42RE ZJ 4.0 Stuck in first - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
dottycfn

42RE ZJ 4.0 Stuck in first

I own ZJ 4.0 1994 with 42RE transmission. It looks like transmission stuck on first. Rear works fine. Just after starting jeep or after P, transmission seems to work fine for about 1 minute or until first/second using brake.
SnapOn shows governor destination pressure correct (value depends on speed), but governor sensor shows 0,49V (0PSI), except situation just after start or set transmission to P.
Doesn't matter if it's D,1,2 - always the same. Fresh oil, fresh filter, new governor solenoid and sensor. Oil level between min and max. Speedometer and odometer works fine. Also TPS, output shaft sensor, linkage. No errors code on OD lamp. SnapOn also shows "no error codes".
What else can I check?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2019, 02:36 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

did you try codes- trans codes blink the OD light IIRC.

Have you double checked elec connector?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2019, 02:42 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

oops you did check codes-

Did you confirm elect connector?
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
dottycfn

Sorry for late response. Long weekend in garage. Yes electrical connections looks fine. Also governor body gasket. My next idea is to try to swap TCM for a while and another to remove main plate (valve body) to check valves.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I'd try the TCM before looking at the valve body.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
dottycfn

I've found another thing. When i dignose trans for the first time with manometers only, and when i removed oil to replace governor solenoid, probably a lot of dirt had possibility to get to the container. When i dropeed the pan second time (after i found thanks to snapon that governor sensor is always at 0 psi) thare was a lot of dirt at the bottom of the pan. Changing governor sensor was a good decision, because it started to show normal values, but ony for tens of seconds. Two days ago I flushed trans with 8l of oil, rinsed governor solenoid, swapped oil filter, and drove few kilometers. It was better. It could go few minutes fine, and than I had to change to P to drove another few minutes. Yesterday I replaced procedure. Now trans seems to work fine, at least by 30km i could drive after repair.
Thanks all for help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in