YJ Window Regulator Removal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
94YJ94

1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Window Regulator Removal

I have some old full steel doors that have been neglected for decades. When driving home I was rolling my window up (which was back breaking) and about half way up there was a loud crack and it completely froze.

When I got home I took the panels off and tried to do some trouble-shooting. The crank now completely spins freely, but the window doesn't move. Pretty sure the regulator is bent, or a tooth broke or something else is off track.

I am trying to pull the regulator out but the four screws that hold it in place feel like they are welded. Nothing I use right now (aside from trying heat) will work at getting these out. I don't understand how they are so tight, it's an interior door panel sheet-metal screw...

I've attached a picture of the screws in question. Has anyone else had issues getting these out? They are Phillips head screws, and I haven't stripped them out yet, thankfully, but man they are impossible to turn out. Can I fix this without taking the regulator out? It feels like the teeth just aren't lining up, or something is off track when cranking the window crank.

Attached Thumbnails
YJ Regulator Screws.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2021, 03:33 PM
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My regulator only had the four screws, not the lower 5th one. The only thing holding the window up is the regulator, so if the teeth are mis-aligned, I would assume the window would have fell down inside the door. Either way, you have to detach the regulator from the window, and remove the window, before you can remove the regulator.

The famous...gaucho door rebuild

The YJ is no longer my DD. I have sacrificed all future retirement plans for jeep parts. I'm depending on social security!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2021, 05:46 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That’s an awesome thread^^^^

Did the cup that retains the operator shaft bum out? Also, if the tracks come loose that can bind things up.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
94YJ94

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Heat was the answer.

I got them out with a torch. Now that I have it out it looks like the crank mechanism is either off it's track or the spline broke, something isn't right. It just makes a clicking sound every time I crank it, and it stays on the same tooth. The crank mechanism is riveted in. I ordered a replacement part and will be installing it instead of the original.

When I broke it trying to roll up my window, I'm pretty confident something cracked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in