1998 ZJ Rear Right Speaker not working - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zilliver

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-27-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
21piercj

1998 ZJ Rear Right Speaker not working

My ZJ had stock speakers in the rear doors that were beyond destroyed, I got new speakers but the rear right does not get power. There is power coming out of the aftermarket radio on all channels, and there is power going into the amp on all channels. There is amplified power coming out of all channels except the rear right speaker. Does this mean that something is wrong with the amp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2020, 12:13 AM
riiz

1996 ZJ 

Goto the junkyard and pick up another amp, or you can bypass the amp altogether and jumper the inputs and outputs.

https://installeroutlet.com/products...ler-dodge-jeep Here is a kit that is just plug and play, bypasses the amp, if the new head-unit has the power to drive the new speakers.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 AM
Zilliver
1998 ZJ 

Are you measuring the rear right speaker output directly from the amp?

If you do it from the door, you probably have broken wires inside the rubber loom that goes to the door.
Benthal8 likes this.

98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 - daily
95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 - offroad

post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2020, 02:56 AM
jb1331

Out of all the wires in the door jambs on my Jeep, I have only had issues with the wires breaking on the right rear door.. Easy to fix.. just pull the rubber boot back and check...a few in mine were completely in 2.. strip, solder, and tape..

1997 ZJ Laredo 4x2 I6 Bought 2/1999 @29k, 181k
2004 Jeep Liberty LTD. Bought 7/31/16 @ 118k, 153k
post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2020, 04:56 AM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Step one would be determining if you have current to the speaker itself. Measure from the speaker connector itself or try another speaker. If you get nothing there, then of course you are troubleshooting the circuit between the amp and speaker. You can also connect a 9v battery directly to the speaker and see if its working.
If you plug a scanner into the DLC and scan the body, does it show any faults on that rear door?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2020, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
21piercj

I tested there is no power coming from the speaker hookups in the right door, no power from the connector in the pillar, and no power coming directly out of the amp for the rear right speaker, I’m leaning towards just going to the salvage yard and finding an amp if possible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in