5.9 Speaker replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

5.9 Speaker replacement

So i recently installed an aftermarket JVC head unit, but kept everything else stock. Hooked the aftermarket unit up to the stock harness going to the stock amp. I knew that one or two of the speakers had blown, but didn't notice untill i installed the new headunit that 9 out of the 10 speakers were actually blown. So now i'm looking into replacing all the speakers, but with something thats near factory power, so i can still use the stock amp.
I know the front and rear doors use 6.75" speakers and that 6.5" can be used as well and that they are 2 ohm. And the speakers in the rear speaker pod are 5.25". Now my question is, what size can i use in the tweeters for the front dash and the rear pod?
Also, i'm not a big a/v guy, so i'm not too sure what kind of speakers to look for, in terms of 1-way, 2-way. crossovers, co-axial. Don't even know the difference between them.
Any sugestions?

Ever heard of Greenland? It's a "small" island between North America and Europe.

http://tiny.cc/0pb5v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
nicyousuckk
1998 ZJ 

im guessing you've got the infinity package?
post #3 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM
smokeyeager

1998 ZJ 

Garage
I suggest www.crutchfield.com Put in your Jeep specs and it will give you a list of what works, plus lots of info on installation. Your speakers might not be blown. I'm not sure how the Infinity system is setup but most systems with amps run low level from the stereo to the amp and the amp powers the speakers. If you ran the speaker wires straight from the aftermarket stereo to the amp you might be running high power into low level lines.

93 ZJ Laredo AW4 249 D30/D35 Project ZJ
98 ZJ Laredo 42RE 242 D30/D44 DD

post #4 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicyousuckk
im guessing you've got the infinity package?
Yes it's the 10 speaker 180w Infinity package with the extra rear speaker pod.

Ever heard of Greenland? It's a "small" island between North America and Europe.

post #5 of 27 Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyeager
I suggest www.crutchfield.com Put in your Jeep specs and it will give you a list of what works, plus lots of info on installation. Your speakers might not be blown. I'm not sure how the Infinity system is setup but most systems with amps run low level from the stereo to the amp and the amp powers the speakers. If you ran the speaker wires straight from the aftermarket stereo to the amp you might be running high power into low level lines.
Well Crutchfield doesn't have the 5.9 with the special 10 speaker infinity package listed in their system. The closest is the limited package with 4 door speakers and 2 tweeters in the front dash.
And I do have the aftermarket head unit hooked up straight to the factory head unit harness with the speaker wires and not using the line out connection from the aftermarket head unit. But the aftermarket head unit is set up to fed the amp with low power.

post #6 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 AM
starionesir
1998 ZJ 

You would be better off bypassing the factory amp and run the new speakers of the headunit amp. Then you can install 4 ohm speakers instead of the 2 ohm ones and you will have many more speakers to choose from. If you search around you can find the wiring diagram that shows how to bypass the amp. It is very easy but just do it one speaker out a time so that way you don't get the wires crossed.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starionesir
You would be better off bypassing the factory amp and run the new speakers of the headunit amp. Then you can install 4 ohm speakers instead of the 2 ohm ones and you will have many more speakers to choose from. If you search around you can find the wiring diagram that shows how to bypass the amp. It is very easy but just do it one speaker out a time so that way you don't get the wires crossed.
The aftermarket head unit I got is listed here with full details:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAV...es#details-tab
With this head unit, is it still the recommendable to bypass the factory amp and run 10 speakers off of the head units internal amp?

post #8 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
starionesir
1998 ZJ 

If you want to get the most out of the speakers I would recommend getting a 4 channel amp and running maybe the rear sound bar and the dash speakers with the head unit and the door speakers with the 4 channel amp. They are bigger speakers and would benefit most from the additional power. Currently I'm running the dash and door speakers from my head unit since I have the headliner out to redo it so the sound bar is out as well.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
fiesta4557
1998 ZJ 

I did the door speakers last Friday in my 5.9. 3 were blown. Tweeters in the dash and sound bar speakers were good. I am using the stock head unit and amp. I used Infinity 62.9i's (2 ohm) for all four doors. Some drilling required but windows go down without interference, etc. Bass is actually too much and I have the equalizer at 1/2 so yes, I think they sound pretty good. I got the speakers from Amazon.com. Wiring + and - can be gotten by a search here. Good luck!
post #10 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Rear door speakers don't really do anything. Just leave them out. Front and sound bar are all you need.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

You also don't have to worry about whether your replacement speakers are 2 ohm or 4 ohm, either will work fine. Both the HU and the factory amp will power 4 ohm speakers without a problem. You might lose a little bit of volume, but other than that you'll be good to go.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta4557 View Post
I did the door speakers last Friday in my 5.9. 3 were blown. Tweeters in the dash and sound bar speakers were good. I am using the stock head unit and amp. I used Infinity 62.9i's (2 ohm) for all four doors. Some drilling required but windows go down without interference, etc. Bass is actually too much and I have the equalizer at 1/2 so yes, I think they sound pretty good. I got the speakers from Amazon.com. Wiring + and - can be gotten by a search here. Good luck!
Tried searching on Amazon for these speakers, but could only find them with 4 ohm. Do you have a link for them?

post #13 of 27 Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

I'm leaning more towards just replacing the speakers to near factory specs at this point, leaving the setup as it is right now. I just need to find decent speakers and tweeters that will fit. Any suggestions on the tweeters? And what range of watts should be looking for?

post #14 of 27 Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Nimbo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbo View Post
Tried searching on Amazon for these speakers, but could only find them with 4 ohm. Do you have a link for them?
Anyone with suggestions to speakers that are practically plug and play with my system?

post #15 of 27 Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM
skilled1
1998 ZJ 

i replaced all my speakers with Hertz brand speakers, great little hand made italian speakers. Running them all off the factory amp with and additional 2 12 inch audiobahn subs and seperate amp for those obviously. has been that way for well over a year and they rock HARD!!!! no worries mate you can pretty much use whatever u wish, pioneer, kicker, jl audio, all the major brands should work fine. and do use the factory amp the aftermarket headunit isint set up to push that many speakers and the factory amp is set to run all 10 channels, just my 2 cents. good luck

Tags
audio components

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in