5.9 Limited 100k Maintenance Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PolkaPower

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

5.9 Limited 100k Maintenance Suggestions?

So, the Jeep is just about to hit 100k miles. I've been thinking about whether I need to start further preventative maintenance than just the recommended, due to being 24 years old.

Or should I just stick with the "if it ain't broke" philosophy?

What do you guys think?

I've been trying to stock up on parts that might become hard to get too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 04:56 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
So, the Jeep is just about to hit 100k miles. I've been thinking about whether I need to start further preventative maintenance than just the recommended, due to being 24 years old.

Or should I just stick with the "if it ain't broke" philosophy?

What do you guys think?

I've been trying to stock up on parts that might become hard to get too.

What have you already done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

Well, it's had new spark plugs and cap and rotor, Pcv valves, air filter, water pump and thermostat in the past 35,000 miles.

I got a bit of death wobble last spring and decided to replace all the tires, shocks, control arms, sway bar bushings, and steering stabilizer. I think it was the tires that caused the DW.

I drained and refilled the axles and transfer case and tightened up all the oil pan and transmission bolts.

New serpentine belt.

Not much else that I can think of.

Brake pedal is really firm on stops, I feel like a bleed with fresh fluid would help.

Parking brake is inop.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

It's also got that low speed growling rumbling sound coming from the rear axle or bearings. Hasn't changed in 5 years.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 07:27 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.9 Limited 100k Maintenance Suggestions?

Quote:
It's also got that low speed growling rumbling sound coming from the rear axle or bearings. Hasn't changed in 5 years.

The rear grumbling are the carrier bearings. It happens frequently to the 44a.
The factory Trac look is probably getting close to needing a rebuild if not already. Plus you've got all that metal from the carrier bearings shaving off in there.
I'd do the plenum gasket repair from Hughes engines to stop any oil leaking into the intake.
The viscous coupler in the 249 case will probably start to go. Mine was pretty fried by 127k. You want to get ahead of that because it will cause other parts to break and wear your front tires out.
Engine and transmission mounts.
The 46re typically has the reverse/overdrive snap ring fail sooner or later.
I'd out a auxiliary transmission cooler on if you want your transmission to last as long as possible. As big as you can fit. Chrysler did put them on 98s.
Alternator might start to fail soon. You'll notice it when the efan kicks on. A good generator shop can rebuild it.
When the efan temp switches fail you'll have to source replacements. Originals are out of production.
Or you can bypass the factory set up and run a fan controller.
100% add an oil catch can on the pvc return line going back to the intake. Blowby gets worse with age.
The digital climate controls sometimes go out because of poor soldering.
I'd probably but some ac actuators since those go bad with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RD26 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-14-2021, 08:03 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Brake pedal is really firm on stops, I feel like a bleed with fresh fluid would help.
Firm pedal means there is zero air in the system, which is a good thing. If it is too firm, you have a brake booster problem.

If you don't now when the brake fluid was replaced, suck out most of the old dirty fluid from the reservoir, then refill with fresh fluid, do a brake bleed one caliper at a time (rear right, rear left, front right, front left) until fresh fluid comes out.

Quote:
Parking brake is inop.
It is fairly common, most likely bad brake shoes and/ or adjusters and other small parts. It is also fairly common for the cam/ lever setup to seize, wire wheeling the rust off + thorough lubrication is the cure.

Other than that, PolkaPower covered the usual stuff.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2021, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
mkm5
1998 ZJ 

Great information, thanks guys!

I'll start sourcing the parts mentioned and get a plan going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in