3 wires on throttle body?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

3 wires on throttle body??

I Know one is connected to the pedal. One I'm assuming is connected to the computer fir idling. The other I don't know about. Is this connected to the transmission? If so does it have anything to de with why my overdrive won't kick in?

My ZJ build, check it out follow along. Advice, tips, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism are always welcome.

My Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

those are cables, 1 for the gas pedal, 1 for the cruise control and 1 for the transmission for "kickdown"

Needs parts?
PM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 AM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

If anything at all the TP sensor on the throttle body might be affecting overdrive, if so if would also affect T/C lock up. Press the O/D cancel button so it stays in 3rd. Now pay attention to 3rd gear and see if you can tell if the T/C is locking up.

It would actually be better to scan the PCM for codes, check the fluid level and condition too. Dropping the pan and check for debris. A lot of trans failures usually start with the O/D unit failing so it may be doomed.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the advice. I dropped the pan. Lots of crud and metal shavings, nothing abnormal for a transmission with that many miles on it. No bits of broken snap rings or anything like that. I had a friend shift though the gears while I watched. The valve body looked good, it may be one of the solenoids, or a sensor. Has anyone noticed if their OD off button lights up momentarily when they turn their ignition on? I'm really hoping to get OD back soon. 800 mile trip next weekend is gonna hurt at 11mpg, granted that's not much more than my rubicon used to get. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

My ZJ build, check it out follow along. Advice, tips, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism are always welcome.

My Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/97-zj-my-rubicon-replacement-build-1261698/
post #5 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Also, I can't tell if I'm getting TC lockout. I'm going to have the codes checked tomorrow or Friday.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by careboy
It would actually be better to scan the PCM for codes, check the fluid level and condition too.
I dropped the pan last night and drained it as best it would. How do I check PCM vs normal OBII?? Please forgive my ignorance. I'm new to the ZJ world.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

I scanned it. Got a tps sensor. Bought a new one. Would this cause me to lose overdrive? Also how in the world do I get that thing off the trottlebody? It must have loctite on it.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 PM
frenchface
1995 ZJ 

I am in the same boat you are, in that my OD just stopped working, and I am about to dig into mine to get it working. Did you have a check engine light when you had the TPS code? I don't think TPS affects OD

Here is what the manual says...
Quote:
OVERDRIVE ELECTRICAL CONTROLS
The electrical controls governing the shift into fourth gear consist of the control switch on the instrument panel and the overdrive solenoid on the valve body. The control switch is in circuit with the solenoid and must be in the On position to energize the solenoid. The transmission must also have
reached third gear range before the shift to fourth gear will occur. The control switch, valve body solenoid, case connectors and related wiring can all be tested with a 12 volt test lamp or a volt/ohmmeter. Check continuity of each component when diagnosis indicates this is necessary. Switch and solenoid continuity should be checked whenever the transmission fails to shift into fourth gear range.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

I do have a check engine light. From your manual this may be preventing "third gear range" at least I can hope for an easy fix.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
frenchface
1995 ZJ 

Have you checked fuse 12? Here is some info about the OD button

Quote:
OVERDRIVE SWITCH
Vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may have an overdrive switch. The operator disables or enables overdrive when the switch is depressed. The overdrive system consists of a switch connected to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and an overdrive ON/OFF indicator lamp. If overdrive is currently enabled, it is disabled when the operator depresses the overdrive switch. Conversely, if the operator already disabled overdrive, it is enabled when the switch is depressed. The overdrive lamp illuminates when overdrive is disabled. Circuit T9 from the overdrive switch connects to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) on vehicles equipped with 4.0L engines or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on vehicles equipped with 5.2L engines. Circuit T9 provides the overdrive signal. Circuit Z1 provides ground for the switch. In the START and RUN position, the ignition switch connects circuit A1 from fuse 12 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) with circuit A21. Circuit A21 powers circuit F87 through fuse 21 in the fuse block. Circuit F87 supplies battery voltage for the overdrive lamp. On vehicles equipped with 4.0L engines, the TCM turns the overdrive ON/OFF indicator lamp ON or OFF by providing a ground for the lamp on circuit G68. On vehicles equipped with 5.2L engines, the PCM turns the overdrive ON/OFF indicator lamp ON or OFF by providing a ground for the lamp on circuit G68.

HELPFUL INFORMATION
The overdrive lamp is a Light Emitting Diode (LED).

OVERDRIVE SOLENOID AND TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC) SOLENOID—5.2L ENGINE
The overdrive solenoid and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid are molded together. Circuit F86 supplies voltage to both solenoids. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provides ground for the overdrive solenoid on circuit T60. Refer to Overdrive Switch in this section. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provides ground for the TCC solenoid on circuit T6.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Gaara123
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchface View Post
Have you checked fuse 12? Here is some info about the OD button
I have the 4.0, although I checked all the fuses. Nothing blown. I'm gonna replace the tps and pray!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in