5.9 Speaker replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM
BennettZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhnd View Post
You also don't have to worry about whether your replacement speakers are 2 ohm or 4 ohm, either will work fine. Both the HU and the factory amp will power 4 ohm speakers without a problem. You might lose a little bit of volume, but other than that you'll be good to go.

not true if the aftermarket head unit internal amp is desgined to handle only 4 ohms an you put two ohms speaker to it you will blow the aftermarket headunits intenal amp an you will be replacing the head units.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilled1 View Post
i replaced all my speakers with Hertz brand speakers, great little hand made italian speakers. Running them all off the factory amp with and additional 2 12 inch audiobahn subs and seperate amp for those obviously. has been that way for well over a year and they rock HARD!!!! no worries mate you can pretty much use whatever u wish, pioneer, kicker, jl audio, all the major brands should work fine. and do use the factory amp the aftermarket headunit isint set up to push that many speakers and the factory amp is set to run all 10 channels, just my 2 cents. good luck
Wow these speakers are expensive, atleast 500 dollars for a pair. That's out of my pricerange.

Ever heard of Greenland? It's a "small" island between North America and Europe.

http://tiny.cc/0pb5v
post #18 of 27 Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM
TantricCurse
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilled1
i replaced all my speakers with Hertz brand speakers, great little hand made italian speakers. Running them all off the factory amp with and additional 2 12 inch audiobahn subs and seperate amp for those obviously. has been that way for well over a year and they rock HARD!!!! no worries mate you can pretty much use whatever u wish, pioneer, kicker, jl audio, all the major brands should work fine. and do use the factory amp the aftermarket headunit isint set up to push that many speakers and the factory amp is set to run all 10 channels, just my 2 cents. good luck
Amazing quality speakers that's what I just recently put in my 5.9 I have 3-way components up front components in back Doors and in the back pods running off a hiphonics ZRX1000.4 and two dc audio lvl 3 15s on a hiphonics ZRX3000.1d

post #19 of 27 Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

I'm running an aftermarket Kenwood HU with the stock 2 ohm Infinity speakers and haven't had the least bit of problem and don't expect to have any problems in the future. Of course, I'm getting ready to replace both the stock speakers and amp in the next few weeks so I suppose it won't matter. Point is, the OP can run an aftermarket HU with the stock speakers or other 2 Ohm speakers without damaging his HU. There are a ton of threads here and online about the subject.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhnd View Post
I'm running an aftermarket Kenwood HU with the stock 2 ohm Infinity speakers and haven't had the least bit of problem and don't expect to have any problems in the future. Of course, I'm getting ready to replace both the stock speakers and amp in the next few weeks so I suppose it won't matter. Point is, the OP can run an aftermarket HU with the stock speakers or other 2 Ohm speakers without damaging his HU. There are a ton of threads here and online about the subject.
Alright, my goal now is to figure out what type of speakers are the best replacements for the stock speakers. I'm not strong on what the difference is between the different type of speakers, 2-way, 3-way, coaxial. I'm just looking for something where i can take the old speakers out and just pop some new in and not worry about compatibility or blowing the stock amp.

Ever heard of Greenland? It's a "small" island between North America and Europe.

post #21 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettZJ

not true if the aftermarket head unit internal amp is desgined to handle only 4 ohms an you put two ohms speaker to it you will blow the aftermarket headunits intenal amp an you will be replacing the head units.
Hmm just dug up the specs for my head unit:
Says Load Impedance is 4 ohm. What effect does that have with my current setup? Head unit is connected directly to the stock amp via the factory speaker harness.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2246552631.jpg  

post #22 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Virmagicus
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

First individually test all of your speakers to see if they are indeed bad. I have a hard time believing that 9 out of ten are bad. It is possible that the amp is not functioning properly and this is the reason for no output from the speakers.

Are you planning on using the factory amp along with the head units amp section? Head unit doors and amp soundbar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbo View Post
I'm not strong on what the difference is between the different type of speakers, 2-way, 3-way, coaxial.

Coaxial

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
First individually test all of your speakers to see if they are indeed bad. I have a hard time believing that 9 out of ten are bad. It is possible that the amp is not functioning properly and this is the reason for no output from the speakers.

Are you planning on using the factory amp along with the head units amp section? Head unit doors and amp soundbar?
Plan was to use only the factory amp and replace the speakers.
And how do i test the speakers individually? Remove the panels and use a battery?

post #24 of 27 Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

Your HU and factory amp will play fine together. Yes you can use a small battery to test the speakers. You might be able to use the outputs from the amp to test, that way you don't have to yank the door panels off until you find out. There are some diagrams around this site that have how the amp connectors are wired, what pin goes to what.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Found these on ebay:

Speakers for the doors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200762098515...84.m1423.l2649
Speakers for the soundbar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-REF...item2a14416d0c

Does anyone have experience with these speakers? If not, wouldn't they work as the most direct replacement for the whole system?

post #26 of 27 Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 AM
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

If you ever decide to remove your old amp, I'll take a pic of my wire setup s you can splice the wires together easily.. Was a PITA doing it myself until i figured it out.
post #27 of 27 Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbo View Post
Found these on ebay:

Speakers for the doors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200762098515...84.m1423.l2649
Speakers for the soundbar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-REF...item2a14416d0c

Does anyone have experience with these speakers? If not, wouldn't they work as the most direct replacement for the whole system?
ttt

Tags
audio components

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in