2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kolak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-13-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

4 Inch Lift Kit question

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I had a quick question regarding various lift kits. I plan on throwing a 4inch full suspension lift on my 96 GC (just looking for a basic lift for trail riding and a good hunting jeep that will take me where i need to get).

When looking at most kits they come with either (fixed control arms or adjustable control arms) for both upper and lower (front and rear).

My question to you all is... With just a 4inch lift is there any benefit to getting the adjustable control arms compared to the fixed (I do not plan on going over 4 inches and will only be running 31's). If i go with the fixed control arm kit it is several hundred dollars cheaper which will pay for an adjustable trackbar.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
If you want a Jeep that handles like crap and rides bad, buy a cheap 4" lift kit with fixed arms.

If you are tight on budget, stick with 2" new coil springs + high quality gas shocks, slap 31s under and stay happy. You won't believe how far you can get with that setup.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 13 Old 07-13-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

Awesome, thanks Timo...

I have seen you all mention the OME with the bilstein 5100's (very enticing). I have the bilstein 5100's and the 2.5" RC spacers on my 2011 WK2 (and I love it).

I was thinking about doing something a little different with the ZJ but we shall see. My 96 ZJ currently has the 249 TC with a bad VC, so I am on the hunt for a 242. Also, I have the rzeppa front drive shaft (before I do anything I will have to swap out the front DS right?) Do you know what year and model of jeep I should look for at the junk yard to swap the front DS with? I have been searching junkyards here in New Mexico for the past month trying to find a 242 case but haven't been successful.

As far as a RC 4" lift kit or the IRO 3.5" kit's go.. You had said that the ride and handling with the RC 4" lift kit with fixed CA's would be crappy. What if i went with the kit that comes with adjustable CA's? Would that make the ride and handling any better? and what is considered a cheap 4" lift?

Thanks again for your help.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 12:49 AM
Kolak
Vendor

I'd recommend keeping the center of gravity lower for best handling. Also ride quality and handling will be better with less lift on short arms because the angle of the arms will be more parallel to the ground at a lower lift height. This is true whether the arms are fixed length or adjustable.

OME springs would be my recommendation if you are going with 31" tires. They're on backorder right now - Covid has caused a lot of product availability issues. OME is expecting more at the end the month.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

Thanks Kolak. I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind.

Now as far as the OME coils and 5100's go.. How many inches of lift will this provide my zj with? I have stumbled across other threads where some have mentioned this set up will net about a 2.5" lift.

Would I need 4 OME HD coils or would I just need 2 for the front and swap the stock front to the back?

If in the future I wanted to add another 2 inches would I be able to add some spacers (ACOS spacers or something else)? I'm sure i would also have to upgrade CA's and front trackbar.

Question regarding my front driveshaft and transfer case:

I have the double cardan rezeppa (I have seen different stuff regarding this type of DS). If I were to go with the OME HD and 5100's would I also have to swap this out for a conventional double cardan or would I be fine?

As far as the TC I have been looking at junkyards for the 242 but haven't had much luck. I have found some online (via Automotix and carpartsource) but they are running $480 -$600. Do you think that is too much?

post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2020, 12:52 AM
Kolak
Vendor

I have the OME HD springs on my 5.9. I got 2.75" of lift but most report 2.25" to 2.5".

You need 4 OME coils. Even stock V8 coils put in the rear will lift 4" or higher. OME springs would likely net 6"+.

If you were to go to 4" lift you could add spacers, but you'd need longer shocks, longer swaybar links, adjustable trackbars and adjustable control arms. That's why a 2" lift is great - you don't need many components so it keeps the cost way down.

Depends on how many miles are on your Jeep but generally your type of front shaft does OK with a mild 2" lift.

I like the 249 and I think you should either rebuild it or get a remanufactured 249. The superior full-time 4WD mode of the 249 is the reason I like it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry505 View Post
Thanks Kolak. I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind.

Now as far as the OME coils and 5100's go.. How many inches of lift will this provide my zj with? I have stumbled across other threads where some have mentioned this set up will net about a 2.5" lift.

Would I need 4 OME HD coils or would I just need 2 for the front and swap the stock front to the back?

If in the future I wanted to add another 2 inches would I be able to add some spacers (ACOS spacers or something else)? I'm sure i would also have to upgrade CA's and front trackbar.

Question regarding my front driveshaft and transfer case:

I have the double cardan rezeppa (I have seen different stuff regarding this type of DS). If I were to go with the OME HD and 5100's would I also have to swap this out for a conventional double cardan or would I be fine?

As far as the TC I have been looking at junkyards for the 242 but haven't had much luck. I have found some online (via Automotix and carpartsource) but they are running $480 -$600. Do you think that is too much?

Timo_90xj and OverlandZJ like this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2020, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

Awesome, thanks for the info Kolak. I will reach out to you directly when I'm ready to purchase the coils and shocks.

First i need to determine whats going on with my tc. I posted a video on YouTube of the sound it makes. Have you come across this sound before? Any idea what the issue might be just based on the sound alone? It makes this sound when going over 20mph and it also has a hard time reaching 3500 RPMs when in drive?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I haven't taken it apart yet.

I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts on the forum.

My youtube account is Sean Geissler video title is "Bad transfer case on my 96 zj - Help needed"
post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Maverickxeo

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Although I have not lifted my ZJ, my TJ was lifted very cheaply when I first got it (4" lift). It was very rough, difficult to handle, etc. I ended up replacing all 8 control arms, the shocks, trackbars, SYE (not really needed on a ZJ, I think?) and since then it has ran great.

There is really a difference in a 'cheap' lift and a 'good' lift.

If it were me, I'd try out a small spacer lift for now - a decent 2" lift with some bump stops/steering stops should allow you run 31s. Above 2", it starts to get a LOT more expensive.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-17-2020, 07:45 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry505 View Post

I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts on the forum.

My youtube account is Sean Geissler video title is "Bad transfer case on my 96 zj - Help needed"

Here you go:

Check fluid level before you go anywhere. It should reach the bottom of the fill port or close to the bottom.

Sounds like bearings to me. Could be a bad u-joint in the drive line as well. Double check those are good.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

Thanks Maverickxeo.. I'm going to keep it simple for the time being in relation to the lift (most likely going with the OME coils and the bilstein 5100's)..

Lordhobbit.. You are the man, thanks for doing that. I checked the u-joint on both the front and rear driveshaft and there was no play and all looked good. I think it's time to open this beast up. Any recommendations on where to get the replacement parts? Also, my local junkyard has 2 zj's (same model and year)... Do you think it would be wise to go try my luck and pick one up for $80-$90?
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2020, 01:28 PM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

Make sure you know which case you have. Crawl underneath and check the tag.

Chances are with jy unit, you'll end up rebuilding that one too.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #12 of 13 Old 07-17-2020, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

Forgot to mention, only the front tires light up on the VIC and not the rear. Not sure if this makes any difference in what might be wrong with the TC.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-26-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Dingleberry505

So I found a 231 TC and installed it and I am still getting the same noise. Would a bad transmission sound like this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in