34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 72 Old 06-02-2021, 09:51 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.2 engine cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Question for polka, how does the controller know when to shut the fan motor off? It doesn't appear to be wired into an on-off switch or am I missing something? I'm guessing maybe that cool down to the radiator happens Within several seconds and it shuts off anyway..

There is a dedicated wire for an on off switch for water crossing but for every day use fan speed is controlled by the temp probe so it not going to turn on until it's needed and then it just spins at whatever speed is necessary.
You can adjust at what temperature you wish the fan to engage too. I just left it stock since I'm running a stock tstat.
It basically works the same way the factory fan on my srt8 works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 Old 06-02-2021, 05:45 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
There is a dedicated wire for an on off switch for water crossing but for every day use fan speed is controlled by the temp probe so it not going to turn on until it's needed and then it just spins at whatever speed is necessary.
You can adjust at what temperature you wish the fan to engage too. I just left it stock since I'm running a stock tstat.
It basically works the same way the factory fan on my srt8 works.

I wouldn't doubt with the controller and the new wiring, the motor might even spin faster when demand is there. I feel like my stock wiring has deteriorated and has the similar weakness that the headlight wiring has that Kolak's harness fixes..
post #33 of 72 Old 06-02-2021, 09:27 PM
TonyStadnichuk
1997 ZJ 

I finally figured out how to attach pics. This is what I am dealing with. Transmission cooler blocked with oil and part of the AC condensor. I am going to use brake clean to clean them up. Not sure if your system is the same, but the transmission oil cooler rubber elbow will be hard as rock and need to be replaced. I found mine at NAPA. YOu will need 2. The grommets at the bottom of the rad will be hammered out. Mopar has them but they want $50 each CDN. I cleaned mine up and used some weatherstrip adhesive to glue them up and I will put a layer of silicone to beef them up. I hope this helps.
HassZJ1998 likes this.

post #34 of 72 Old 06-03-2021, 11:30 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
My set up is a Omix-Ada 17105.09 Fan Clutch and Liberty fan blade and cools the crap out of everything. It's a touch loud though.. In the 80s the air is consistently 40+ deg at most times in the middle a.c. vent.

30 min drive today. Stop and go with some freeway the last 10 min.

Low 90s today and this setup was 25 degrees cooler than my efan was last year with the same ambient temp. Ac was 50 to 60 degrees in the middle vent. Engine temp hit over 200 only once. Stayed in the upper 190s and even dropped to 194 25 minutes into the drive. Last year with only the low speed efan, I was hitting 220s 15 min into this route and had to shut off the ac to cool it down.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #35 of 72 Old 06-04-2021, 05:08 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Did a lot more driving and it was 96ish. Stop and go put me over 210 a hair. So not bullet proof. Could have used the high speed efan at the low speeds today. I ordered the DCC controller that polka uses. My cooling also needs a good chemical flush at a shop with a proper machine. That's probably my biggest issue. New cylinder heads are going in soon as well.
post #36 of 72 Old 06-04-2021, 06:08 PM
sldoaktree

Garage
Ive been running into Issues since I got my 97 5.2 started a thread a while back. I have therma cooled the system and when I changed over to my Flow kooler water pump any and all rust discoloration from previous owners neglect was gone. I changed over to the black magic 180 efan setup . I still cant get her to run under 230 with ac on fan pulls great sucks my shirt into the grill if im with in 8 inch . was 107f and with any type of grade or load she runs hot. Ive asked around and some say might have a small crack in one of my heads. No leaks block test showing no head gasket leaks wide mouth Tstat... compression test has all 6 of the 8 with in 5psi of each other at 145-150 but I do have 1 at 140 and one at 160 that are next to each other. Im dreading pulling the heads . Ive got the parts to change them but would hate to have to jeep down that long. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #37 of 72 Old 06-04-2021, 06:23 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Did a lot more driving and it was 96ish. Stop and go put me over 210 a hair. So not bullet proof. Could have used the high speed efan at the low speeds today. I ordered the DCC controller that polka uses. My cooling also needs a good chemical flush at a shop with a proper machine. That's probably my biggest issue. New cylinder heads are going in soon as well.

Be prepared to wait. It took about a month to get mine. He builds all of the orders himself.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #38 of 72 Old 06-04-2021, 07:35 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldoaktree View Post
Ive been running into Issues since I got my 97 5.2 started a thread a while back. I have therma cooled the system and when I changed over to my Flow kooler water pump any and all rust discoloration from previous owners neglect was gone. I changed over to the black magic 180 efan setup . I still cant get her to run under 230 with ac on fan pulls great sucks my shirt into the grill if im with in 8 inch . was 107f and with any type of grade or load she runs hot. Ive asked around and some say might have a small crack in one of my heads. No leaks block test showing no head gasket leaks wide mouth Tstat... compression test has all 6 of the 8 with in 5psi of each other at 145-150 but I do have 1 at 140 and one at 160 that are next to each other. Im dreading pulling the heads . Ive got the parts to change them but would hate to have to jeep down that long. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I'd put the factory clutch fan and shroud back on to see if it solves the problem.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #39 of 72 Old 06-04-2021, 09:34 PM
sldoaktree

Garage
ill try that tomarrow... worst case doesnt work and then back to square one lol the black magic 180 is shrouded and fully overs the radiator. I have it just hooked to the ignition so on when key is.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #40 of 72 Old 06-04-2021, 09:35 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
ill try that tomarrow... worst case doesnt work and then back to square one lol the black magic 180 is shrouded and fully overs the radiator. I have it just hooked to the ignition so on when key is.

Do you have anything in front of the condenser like aux coolers?

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #41 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
since when you have it directly on the ignition ? i'm asking to know if this affects the battery's life (or the whole electrical system) in any way.

also i also like to know if you have any trans oil cooler ahead of the radiator and if so what shape and size please !!

thank yo

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
post #42 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 12:19 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassZJ1998 View Post
since when you have it directly on the ignition ? i'm asking to know if this affects the battery's life (or the whole electrical system) in any way.

also i also like to know if you have any trans oil cooler ahead of the radiator and if so what shape and size please !!

thank yo

The ignition is on or off. It does not draw current when off like the cigar lighter does.

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #43 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

just curious about the radiator in your Jeep !! is it a dual core ?

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
post #44 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The ignition is on or off. It does not draw current when off like the cigar lighter does.

in all honesty i am very poor when it comes to electrical systems, and i am still learning and knowing.

so my question should be that if you have the engine running and the alternator working, if you have more electrical items working (efan, lights, winch maybe !!) will this affect the battery life in any way ? can the alternator keep up with charging the battery ? or the efan will take power from the ignition directly !!

sorry if my question sounds stupid.

post #45 of 72 Old 06-05-2021, 12:58 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.2 engine cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassZJ1998 View Post
in all honesty i am very poor when it comes to electrical systems, and i am still learning and knowing.

so my question should be that if you have the engine running and the alternator working, if you have more electrical items working (efan, lights, winch maybe !!) will this affect the battery life in any way ? can the alternator keep up with charging the battery ? or the efan will take power from the ignition directly !!

sorry if my question sounds stupid.

The alternator that came with the factory equipped efan is 150amp to handle the extra load. Normally they are 136 for 96-98 and were 90amp 93-95.
If the alternator is getting weak it will drain the battery as it starts to fail.
On my 5.9 I could see on the battery charge guage that it was low when the alternator started to quit and the efan kicked on.

HassZJ1998 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in