YJ wiper upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ wiper upgrade

I did a search but was getting too deep into it. I'm sure my question is in there somewhere but, not finding a thread I thought I'd ask...

After getting a new 4.0 motor installed in the YJ I'm still motivated to keep going to making it better. My non tilt steering column is the next issue and I'd like to replace it with a tilt...The Jeep is a base model with no frills so my question is if I get a tilt column the wiper switch will most likely have a intermittent setup. If I change to the tilt column can I change the wiper motor, I have a TJ wiper motor, and add a different relay and end up with intermittent wipers?
Thanks!

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you need the intermittant control module that goes under the dash, not the motor

https://www.ebay.com/p/1537458527?ii...xoC9rcQAvD_BwE

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 10:31 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The intermittent wipers are controlled by a little box under the dash, it's velcro'd on to a little plate. The box is plentiful in the bone yards on XJ's and simply plugs between the plug from the column and the dash. So,,,, if the box were to go bad, you'd have no wipers, unplug the box and plug the harness back together you have wipers but no delay.

**EDIT** Didn't see the other reply. Yep, that's the box you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 01:45 PM
jkbrereton

I have the module but am not sure how it hooks up. Is there a special harness between the wiper motor and the column wiring harness?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 04:25 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrereton View Post
I have the module but am not sure how it hooks up. Is there a special harness between the wiper motor and the column wiring harness?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Not a special harness, just a plug that connects two sets of wiring, the box goes between. I don't know how deep it's tucked in without the box. With the box it's barely above the bottom edge of the dash on the driver side, wide flat plug.

You have to have the multifunction switch in the column that has the delay function as well for it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
you need the intermittant control module that goes under the dash, not the motor

https://www.ebay.com/p/1537458527?ii...xoC9rcQAvD_BwE
That's awesome news! Thanks to all of you! I have access to a rolled over XJ I'm going to grab it tomorrow. I think I'll also grab the column out of it too. Wrangler columns are like finding hens teeth. I found a post that goes through how to mod it to fit the Wrangler. Here it is If your interested.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Jee...g-Column-Swap/

post #7 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 08:47 PM
shaggyjim
Joy can be found anywhere

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Early Chevy S-10’s are the same Saginaw column as the YJ if I’m not mistaken. Might try looking into that instead if modding XJ one.

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
......YJOTM June 18......
post #8 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Early Chevy S-10’s are the same Saginaw column as the YJ if I’m not mistaken. Might try looking into that instead if modding XJ one.
No mods needed? It just bolts in? Would you know what years to look for?

post #9 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
No mods needed? It just bolts in? Would you know what years to look for?
That column was used in a multitude of GM vehicles but the closest match is first generation S-10. Bolts right in. I think I may have had to drill a hole where it bolts to the firewall but nothing else. Wiring harness plugs right in.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #10 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 11:40 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
While you’re at it, stock YJ wipers are 12 inch. 13 inch will fit; and you wouldn’t think so, but it’s a world of difference to go to the 13 inch wiper. They’ve become a little more difficult to find but they’re available or a very busy part store will have them in stock

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
That column was used in a multitude of GM vehicles but the closest match is first generation S-10. Bolts right in. I think I may have had to drill a hole where it bolts to the firewall but nothing else. Wiring harness plugs right in.
Believe it or not we don't have any junk yards around here. Looking at columns on eBay, not too thrilled at what some of them look like and what they want for a tilt column. SteeringColumnsGalore.com is on of the places I've checked into. For the price of some of the eBay columns I can spend the same money and get a complete rebuilt with new keys and even painted to the color of my interior. I may just pull the trigger and get one of theirs.

post #12 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
Believe it or not we don't have any junk yards around here. Looking at columns on eBay, not too thrilled at what some of them look like and what they want for a tilt column. SteeringColumnsGalore.com is on of the places I've checked into. For the price of some of the eBay columns I can spend the same money and get a complete rebuilt with new keys and even painted to the color of my interior. I may just pull the trigger and get one of theirs.
where do all the old cars go?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #13 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
where do all the old cars go?
They go to heaven. That is except for demonic Chrysler models.

I know a guy that usedta drive to NC, SC, and TN and bring back rust free junkyard pickup beds for stuff in demand up here. NC has junkyards.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in