1997 ZJ Transmission and ECU problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-15-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
egorkan
1997 ZJ 

Garage
1997 ZJ Transmission and ECU problem

Hi all

I have 1997 JGC 5.2 limited edition. Couple of months ago, oil cooler of transmission was damaged and coolant in the radiator is mixed with transmission oil. After that we replaced the radiator and transmission oil. But transmission was damaged.
After we rebuilt the transmission my mechanic told me that he did something wrong and damaged the ECU as well and he already replace it with the new one. But after all these my car is able to run but while changing from 1st to 2nd gear, car wobbles for couple times then continues with other gears with no problem.

we drive it with this problem for couple of weeks. then car stops. transmission is damaged once more.

we rebuilt the transmission again. But it still wobbles while changing from 1st to 2nd gear. when we remove the transmission, we saw that solenoid valve and the pad on the 2nd gear is damaged.

we believe that the ECU which was replaced is not working properly. Is there a way to check that ECU if it is okay or not? If not is it possible to find a new one?

Appreciate for your help

Regards

Eralp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Got_Skim

You can use a ECU from 96 or 97 JGC with 5.2 engine. Local junkyard or ebay would be cheapest.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

Wobbles?

What do you mean when you say it wobbles into 2nd gear? Do you mean the transmission flairs? My jeep used to slip into 2nd gear and now it flairs. By that i mean when you give it medium throttle and it is supposed to shift into second, it instead shifts into what seems like neutral, RPM's climb without moving the car, and then RPMs drop until it grabs 2nd gear, then the rest of the gears are fine. I can see how watching the RPMs dance around a bit might be described as wobbling....

Either way, how do you figure the solenoid is getting destroyed by the ECU? Like the ECU is commanding bad shift points? I would think this issue sounds more internal to the transmission. I am no transmission expert though.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
egorkan
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Thank you for your reply Got_Skim;

But here in Cyprus we don't have such a cars in junkyards . They love driving European cars and Japanese cars

And In ebay, I couldnt find one which is for my car.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
egorkan
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Hi LittleFootZJ

Thank you very much for your correction. Correct word should be Flare .

It's like it's starting in 1st gear, shifts to 2nd, then suddenly back to 1st then shifts to 2nd for couple of times. Sometimes it starts with 2nd then 3rd then back to 2nd.... Then it continues with other gears without any problem.

I am not mechanic, and I am not mechanic expert. but the guy who rebuilt transmission told me that it is because of dead solenoid valve on the 2nd gear. And cause of the dead solenoid is ECU.

What do you think? Transmission flare is caused by dead Solenoid? and all these are caused by ECU?

Thanks again for your message.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 AM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

It's very unlikely that the ECUs caused damage to the solenoid.

The PCM controls operation of the converter clutch, overdrive clutch, and governor pressure solenoid. The shift valves are moved by a combination of
throttle and governor pressure.

Sounds like either the throttle cable needs adjusting or the mechanic made a mistake in the valve body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
egorkan
1997 ZJ 

Garage
1997 ZJ Transmission and ECU problem

Update on the problem:

We changed the damaged solenoids and find out that there is a damage on the pads of 2nd gear. we replaced them all once again. But now after changing from 1st to 2nd gear, it quickly shifts(Within 1 second) to 3rd gear. It seems that it doesnt want to stay at 2nd gear.

Any idea about that new problem? All answers are appreciated.

Last edited by egorkan; 01-05-2017 at 03:31 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorkan View Post
there is a damage on the ?? pas ?? of 2nd gear.
No entiendo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

PAS. Shop talk for Planetary And Sun??? That's all I got. And it's probably not much. Good luck.

1998 Laredo 4.0L 4x4, 242 TC. Turned over 200K miles in 06/18. Original owner.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
egorkan
1997 ZJ 

Garage
upppsss sorry. It is supposed to be gear pads (clutch pressure plate).

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
post #11 of 11 Old 01-05-2017, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
egorkan
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Update on the problem
We change the kick down cable and adjust it again. But problem didn't solved. Then we change the valve body a minute ago. We drive it for 400-500 meters and all the gears are ok up to now. We will test it all day long and let you know final situation.
Thanks again for your messages.

Last edited by egorkan; 01-05-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Tags
ecu , pcm , transmission , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in