5.9 Limited ATC--Low Speed Fan Setting Same As High Speed? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

5.9 Limited ATC--Low Speed Fan Setting Same As High Speed?

Hey guys, I just fixed my A/C in time for summer, but notice the ATC Low Speed Fan setting appears to be the same as the High Speed Fan setting.

Something I should look for to fix or is this normal ZJ behavior?

Thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Do you mean auto lo and auto hi? They may run at about the same fan blower speed in certain occasions, deending on cabin and outside temperature.
If you're in manual mode, blower should run from almost non-existing to blowing hard.

Edit: make sure the "sniffer tube" isn't kinked or clogged. It's the one behind the center console on the right hand side, where there is a little grill slightly above VIC. It sniffs the inside temperature, and if kinked or clogged it can cause weird things in auto lo or hi modes - and also for the temp control in manual mode.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 01:23 PM
jeepjeepster

I've found that the sniffer grill is at just the correct height for your knee to cover it up...

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

Yes, auto low and auto high fan speed appear to behave the same, manual mode works fine.
I'm not familiar with this sniffer tube thing.
The reason I ask is auto high fan is pretty loud and low is just the same. I've never been a fan of ATC but for A/C it seems to make more sense in this mode due to rapidly changing cabin temps when parked outside in the hot sun.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Set the temp to where you want it to be, manually select where you want the air to blow (on hot days I prefer feet/ console outlets), select fan speed somewhere in the midrange. ATC varies the air temp blown from the ducts, so you should get to and then stay at your aimed cabin temp.
I've tried the full auto a few times, but it was just as bad a design in 1998 as it is in the vehicles today. I always use manual mode even on new vehicles with ATC.
VW/ Audi ATC seem to be the worst, they automatically change the blower fan speed even in manual mode

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Timo!

Yeah, I guess ATC is not for me. In the cold winters here I set the temp control to high heat and leave it there, then adjust the manual blower as needed, usually full high fan til defrost than back off accordingly to low.

Sounds like I need to do the same for A/C in manual mode, but it seems to either be too cold, too much fan, or not cool enough according to my female passengers; I have four daughters by the way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in