1998 Grand Cherokee - No Spark, Replaced all the Usual Suspects - Any Ideas? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
kwbunn

1998 Grand Cherokee - No Spark, Replaced all the Usual Suspects - Any Ideas? - FIXED

I have a 1998 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L 6-cyl. One day, it completely stopped running while my girlfriend was driving it home from work. She had complained that it was rather rough and had hesitated for a few months before that (possible symptoms of a bad crank sensor), but the truck had recently had transmission work and I blamed it on that because it was convienient.

Anyway, I got the truck back home and started checking out things, and ended up replacing (in order):

-Spark Plugs (old ones were shot, electrodes worn way down)
-Ignition Wires
-Distributor Cap
-Rotor

After I replaced these items, which needed replacing anyway, the truck still wouldn't start. It'd turn over, for sure. But no start. I checked the fuel supply, and it was under pressure at the rail. I checked for spark, and got none- I grounded the electrode of one of the new plugs against the motor - nothing.

So, then, I came here, did some research, and replaced the:

-Crankshaft Position Sensor

Still no spark!

So, today, I decided to replace the:

-Camshaft Position Sensor

Nothing. Still will turn over, and won't start. I checked for spark again, nada.

So. basically, I'm stumped. I'm running out of things to replace.

I have a couple questions:
- I used the "girlfriend with small hands" method to remove the old crank position sensor and put the new one in. Is it possible that she didn't push the sensor in far enough so the flywheel scrapes off the paper? I've been reticent to take it out and check, because, of course, the spacing may very well be perfect anyway, and I'd have to jury-rig another paper spacer to reinsert the sensor. It is also an aftermarket sensor from AutoZone. I've heard that those were crap, but it's hard for me to believe that the thing would fail on the very first run.

- Any other ideas? An interesting point: When I took that new plug out to check for spark, it looked to be firing at one time- the insulator had some gray discoloration from what looked like usage.

Anyway, I'm out of thoughts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

The winner of "who can figure out what's wrong with Kevin's Jeep first" award goes to-

*drumroll*

nashmd454 - Sort of.

I replace the coil - no spark, still. Frustrated, I go into the PDC and start swapping relays. No joy. Then I find a 30A blown mini fuse...I swap it with another and the darn thing starts up. A little research on here tells me that it's one of those "everything in the whole world" fuses. I decide to keep the coil in - it's in that circuit, and *something* had to blow that fuse, plus the coil wasn't that expensive to worry about. I decided to keep the rest of the ignition parts in (of course! - it needed new ones anyway), the crank position sensor (a pain to get in/out - not worth it, plus it's a high-failure item anyway - but I'm still keeping the old one in case it's good), and performed an air filter swap and an oil change. I'm taking back the cam position sensor.

Thing runs completely different now. More power, smoother starts, smoother shifts. Hopefully I got the fuse killer by replacing the coil. We'll see. A big THANK YOU to everyone who responded. This community is one of the big reasons I've decided to keep my truck - you won't believe the mods I've got going on in my head now...

Last edited by kwbunn; 06-08-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Repaired Problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Katesdad

I noticed you didnt mention coil. Someone on here had a coil that the ground went bad on. Coil might be, could be, coil. I dont know how to test a coil but someone on here should be able to tell you.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 01:56 AM
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

its proably the coil...

im gona put it the same way hunter did

"ZJ coils are the devil"

hard working private first class in the United States Marine Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Katesdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY View Post
its proably the coil...

im gona put it the same way hunter did

"ZJ coils are the devil"

Funny how some coils last forever and others just make you want to pull your hair out.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 09:02 AM
nashmd454

1996 ZJ 

it couls also be as simple as a relay. Check the relays inside the black box behind the batt. Start with the fuel pump and so on. You can just swap one with another to find out. Like take the intermittent wiper relay and swap it around...and then on with the bigger relays.

96' JGC V-8 5.2L ltd.
way too much to list.
Thought for the day:
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in