. That's a Mopar only part if you want accuracy.
post #81 of 85 Old 09-20-2019, 09:08 PM
IKillGrizz

1993 ZJ 

I’m assuming the thermostat is a 180 since the switch kicked on at 185. Right? I’d prefer to run 195 since it’s OEM and I live in the PNW where it doesn’t get TOO hot or TOO cold.
New temp sensor you say? I’ll look into it.
post #82 of 85 Old 09-21-2019, 12:00 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I’m assuming the thermostat is a 180 since the switch kicked on at 185. Right? I’d prefer to run 195 since it’s OEM and I live in the PNW where it doesn’t get TOO hot or TOO cold.
New temp sensor you say? I’ll look into it.
In my opinion the 180 would be way too cold for where you live. I would assume you had a 180 in there otherwise the fan would never shut off. Does the switch have any numbers printed on the side of it? If they sent you out the wrong one they might just send you a new one for free, I've heard their customer service is pretty decent. You could grab a temp sensor at a pick and pull for cheap and switch it out and see if there's any difference, that would be the more affordable way to troubleshoot.
post #83 of 85 Old 09-21-2019, 01:14 PM
IKillGrizz

1993 ZJ 

Cool! Yah I’ll run out to the local PnP on my next day off and then go grab a 195 thermostat from any auto parts store then get back to yah! I’m used to working on a 1993 4.0 zj and the thermostat sat somewhere behind the water pump I think... I’ve heard the thermostat in this beast sits in the upper rad hose?
post #84 of 85 Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Cool! Yah Iíll run out to the local PnP on my next day off and then go grab a 195 thermostat from any auto parts store then get back to yah! Iím used to working on a 1993 4.0 zj and the thermostat sat somewhere behind the water pump I think... Iíve heard the thermostat in this beast sits in the upper rad hose?

Yep. Its held in with a tall metal housing with 2 bolts. You'll need a new gasket. Get a sensor from any 5.2 or 5.9 pickup van jeep, whatever, make sure its 96 or newer. The 95 and older have 2 sensors I believe. You'll need a deep socket, not sure what size though.Slightly difficult to get your hand down there to unplug.
post #85 of 85 Old 09-23-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
RWC

Rodney Dickman told me that he had these made in China; he had an earlier batch that the supplier screwed up on, and he had been selling those at a discount since they weren’t as accurate. He was afraid that maybe mine came from the wrong bin, and he sent me a second one at no cost. The second one had a better temperature range.

Either way, you need to make sure you’re getting an accurate temp reading on your gauge/scanner tool, and the Rodney Dickman switch should be tripping the fan “on” in the 210-212ish range.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in