1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Finnmalloy04

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling

Hey guys I am 16 and I am looking into getting a Jeep as I am a huge Jeep enthusiast lol. Any who I am looking at a 97 ZJ for 1K but it says that it randomly stalls. Should I avoid it or not and would anyone maybe know what the problem could be? They say they took it to a mechanic and he could not find the issue. Any info helps! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
104402099_1182965652067872_8421790756706160637_n.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 PM
sldoaktree

Garage
Could be a whole lot of things... how long does it run for? Does it smoke when it does run? Is it 4x4 straight 6 or v8? Could be crankshaft sensor could be pcu... could be fuel pump or maybe iac .. theres lots of parts in junkyards ...
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2020, 10:50 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

There are a bunch of simple common things that can cause stalls, we have a good starting point: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...talls-1407423/

If you're willing to do diagnosis and fixes yourself you'll probably be able to get it sorted, and it'll be a good learning experience.

Which engine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2020, 10:17 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Something else to point out. You said you're 16 and a huge Jeep enthusiast, so I figure you want a 4 wheel drive. I can't tell if that is a 4x4 sticker back by the taillight. A lot of these came as 2 wheel drive. Some people think all Jeeps are 4 wheel drive.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2020, 10:31 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Also, I don't know if it is simply the photo and shadows or whatever, but the front fender and hood don't look to be the same shade of white as the rest of it. Maybe they have been replaced after a wreck. That might not be a big issue to you. It seems to be a pretty good vehicle for $1000. I would buy it. If you can find the culprit yourself and fix the stall, you might be able to fix it for nothing (if it is a shorted wire) or up near $300 (if you buy a new computer, a.k.a. "PCM"). You might be able to find a PCM in a junkyard vehicle for $30 or so. LKQ here gives you a 30 day warranty, so if that PCM is a staller too, you could take it back if it does it quickly enough.

Let me explain that. There can be problems inside the PCM case that cause stalling, so you wouldn't know until you put it on and tried it. People on here call those PCM's "stallers". They might run fine 99.9% of the time, but it still dies randomly. Companies sell reconditioned or what they call remanufactured PCM's but a lot of people have reported on here that the one they bought was bad, either a random staller or run a little while and go dead. So the problem inside the PCM is not getting fixed in those cases.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2020, 09:07 AM
demagogue

1997 ZJ 

Garage
These things tend to have a lot of electrical problems. In my experience it's most likely:

• Bad grounds, so clean up all of those
  • PCM needs to be replaced
  • Idle air control valve (IAC) is bad. You'd see this if it struggles to idle.

But like others have said, it could be loads of other things. Just sort of depends on the symptoms. I've seen a bad power steering pump stall the engine too.

2002 KJ (Owned 2005-2015, RIP)
1997 ZJ Limited
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
1974 Ford F-100

Tags
jeep , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in