360 build advice - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
dflewelling
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sioux City
Posts: 274
360 build advice

Hey guys.
Im currently rebuilding a 360 for my 98 5.9. It currently has a decent used motor i swapped in after i first bought it. Looking to build up for a bit more oomph while im in there.

No 7 and 8 cylinders are scuffed, so ill probably have to go .030 over. Pistons are probably going to be KB107s unless i can be swayed by something better. I plan on still running premium so i could make the most from more compression.

The heads are cracked between the valve seats (engine only had 87k on it) so im looking into EQ heads. Anyone know who has best price?

Paired with heads, ill probably get 1.7 HS Roller rockers.

I know nothing about cams that would help me choose an upgrade.

Anyone know how to make some good power?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dflewelling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 16,525
That's basically the ticket, talk to a tuner, I think it's pretty much chris tuned these days since flyin ryan isn't doing jtec.

Not a bad idea to ditch the kegger if you can.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
dflewelling
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sioux City
Posts: 274
First off who is chris and how do i get ahold of him? I had not known that flyin ryan was out. How about hemifever?

Also the hunt for the elusive M1 efi intake is fruitless at reasonable cost.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
dflewelling is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Mopar4U
Registered User
2016 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: west central
Posts: 312
Jeez, what happened to cause piston/cylinder damage and head damage at low mileage? The mopar 318 and 360 were good power plants.
Mopar4U is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 8,663
About the heads, I think Clearwater via ebay is the cheapest. But I would have a shop go over them and that will cost. I would think if you got assembled heads from Hughes they would be ready to bolt in.

Be careful about choosing a different cam because there are so many factors involved. You could end up with nothing but a lighter wallet. A 5.2 cam and 1.7 RRs should give you a little bump without too much thinking. Make sure the cam is hydraulic roller type. Some notes say the cam will work with stock valvetrain and no computer changes needed. Other cams need the heads machined, different springs, torque converter etc. You need to decide how far you want to go keeping in mind bigger cams give you more power up high.

Before I totalled my last ZJ, I was looking into the Crane 2020 or 2030 grind. Very little out there about them. Also the Comp 250 and 256 grinds. I know the Comp 256 and 264 are mentioned on speedfreaks. And there is the Hughes stuff of course.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 16,525
He's here: [email protected]

I've just never heard good things about hemifever tuning. Canned tunes really aren't the way to go.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 20,414
Email or contact kolak from my sig.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

602.841.3355

For your performance needs:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

480.998.366
Texas ZJ1 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
dflewelling
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sioux City
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar4U View Post
Jeez, what happened to cause piston/cylinder damage and head damage at low mileage? The mopar 318 and 360 were good power plants.
Previous owners daughter ran out of oil due to bad plenum, combined with low octane fuel. Blew a hole in no 8 cylinder, scuffed no 7 and 8.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
dflewelling is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
dflewelling
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sioux City
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
About the heads, I think Clearwater via ebay is the cheapest. But I would have a shop go over them and that will cost. I would think if you got assembled heads from Hughes they would be ready to bolt in.

Be careful about choosing a different cam because there are so many factors involved. You could end up with nothing but a lighter wallet. A 5.2 cam and 1.7 RRs should give you a little bump without too much thinking. Make sure the cam is hydraulic roller type. Some notes say the cam will work with stock valvetrain and no computer changes needed. Other cams need the heads machined, different springs, torque converter etc. You need to decide how far you want to go keeping in mind bigger cams give you more power up high.

Before I totalled my last ZJ, I was looking into the Crane 2020 or 2030 grind. Very little out there about them. Also the Comp 250 and 256 grinds. I know the Comp 256 and 264 are mentioned on speedfreaks. And there is the Hughes stuff of course.
Do clearwater heads address the cracking between valve seats? What do they flow vs stock vs eq?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
dflewelling is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 23,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflewelling View Post
First off who is chris and how do i get ahold of him? I had not known that flyin ryan was out. How about hemifever?

Also the hunt for the elusive M1 efi intake is fruitless at reasonable cost.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The m1s I've seen on FlyinRyans Facebook page are going for around 600.
PolkaPower is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome