5.2 engine cooling - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The alternator that came with the factory equipped efan is 150amp to handle the extra load. Normally they are 136 for 96-98 and were 90amp 93-95.
If the alternator is getting weak it will drain the battery as it starts to fail.
On my 5.9 I could see on the battery charge guage that it was low when the alternator started to quit and the efan kicked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the alternator in mine is a 150amps, according to the build sheet, and yes i also see the drop, but mainly when i roll up the windows, when they reach all the way up and i keep the button pressed, the whole dashlights and interior lights gets dimmed.

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassZJ1998 View Post
the alternator in mine is a 150amps, according to the build sheet, and yes i also see the drop, but mainly when i roll up the windows, when they reach all the way up and i keep the button pressed, the whole dashlights and interior lights gets dimmed.

Sounds like the charging system is not working properly.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #48 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

*******[/PHP]
Quote:
Sounds like the charging system is not working properly.

yea guess so, my guess is cuz of the Jeep's age and all that, also was parked for long periods, one time almost a year another time around 6 months, i feel there is something not right with the charging system.

the problem is, there are less workshops who are willing to check it, i am mainly relying in you guys here in this forum for solutions and thankfully i am getting some progress.

thank you.

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.

post #49 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 02:45 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.2 engine cooling

Quote:
*******[/PHP]

yea guess so, my guess is cuz of the Jeep's age and all that, also was parked for long periods, one time almost a year another time around 6 months, i feel there is something not right with the charging system.

the problem is, there are less workshops who are willing to check it, i am mainly relying in you guys here in this forum for solutions and thankfully i am getting some progress.

thank you.

My 5.9 alternator started to fail at around 209214.72 kilometres or 130 thousand miles.
I took the alternator to a repair shop and traded it for a rebuilt one.
I could tell when the fan kicked on high that everything was getting very weak.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #50 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 12:11 PM
sldoaktree

Garage
I did add a trans cooler and moved the factory one to the other side for powersteering.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3457.jpg  
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #51 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 05:20 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.2 engine cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldoaktree View Post
I did add a trans cooler and moved the factory one to the other side for powersteering.

You'll want to move those down as far as you can. I have the same set up and it blocked enough airflow to cause higher temperatures. I moved them down and cut out some sheet metal to create more surface area for the radiator and it helped quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkimg_20190822_112713-copy.jpg
post #52 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 06:34 PM
sldoaktree

Garage
Quote:
cut out some sheet metal.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAttachment 3991123
lol you mean left some sheetmetal... I'm thinking i might try with out an external cooler as I dont tow anything ... but I am runnin 31"s...
post #53 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 06:36 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.2 engine cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldoaktree View Post
lol you mean left some sheetmetal... I'm thinking i might try with out an external cooler as I dont tow anything ... but I am runnin 31"s...

That will definitely increase transmission heat. The radiator cooler isn't enough to cool the transmission properly. Even just daily driving.

post #54 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
You'll want to move those down as far as you can. I have the same set up and it blocked enough airflow to cause higher temperatures. I moved them down and cut out some sheet metal to create more surface area for the radiator and it helped quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAttachment 3991123
so this small fan is for cooling the trans only ? and how is the air flow with these 2 coolers ahead of the radiator ?

thank you.

post #55 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 01:34 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
so this small fan is for cooling the trans only ? and how is the air flow with these 2 coolers ahead of the radiator ?

thank you.

I was test fitting the fan incase I needed it but I never did.
The coolers will block flow to the top of the radiator which will cause cooling problems in hot weather. That's why I moved them down as much as I could and that solved the problem.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #56 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I was test fitting the fan incase I needed it but I never did.
The coolers will block flow to the top of the radiator which will cause cooling problems in hot weather. That's why I moved them down as much as I could and that solved the problem.

alright, good to know, thank you for the photos and the explanation.

does the steering require an upgraded cooler ?

also, i am replacing the trans cooler with another one which will run at the bottom alongside the radiator, since the one fitted now is square shape and covering almost 1/3rd of the radiator surface.

thank you

post #57 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 02:22 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
alright, good to know, thank you for the photos and the explanation.

does the steering require an upgraded cooler ?

also, i am replacing the trans cooler with another one which will run at the bottom alongside the radiator, since the one fitted now is square shape and covering almost 1/3rd of the radiator surface.

thank you

There is no steering cooler from the factory. I added one because of my oversized tires.
Make sure the new cooler is rated as good as the current one or close. From what I understand the horizontal finned coolers are not as good.

post #58 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
There is no steering cooler from the factory. I added one because of my oversized tires.
Make sure the new cooler is rated as good as the current one or close. From what I understand the horizontal finned coolers are not as good.

well, in my ZJ, there is a steering cooler (also on my WJ and my KJ) guess it is the extras fitted for the middle east region !!

the trans cooler is actually fitted as an upgrade, that was back in 2007 when i had the trans rebuilt, i tried the paper test the other day and the fan albeit spinning slowly yet it sucked the paper glued on the grill.

sometimes i think there is nothing that bad with its cooling and it's just me being me, over-thinked over-worried and always better-safe-than-sorry !!

i will keep in mind the horizontal cooler thing in mind, thank you.

post #59 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 03:08 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
well, in my ZJ, there is a steering cooler (also on my WJ and my KJ) guess it is the extras fitted for the middle east region !!

the trans cooler is actually fitted as an upgrade, that was back in 2007 when i had the trans rebuilt, i tried the paper test the other day and the fan albeit spinning slowly yet it sucked the paper glued on the grill.

sometimes i think there is nothing that bad with its cooling and it's just me being me, over-thinked over-worried and always better-safe-than-sorry !!

i will keep in mind the horizontal cooler thing in mind, thank you.

Depending on how old the fan motor is, it's possible that it's not operating at 100%. I replaced the original motor on my 5.9 fan with a new one and it was a noticeable difference.
If your fan motor is original it might be worth it to replace it.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #60 of 72 Old 06-06-2021, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Depending on how old the fan motor is, it's possible that it's not operating at 100%. I replaced the original motor on my 5.9 fan with a new one and it was a noticeable difference.
If your fan motor is original it might be worth it to replace it.

yes it is the original, btw i marked one of the fan with white spray so i can see how fast it's going, yea it looks slow.

question, is it possible that the fan runs only on one speed ? or it is the relay that needs to be checked ? you know these 2 black relays under the edge of the right (passenger) side fender !! and if so how to check the relays ?

appreciate your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in