5.2 engine cooling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Note that the waggy didn't come with an overdrive trans. The OD is a big part of why we have overheating issues on these transmissions.

Also note that for a factory 5.2 the computer will up the idle speed if the temp climbs too high. Mopar knew that the mech fan (and water pump) aren't doing enough at idle to really cool things. Not sure if a 5.9 PCM will do that.

HassZJ1998 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 09:45 AM
AdidasCJ

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Living in the Southern California Desert; I am running the 5.9 efan on my 5.2 with the temp sensors in the top and bottom hose as well. In the dead of Summer with the AC on I see a temp of ~212-215. I also have vent cut into my hood to help ambient heat escape. Make sure your water pump is working, check to ensure the fan shroud is proper and not hanging off and what not. With the fan on, you should be able to have a peice of paper suck to your grill without having to hold it. Ensure your coolant is clean and not full of crap.

Bypassing the trans loop will help bring the temp down a couple degrees, I have mine bypassed that loops through the radiator.

A updated/upgraded aluminum radiator may help. I am running the one from Radiatorexpress their dual row.

Ensure no air is in your cooling system.

Going back to clutch fan in your situation wont be better if you sit in traffic. Efan will work better in traffic.
HassZJ1998 likes this.

96 ZJ 5.2; IRO 4.5, Bilstein 5100s, 265/75/16, IRO OTK, 5.9 efan, 242.
00 TJ 4.0; MOSTLY stock.
post #18 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 09:54 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The radiator express rad is probably hurting you there. With the 5.9 efan you should be able to keep things under 200 if you're not loading up the engine.
HassZJ1998 likes this.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #19 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 10:52 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It automatically ramps up fan speed as needed. There is an on off switch for water and it ramps to full speed when the ac is on. You can set it to different temperature as well.
The liberty fan blade is bolt on and seems to move more air than the stock ZJ fan. I have one but never installed it because I was still tinkering with various electric Gan set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your setup sounds ideal, the way the factory should have done it. You almost have to have it on high anytime the ac is on anyway. I'm just wondering how you would hook this into a 2-speed fan based on their instructions. It just says hook into positive on the fan motor. I would have to assume that you would hook into high speed and leave the low-speed empty on the fan motor itself?
post #20 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 01:48 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

The Derale 14210 Cooling Pan added during my 46RH Transmission Rebuild helps augment the overall vehicle cooling.

post #21 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 04:43 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Your setup sounds ideal, the way the factory should have done it. You almost have to have it on high anytime the ac is on anyway. I'm just wondering how you would hook this into a 2-speed fan based on their instructions. It just says hook into positive on the fan motor. I would have to assume that you would hook into high speed and leave the low-speed empty on the fan motor itself?

Yes

post #22 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 05:31 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes

Is the 75 model overkill or did you get the 45?
post #23 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 05:34 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

5.2 engine cooling

Quote:
Is the 75 model overkill or did you get the 45?

I'm using the 45 but I was over budget fiddling with several different e fans so cost decided that.

post #24 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 06:06 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm using the 45 but I was over budget fiddling with several different e fans so cost decided that.

Would it be better in any way to have the 75a or is the 45 just fine?
post #25 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 06:17 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Would it be better in any way to have the 75a or is the 45 just fine?

I've read people using the 35 and have no problem so the 45 is probably more than adequate for our needs. I've never had any issues with it and it's worked flawlessly since I installed it.

post #26 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 06:22 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Here's an old ZJ related thread about the 35.
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/archive...hp/t-7729.html

post #27 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 07:44 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Here's an old ZJ related thread about the 35.
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/archive...hp/t-7729.html

Great info, I think this is way I need to go.
post #28 of 72 Old 05-31-2021, 08:31 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Great info, I think this is way I need to go.

You're welcome. I was a bit apprehensive to use the temperature probe in the fins and asked what screw in probe for a hose to use and he replied that the fin probe was quite good and that wasn't necessary. It's never been an issue. I put a dab of rtv behind it just incase.
Fyi

HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #29 of 72 Old 06-01-2021, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post
Living in the Southern California Desert; I am running the 5.9 efan on my 5.2 with the temp sensors in the top and bottom hose as well. In the dead of Summer with the AC on I see a temp of ~212-215. I also have vent cut into my hood to help ambient heat escape. Make sure your water pump is working, check to ensure the fan shroud is proper and not hanging off and what not. With the fan on, you should be able to have a peice of paper suck to your grill without having to hold it. Ensure your coolant is clean and not full of crap.

Bypassing the trans loop will help bring the temp down a couple degrees, I have mine bypassed that loops through the radiator.

A updated/upgraded aluminum radiator may help. I am running the one from Radiatorexpress their dual row.

Ensure no air is in your cooling system.

Going back to clutch fan in your situation wont be better if you sit in traffic. Efan will work better in traffic.

thank you Adidas CJ

my ZJ has these 2 cuts covered with louvers on the hood from the factory, since it is actually a 5.9 yet factory fitted with the 5.2 engine, in traffic i do see the heat mirage escaping through them

water pump is good, relatively new, less than 10k miles

the fan shroud, well, it looks good, i removed it the other day to water spray and clean the inner fins of the radiator, it looks good, there is some gap about 5mm (0.19 of an inch) approximately, btw the shroud has these 4 rubber flaps which are (i guess) for letting the air pass if the Jeep is in highway speed or something !!

the efan, well, it works for now, i mean it is keeping the temperature ranging around the 200 ~ 212, yet what i am not sure about is: it works only in the high speed, now, is this because the fan itself or is it a relay ? btw in the relay and fuses box in the engine, there is the fan relay (or fuse 60 amps), and next to it there is an empty slot, on the fuse box cover the designation of this empty slot is blacked out, i didn't do it for sure so i am guessing it is something done at the factory, i tried to read it and it says "cooling fan" and the fuse rating isn't clear and i couldn't read it

for the coolant, do i need to drain and flush the whole system ?

weighing the options, i am contemplating more on keeping the factory set-up and make sure everything is in order.

the factory fitted these ZJs with dual core radiators for this region here, anyway i will be replacing the radiator with a new one soon.

how to ensure there's no air ? i always check the coolant reservoir and add if needed, and i only open the radiator cap when the engine is cold. is there a thing i can do to check if there is air in the system ?

thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-01 at 09.48.20.jpg   WhatsApp Image 2021-06-01 at 09.48.22.jpg   WhatsApp Image 2021-06-01 at 09.48.22 (4).jpg   WhatsApp Image 2021-06-01 at 09.48.21.jpg  

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
post #30 of 72 Old 06-02-2021, 06:25 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Question for polka, how does the controller know when to shut the fan motor off? It doesn't appear to be wired into an on-off switch or am I missing something? I'm guessing maybe that cool down to the radiator happens Within several seconds and it shuts off anyway..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in